New tube day!

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
Took a little drive today to pick up some tubes from an advert on the web… seller was a radio hobbyist who was thinning the herd.

With tube prices getting in the silly range, $5-$15 per tube seemed to good to pass up. I picked out some 6V6 from Ken-Rad, a few Sylvania 6BQ5 and even found a Mullard 12AX7 in there.

Curious to hear what the GE 12AX7s sound like in the preamp! No, I will not be taking the day off work to trial in various amps. Already had that discussion with the Mrs. 😂

97DCFE10-815C-4740-BE5E-1EB461D84261.jpeg

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
The JAN RCA 6V6 sound is great. I installed them along with the Mullard 12AX7 in V1. The Mullard is throaty and forward but the RCAs give the amp much more clarity across the whole range. It has really opened things up but still more experimenting to do in some other amps.

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
These JAN RCAs got the trial by fire last night, and between those and the Mullard in V1, I’m quite satisfied. The amplifier (Blue Angel) had a persistent, grating high frequency harmonic that I could never dial out with EQ, and the low end was either farty mud, or nonexistent. I attributed it to limitations of the four Jensens, but after replacing the stock STR power tubes and that one in the preamp, the issue is gone. All the creamy frequencies are sparkling and clear now, the bass is defined but restrained and the Jensens sound like Jensens, not ice picks.

FCFE517C-89D9-47A2-83D3-7B848F325600.jpeg

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
Took a little drive today to pick up some tubes from an advert on the web… seller was a radio hobbyist who was thinning the herd.

With tube prices getting in the silly range, $5-$15 per tube seemed to good to pass up. I picked out some 6V6 from Ken-Rad, a few Sylvania 6BQ5 and even found a Mullard 12AX7 in there.

Curious to hear what the GE 12AX7s sound like in the preamp! No, I will not be taking the day off work to trial in various amps. Already had that discussion with the Mrs. 😂

View attachment 1030516
A few years ago I had a job where we'd do property inspections of buildings that were getting ready to be demolished, and I stumbled across a shed on a property owned by a guy who had passed away. I was told I could take anything I wanted out of the property (there were only a few things left anyway) because it was all going to be leveled and disposed of anyway.

There was a huge box of NOS tubes, in the original little boxes, many of them stored in larger boxes of the same kind. I'm talking a LOT of old tubes. Well, I wasn't playing guitar at the time, didn't know anything about the scarcity of NOS tubes, or anything like that. So what did I take home? Some old newspapers with historical headlines and a crappy beige rotary phone from the 70's because I thought it would look cool on my bookshelf.

I'm still kicking myself....