1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Toy Day? Ebow!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FosterF, Jan 12, 2012.

1. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

Not exactly a pedal but I figured this was a good place for this post.
    So I found one on craigslist the other day for $70 and I figured I had a little extra cash and it would be a cool toy to use with my style of music (Christian Contemporary/Rock)
    I'm going to go pick it up tonight but I wanted to see if anyone here has ever used one and what they thought about it?
    Thanks guys,
    -Foster

2. mal paso

mal paso Banned

I have an E-bow, and I don't use it anywhere nearly as much as I thought I would!

That being said, they are fun, and I'm glad I have one.

(especially fun with delay)

3. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's

kewls, i have been waiting for one cheap to show up here on CL too.

4. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

I used to have one back in the day to do "cello" parts on a P-Bass. It was fun, didn't use it much.

5. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I used to have one. although it was a cool toy, I found it difficult to use except when just goofing around. I ended up selling it.

6. dwlb

dwlb Tele-Holic

I think it can be a fantastic tool. A few years ago I was using it on rock tunes, in film scores, for sound designs...there's lots of fantastic stuff you can use it for. I wound up reaching for the ebow so often that I had to put it in a drawer for 6 months just so everything didn't have ebow all over it. I didn't put it down because I was tired of the sound so much as I felt I was reaching into the same hat for the same rabbit too often and I needed to stretch myself. I did recently pull it out of the gig bag for a set where I was backing up a singer and acoustic guitarist, and got some really nice audience response (as well as good response from the performers, who hadn't heard one before).

7. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

So the guy never showed up and stopped responding to texts and phone calls. So, I'm without an Ebow! There's another one on the local craigslist so I'm gonna contact him and hope for the best!

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I *heart* my ebow! Pair it with my ancient Boss DD-2 with leads out to two amps and it's a trippy psyche-fest.

And one of the nicest things my old band ever recorded featured an ebow crying sweetly behind the chorus. Cellos be damned.

9. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

What does a used Ebow fetch these days?

PJ

10. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

Rather than getting the one off of craigslist I found one on eBay for the same price, shipping included. So I jumped on it! It should be delivered sometime next week!

I got mine for $70 and it seems like that's pretty normal. About $65 - $80.

11. BootRoots

BootRoots Tele-Holic

Mine was really just an expensive battery holder. Never used it as much as i thought nor mastered getting the volume swells right. Novelty wore off in a week or two.

12. RocknDrTom

RocknDrTom Tele-Holic

I have one of the early ones in a chrome case. Had to get it bacause of Phil Keaggy and Big Country. Loved the "bagpipe" sound. Haven't used it in years, but it was great fun when recording multiple ebow tracks, creating synth like sounds. I should get it back out and use it again.

13. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

it's heavenly to use if you have the EHX Cathedral Reverb. I set it on infinite reverb and just jam out with the ebow....

14. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

I was watching the Sigur Ros live dvd "Inni" last night, there was a track where the bass player was using an Ebow and I started thinking, "I'd like one of those..."

15. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

It FINALLY came in the mail today (eBay guy waited a full week to ship it.) I played around with it a bit and I really liked it! Love the violin swelling sounds. Also got it to sound like a flute! I'll definitely be using this at my gigs this weekend! Hopefully the artist will appreciate it :p
    Out of curiosity what types of sounds do y'all make and how? Like how do you get the "bagpipe" sound?
    Thanks guys!
    -Foster

16. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

I don't know, I kinda think that making such frequent, gratuitous public displays of your personal religious beliefs is a bit crass... oh wait, that says e-bow! Nevermind. :lol:

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

SR is incredible!

Back OT (if we were ever off) - if the eBow doesn't cut it and you like fuzz pedals, it is possible to get some fuzzes to do something similar to an eBow or Fernandes Sustainer, with the plus that you get to have your hands free. It requires some unorthodox "tricks," though. IDK how applicable it would be in a practical sense, but I did get it to work, with endless sustain (to my own surprise).

Just FYI.

I gotta see SR. Hopefully soon!

18. effcee

effcee Tele-Meister

The thing about an E-Bow is, you're really not going to come CLOSE to appreciating its capabilities until you PRACTICE using it. There are some real E-Bow masters out there, like Bill Nelson, who spent many, many hours making beautiful music with said device. If you just yank it outta the box and toy with it like it's some kind of novelty device, sure, you might not 'get it' at first.

Read the accompanying manual, visit their website (very instructive) and learn how to use it properly. I've been an E-Bow fan since it's development in 70s. I have 3 of them (all different types) and I've never lost my affection for that unique tone.

Tip: E-Bows work best with humbucker pickups, the neck pickup being the most effective. But people use them in all sorts of ways on different instrument, so feel free to experiment. Develop your own E-Bow style, they're good for more than one thing. Swells, endless sustain, even arpeggios, there's lots to learn.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got one on the way, courtesy of a fellow TDPRI-er. Never tried one before, I'm excited to check it out.

20. TheMick

TheMick Tele-Meister

I completely agree. Used to have one and didn't play with it enough to ever use it live. If I would have taken the time it would have been a great device to keep around.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.