New Tool Day (CNC)

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Guitar novice, Oct 28, 2015.

1. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Congrats Matthew , you're getting there . My rapids are set at 600 ipm x & y , z is 400 , my work/cut speed is set 350 ipm x & y , z is 250 (although I'll never cut at those speeds ) , the fastest I cut is when I surface my spoil board and I do that at 200 ipm , that's plenty fast enough for me . I'm not sure what accelerations settings are set to as my machine was set up in factory and I have not changed the settings , I'll have to look when I get a chance .
    Hope you get the spindle going soon . Glad you are getting good support from the manufacturer , I've read a little on that outfit on the CNCZone , and have seen some of their people even post responses there , looks like a good outfit . I had my machines control computer remoted into by CAMaster to activate my fast tool change feature and it was a pretty neat experience , I sat there on the phone with the tech and could hear him typing on his keyboard and watch my computer screen opening files and such and he even ran a test file remotely .

2. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Whoops. Put my last post on the wrong thread.

Got the coolant hooked up last night.

Ready to do first cuts tonight. I was going to press the button and come back and grab the guitar but instead thought i might try getting a simple circle done for the next week 8v)

Matthew

3. Guitar novice

first cuts.

The accuracy seems pretty good. The design had a 5mm circle and square. The difference could be the bit I'm using. I'll worry about that later. Next I need to work on dust collection. A bigger job is going to create a lot of mess!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks pretty darn good.

5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Errrrr! 5mmMatt?

:twisted:;)

It looks like a very neat cut on the girl's names.

DC

6. Guitar novice

Just testing....:oops:

7. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

This is fun isn't it? Dealing with the dust is a must. This thing will spit dust at an incredible rate.

8. Guitar novice

its very challenging and fun at the same time.

Ive got a few things to work on. I need the surface the spoil board. The spindle speed control is not quite right. I have a laser tachometer coming in a weeks time and i think that will let me tune the vfd and spindle with mach 3.

lastly the dust hood provided doesn't seem to let the z go to the top. I plan to make sure I'm not having a blonde moment and if not design and cut a new one.

Im half way through making a tinker bell door sign for one of my girls. It failed to cut properly due to an incorrect feed speed. Should be an easy fix and will pick that up again on weeke b d.

cheers

Matthew

9. Guitar novice

Quick update. Received the tachometer today so I started measuring the spindle speeds.

The speeds seem to be working in reverse. I made a quick table of my findings. I have sent an email to mach support to see if they can point me in the right direction.

[​IMG]

Cheers

Matthew

10. Guitar novice

Not a lot of progress here. Life seems to be getting in the way.

Hopefully this weekend I can spend sometime on working out how to get better spindle control.

I would like to try some V-carving. Anyone have any recommendations of v bits to use?

Cheers

Matthew

11. Guitar novice

It's been a busy month so I haven't had a lot of time to learn the machine.

I've designed a little tinker bell with my daughters name underneath.

I went to run the G code and the bit was slammed into my spoil board.

Can anyone see if it's a G code issue?

Here is the start.

(1)
    (T2 D=3.175 CR=0. - ZMIN=-4.5 - FLAT END MILL)
    G90 G94 G91.1 G40 G49 G17
    G21
    G28 G91 Z0.
    G90

(2D POCKET2)
    M5
    M9
    T2
    S24000 M3
    G54
    M9
    G0 X213.082 Y201.075
    G43 Z16. H2
    Z6.
    G1 Z3.817 F230.
    X213.08 Y201.072 Z3.769 F100.
    G2 X213.073 Y201.063 Z3.721 I-1.196 J0.917
    X213.062 Y201.049 Z3.676 I-1.189 J0.926
    X213.046 Y201.03 Z3.634 I-1.178 J0.94
    X213.026 Y201.006 Z3.597 I-1.162 J0.959
    X213.002 Y200.979 Z3.564 I-1.142 J

Cheers

Matthew

12. guitarbuilder

Hard to say. Nothing shows up in Mach as far as a toolpath, but I'm in inches.
    The only z- is in your notation in your first line of code.

Remember minus Z is a downward movement, plus z is upward.

By the way, I remove all that stuff that isn't necessary in the code. Lube on and off...etc.

Do you need that tool length offset G43?

13. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you may have the motor direction reversed for the z in the mach3 configuration. Can you post images of your configuration screens?

Also, do you have simulation software like cutviewer to run it through? If not, you can post all the gcode here and I can run the simulation and see what happens.

Another possibility is that you hadn't set the z zero (and x zero and y zero) before starting. Did you place the piece on the table then move the router to it and zero the axis?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  14. Guitar novice

Hi guys

I'll read up on that tool length offset.

Downloaded cutviewer and made a simple square program that had z go up and down many times. Did it as an aircut. Z was dead on.

I got more config settings from the chinese. They seem to have fixed all the issues.

Life is getting in the way of spending lots of time on the machine. Hopefully this weekend I'll get more time and try a real project.

Cheers

15. Davecam48

Geez Matt! I'm glad it's you having to learn all that stuff. Today I used my manual X-Y cnc and cut out four templates of a body I want to build as an acoustic to make a mould for forming it up and it only took me about an hour to cut the four sections and another hour and a half to assemble it. With a cnc and this old worn out brain, I'd be here until doomsday and still stuff it up.
    Anyway mate I'm sure you'll get the hang of it and then you'll just be able to throw a block of wood in and pull out guitars by the dozens. ;):twisted:

Hope you're having fun with it all.

DC

16. Guitar novice

Its a challenge. I didn't get any instructions for the config from the vender. This meant I had to learn lots of stuff about my machine wiring etc. At least it gave me a good grounding.

I think things are going to get easier from here on.

Looking forward to seeing the acoustic build.

Matthew

17. Guitar novice

Good day today. I was able to sneak into the garage for a few hours and managed to finish my first project.

Started with this.

[​IMG]

Imported this jpg into the fashion 360 software. Then created a vector drawing by tracing over the top and eventually converting that to a 3d model.

This is how it came off the machine with no touch up. Note: only using crappy packaging mdf. wasn't confident to use anything decent. One small mistake. I reset the Z half way through the project and it took a vertical line out. Looked like it was ramping down to that location so I think its user error. Have to read the mach3 manual to see what I did wrong there.

[​IMG]

Couple of runs through the drum sander. Error has disappeared.

[​IMG]

Time for my girls to paint it..

Couple of interesting points.
    The S in the name took ages. It does the top part then bottom part and finally does a run all the way across. Weird.. i assume there is a reason why the CAM did that.

The plunge rate was way to slow and the feed rate probably too high. Most of the time was wasted in waiting for the bit to come down. Given that I was nervously holding the reset button that slower speed suited me.

Cheers

Matthew

18. Davecam48

Looks like a win Matt!

DC

19. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Looks good Matthew , congrats on the first project . You'll get the feeds and plunge speeds figured with practice , also keeping Z height clearance close to material saves time too on up and down z moves .

20. guitarbuilder

Looks good! Some text tools have fewer movements. You should check them out, you can always do the graphic and text separately.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.