New Tool Day (CNC)

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Guitar novice, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

It's finally arrived.

Got delivered this morning. Between excitement I was thinking my wife is going to kill me. This thing looks big when packed! Better lock the garage door until I take it apart.

[​IMG]

Had late meetings today so only started to unpack later that night. The day seem to take forever..

Lots of electronic stuff..

[​IMG]

I notice that the emergency stop has come loose. just needs to plug back in.
    I think during the shipping it must of taken a bit of a drop. The machine was packed very well and they had timber wedging the feet so it couldn't slip sideways. When I unpacked it one of the feet was on top of the wedge. This thing is heavy so it must of been a big shake of the container.

[​IMG]

The black stuff looks like some sort of material to act as a spoil board. One of my first tasks will be to surface it.

[​IMG]

Spindle looks big. It's liquid cooled. Does anyone know if I just use distilled water or do I use car radiator stuff?

[​IMG]

Here is the extent of the instructions...

[​IMG]

I'm impressed with the first impressions. The machine looks very solid. Everything is tidy and looks well made. I've got a box of goodies that I need to work out what they are used for (bits etc)

Cheers

Matthew

nickhofen likes this.
  2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome machine. That's definitely a nice thing to have in a shop.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

cool...now that looks like a machine....

4. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Congrats Matthew , now make sure you've got plenty of wood to keep that machine well fed :lol: . Looks like a nice beefy machine , on your coolant from what I've seen on some of the forums is distilled water and RV antifreeze , distilled water will not cause mineral deposits inside your spindle or water pump and the RV antifreeze is pet - safe and will keep algae from growing . There's plenty of info on coolant online . Check out the CNCZone online , they have forums for the Chinese machines , should be plenty of tips there .

5. Guitar novice

Time to get organised.

Went through the bits that they sent me and it looks like a collection of engraving type bits (really sharp point). As i'll be away next week I thought I should order up what I need now so I can start making mistakes on my return.

Computer is being sorted today.

Was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

Router Bits

I saw a post in 2012 suggesting the following bits.

Ehawley
    Endmill 3/8 x 3
    endmill 1/4 X 2/12
    endmill 3/16 X 1 3/4
    double end 1/8 X 1
    0.24 Carbinde for Fret Slots
    1/4 Downward spiral
    0.625 ball endmill for contour bodies
    3/16 ball for truss rod channel

Marty
    1/2 X 2" for straight and perimeter
    0.5 roundnose
    .5 shank X .25 cutter for pickguards

Has the school of thought changed on these? Not sure how many flutes I should get and whether to go with just carbide or go with some other options?

Any preferred suppliers (I've seen drillman on ebay being mentioned a few times)

Collets
    I'm a bit confused on the ER stuff. The collets I have have 1/8 on one and the other has 5 6 mentioned (no idea what that is but it's slightly bigger than 1/8). I think I need to get a collet for 1/2 inch and 1/4.
    I assume I need a decent quality so I don't have run out. Is Precise bits the place to go or would you recommend somewhere else?

Cheers

Matthew

6. guitarbuilder

As far as guitar making router bits are concerned. The Freud, CMT, or Whiteside brand have stayed sharper longer. I only have used 2 flute woodworking bits and no spirals. I do use an engraving bit, 1/8" and 3/16" straight as well ,in a 1/4" collet on the router. You'll have to consider what you carve in 3D too. It may require bits that haven't been mentioned.

7. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Every Luithers dream tool haha a machine that basically pumps out amazing guitar kits and yes lots of wood to make it worthwhile.

8. adirondak5

Matthew , you've got an "ER" collet on your spindle , what size is it , ER 15 , ER20 , etc ? What ever brand ER collets you get you need to stick with that size range . I would suggest you use a decent brand as they are really not cost prohibitive , here is a link for ER collets and sizes they are available in , both SAE and Metric sizes .
    http://www.usroutertools.com/er-collets-s/262.htm

As far as bits go I would stay away from double end bits , Precise Bits has the small fret slotting .023 bits , and some good tapered ball nose bits for 3 D carving , good stuff , not cheap . Common size spirals I use are 1/8" , 1/4" , 3/8" and 1/2" , upcuts and downcuts , most are 2 flute , I do have some 0 flute bits (1 flute spirals) for plastic cutting , I also have 1/8 , 3/8 , 1/2 shanked ball nose bits for finish work . You can find some good buys on Ebay , drillman1 was already mentioned , his small bit , the Kyrocera brand are pretty good , Whiteside spirals are also pretty good . I stick with mostly carbide bits , with care they last a good long time , V bits are also good to have , for v carving letters or scribing on projects or engraving , 60* - 90* x 1/4 or 1/2 shank . Read all you can on the various cnc forums , most have instrument building sections , but really any wood project on cnc's are cut pretty much the same way . The link I posted above for the collets they also deal with spiral bits , I have some of their Southeast brand carbide spiral bits , good stuff . My most used bit for guitar work is a whiteside 3/8" shank down cut 2 flute spiral 1 1/4" cutter length , I use it for neck profile , neck pocket , control routes , pup pockets , for body profile I use a 1/2" shank down cut spiral with a 1 3/4" cut length (on 1 3/4" thick bodies) , when you start getting into the bigger bits length wise things can get interesting with clamps and Z-clearance . I try to remember to mention bits I used with particular projects in my machine thread , but you'd have to look through it for more info . Hope this helps a little . Oh , one word of caution with your ER nut and collets , when you change out collets for example from 1/4" to say 1/2" make sure you snap the collet into the nut properly , you can see a good example of what I mean on Precise Bits website , you should hear and feel it snap into place , if not you could ruin the spring collet and collet nut , and damage the spindle cone , here's the link http://www.precisebits.com/tutorials/er_collet_system.asp

9. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Matthew, Nice looking machine! That should spit out some wood chips.

My guess would be that you have an ER20 nut and collets. That seems to be the standard for the 2.2kw spindles.

I mostly use Whiteside bits. Have had pretty good luck with them. I have also purchased a number of small bits from drillman1. I have a couple of the .023" fret slots bits from precise bits but I also bought some .024 and .021 from drillman1. Much less expensive. If you have a little run out on your spindle, say a few thousands of an inch, then using a .021 inch bit for fret slots might work better.

Enjoy your time off and dig in when you get back! Looking forward to seeing it in action.

10. Guitar novice

Thanks alot guys.

Definately er20.

looking forward to starting making chips.

Matthew

11. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congratulations Matt!!! Enjoy!

DC

12. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

The ER collets I've got experience with cover a 1mm range. The 5-6 means it's suitable for shank diameters 5mm to 6mm. For 1/8" shanks, you need a 3-4 collet. 1/4" require a 6-7. And so on. For metric shanks, I vaguely remember hearing something about a preference to use one collet over the other (i.e. 7-8 or 8-9 collet for a 8mm shank), but I forget. Either way, the CNC I use uses a 7-8 collet for 8mm shank bits.

My bits of choice (and the ones I have experience with) are solid carbide spirals from Onsrud and Belin. Leitz are also apparently great. I get my Onsrud bits from Amazon.com. I think you can get Onsrud and Belin from Multicam Australia, if you prefer to go local.

I've got a Whiteside 1/4" 2 flute compression spiral coming my way, so I hope it's as good as I've heard, and therefore on par with Onsrud.

13. Davecam48

Built anything with it yet Matt?

:D:twisted:

14. adirondak5

He's getting his blanks sorted Dave :p

[​IMG]

15. Guitar novice

No progress. Im away for a week so just organising cutters etc.

The more i read the more i realise there is a lot to learn.

matthew

16. Davecam48

Thats a nice collection of planks there Herb, going to make some chopping boards?

DC

17. adirondak5

They are not mine Dave , wish they were .

18. Guitar novice

Quick question..

Should I have limit switches on all axis?

Looks like I have some limit switches but just 1 on the x and y which I assume is for a auto homing procedure. In the box of goodies there is a spare limit switch (but not 2).

Cheers

Matthew

19. guitarbuilder

My machine has 3 limit switches for homing, XY and Z. I'd love to have 6 to stop the machine if it ran amok the other way :).

20. adirondak5

My machine has 3 limit switches also X , Y , & Z like Marty's for homing the machine , soft limits are set in the control software for movement away from the switches . I would ask the manufacturer about that Matthew , I would think there should be a limit switch on the Z axis at the upper limit .

Edit :

Matthew , I looked a bit on CNCZone and while I didn't find much info I did find a few post saying there were limit switches on all 3 axis on JCUT 6090 , 3 limit switches total .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.