New to the Forum

Sgrady41apache

TDPRI Member
About to buy my first Telecaster in 40 years. Looking at the Fender American with a rosewood board, thought I would ask opinions, Fender is confusing compared to the old days.

birdawesome

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Can you be a little more specific with what model or series it might be? There’s a lot of variance between series like the performer, professional, and American Original (now replaced by American Vintage II)

That will help us out in giving some specific opinions.

Welcome to the forum!

kuch

Friend of Leo's
Welcome aboard!

If you're looking for suggestions here's a pic of my '11 American Standard Ash Tele. Excellent guitar with great body, neck, hardware and electronics.

good luck in your search

20220331_123010.jpg

Sgrady41apache

TDPRI Member
Sorry, thank you for the replies, this is the one I was looking at.

Have played Fender Basses a long time, but mainly other brands on the guitar, but miss that original Telecaster from way back.

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
Fender is confusing compared to the old days.

That is absolutely correct. After over 50 years of playing I've come to realize that it's not Teles that are confusing it's Fenders marketing hype that makes them confusing. In fact Teles are the most simple strait forward guitars ever produced. Every body and neck made by Fender whether they be cost effective or expensive are of player quality and there is virtually no significant difference between the bunch of them. Go to this site or others like it, choose what you want whether it be parts or loaded body and your choice of neck and then take it to GC, Sam Ash or any other qualified tech and have them screw it together and set it up for you. You'll save a bunch of bucks and end up with a great guitar that is personalized to your own specific requirements.

Here's mine - American performer body, American Standard neck, Gotoh hardware and Fender 52 Reissue pickups.

1671000125272.png

Last edited:

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
First Welcome, and right it is confusing, especially for such a straight forward guitar. I will say if you can get out and play some. My only opinion is don’t limit yourself to the American made Fenders. Both my Teles are Mexican Fenders. Your call, but I do not feel the differences in quality justify the price hike for an American.

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
First Welcome, and right it is confusing, especially for such a straight forward guitar. I will say if you can get out and play some. My only opinion is don’t limit yourself to the American made Fenders. Both my Teles are Mexican Fenders. Your call, but I do not feel the differences in quality justify the price hike for an American.
Truer words were never spoken. My case in point is this Korean made Fender branded Special Edition Koa (same as the Lite Ash with a koa top) that I picked up some years ago for $350. I think they run about twice that now but still a killer deal. It lacks nothing compared to my American Standard. American made Duncan pick ups, birds eye maple neck and pearl markers. The smart move these days is to forget about the expensive hype and go with the actual specs.

1671003032789.png

Last edited: