New to Telecasters

Miker15200

TDPRI Member
Hello all,

I’m somewhat newer to guitar, started playing as an adult roughly two years or so ago. I have a very cheap Squier Strat but am looking to make an upgrade.

I found a 2003 MIM telecaster with a maple neck at the local shop with noiseless pickups for $500 that seems to be in very good condition. I am torn between that and a new Player Strat as the local shop did not have many used that I was interested in.

I generally like to play blues and some older R and B and rock and roll but I do like the countryish sound as well but haven’t dived into playing it yet.

Any insights on which guitar might better suit my needs?

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
That Tele sounds like a fine deal. But you do want to put some time into this. Ask the shop when they could let you play for a longish while. Bring your amp in to pair w/ the Tele, or play the shop's amps that are most like yours or like the amp(s) you're thinking of pairing w/ the Tele. Play mostly cleans so you have a solid basis of the guitar's tones that you might be modifying w/ pedals or whatever effects you like.

The neck matters most, as your fretting hand's comfort is what's most crucial to how fluently you'll play that guitar. You can always swap out/in necks, but the right neck on a guitar you might buy is the biggest factor.

A guitar that's been in the shop might need new strings, a set-up, etc. So it might be better than it seems. Do you know a good tech who can give it a once-over?

Welcome to Tele-world, and good luck in your search.

Miker15200

TDPRI Member
I don’t know a good tech but have a friend I trust who has been playing a long time.

I have a basic Fender frontman amp from a boxed set I go when I first started so I’m leaning towards grabbing the cheaper tele and using the price difference towards an amp upgrade in the near future.

Thanks for all the tips!

turfdoc

Tele-Meister
Welcome!! I always remember the words of Chet Atkins..."its the pickups, man...its the pickups." So if you find one has a neck that fits your hand and has a good sound, that's the ticket to me. Be sure and try some different amps if you can.

Electric Warrior

Tele-Holic
Really debated on whether or how to respond. Do either of those guitars "wow" you? If not...maybe keep trying stuff out to see what really moves you. But if they do, go for it. Any guitar that makes you want to pick it up, or daydream about picking it up, is the right guitar. At least for me, ymmv.

Miker15200

TDPRI Member
Really debated on whether or how to respond. Do either of those guitars "wow" you? If not...maybe keep trying stuff out to see what really moves you. But if they do, go for it. Any guitar that makes you want to pick it up, or daydream about picking it up, is the right guitar. At least for me, ymmv.
I’m new to the game so they all do! But your point is right, I think the tele might be it, I’ve stopped by several times to mess around with it.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
No idea what suits your needs. To me the best guitar is the one that feels good enough I want to play it. So the right neck shape for me is the best. That said, try the Tele if you have a Strat. It will be a nice change. And it will feel comfortable but more simple and you’ll discover twang.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
There were a lot of Player Strats on sale at GS for $699 recently, if you want to go that way.

I'd play both. See if you like the Tele. It's very different from a Strat IMO. Sits differently on your leg, against your chest, and standing up. Feels different playing.

jeffrotan1

TDPRI Member
Welcome, just joined TDPRI along with you yesterday afternoon. Been reading posts on here for months & these guys know a lot!

The Telecaster neck fits well for me personally, maple neck & fingerboard on mine. Like you, I've been visiting guitar stores venturing into new territory, & I'm picking up 2 or 3 guitars per visit and checking out amps but usually just 1 amp per visit. I'm ignoring the "name" on the stock and seeing what feels right on the neck mostly. I keep forgetting to strap on those 2 or 3 and stand up. Good excuse to go back?! Cheers

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Welcome!

2000s MiM teles are great. I prefer them to all the current production Fender MiM stuff, but I'll admit you can't find much choice in colors anymore compared to more recent models.

If you like the neck, go for it. The pickups were upgraded, and you can change them again if they aren't your speed (the stock bridge pickups in those were great for blues and rock, the neck pickups were usable but lacking in character, even once raised).
$500 is about where I see good condition 00s MiM teles listed (black, white, burst. Other colors sell higher, like sage green metallic and midnight wine) without cases. $50 higher with a case $50-$100 lower with chips and buckle rash.

If you aren't wanting to play the used market and wait on a used US model in the $800-$900 range, and don't want to spend dough ona new Player series (which aren't as worth the price as other current Fenders, IMO), the tele would be a wise move. They'll probably stay around $500 for a bit, condition pending, if you try selling it later.

Enjoy!

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Welcome from Albuquerque New Mexico. You have stumbled upon a subject that has been passionately debated over the years, regular pick-ups versus noiseless PUs. The issue is noise produced produced by std magnet PUs thru tube amps. I have owned a Nashville Tele with noiseless and my present Player Tele with Alnico 5s. I play through a Fender Bassbreaker15 with five tubes (pictured). I am under the theory that the news Player series guitars are shielded better than the previous MIM guitars.Zero issues with mine. Play on!
20220103_151039~3.jpg