1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New to Telecaster -- How low is your action on a 7.25 radius

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bdub415, Nov 30, 2020.

1. bdub415

bdub415 TDPRI Member

Hi There, I've played guitar a while but am new to telecasters. I have a 52 reissue tele with a 7.25 radius board that I really dig. My high e string chokes out around a full step when I bend on the 13th fret or higher. I understand that a 7.25 radius board limits how far you can bend to some extent and that doesn't bother me.

My question is can anyone with a 7.25 radius tell me precisely how low their e string is and how far they can bend it without choking? My high e string sits at 1.7mm from the 12th fret and chokes out after a full step bend after the 13th fret. I do my own setups and quite like the current action and am curious if it's even possible to get more out of the bends with this string height.

Thanks!

Terrygh1949 likes this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The exact numbers don’t matter. Just raise your strings until you can bend as far as you want without choking out. Then just get used to playing with the strings that high. What most people consider to be “normal” action these days is ridiculously low by the standards that were around when these guitars were invented.

3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I’m bored, so I got out the action gauge.

1.75mm at the 12th fret and I bent 1-1/2 steps without choking out at the 15th fret. Frankly, I’m not sure if that’s considered high, low, or medium action.

That being said, I just leveled and crowned the frets (got the neck used over the weekend). It doesn’t have much relief in it.

4. bdub415

bdub415 TDPRI Member

The numbers matter to me because i setup my own guitars and as someone new to a 7.25 radius I would like a baseline as to what is feasible before wasting a bunch of time tweaking my guitar.

5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I try to shoot for 1/16th or 5/64 (1.58mm or 1.98mm). I'm happy at 5/64 but if I can drop it a little lower that's good too. And that's measured at the 12th fret on a 7.25" radius neck as well.

aFewGoodTaters and Fretting out like this.
  6. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I go about 4/64 on my 62 AVRI - does not choke anywhere on the neck with at least a step and a half to two step bends.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

+1 . High action is how I set up my '63 Strat back in the day .

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

This makes no sense whatsoever.

The numbers very well might matter to you, but that doesn't mean that's right. They shouldn't. The bottom line is that when the string doesn't choke out...that's the minimum height you need to use. And whether you are doing it yourself or not has zero bearing on the matter. Setting up ones guitar by number is going to lead to disappointment. They are adjustable for a reason. Every one needs to be set up differently, for its user and its intended purpose.

Getting a 7 1/4" board to not choke out with a one step bend is well beyond "feasible." It's child's play. Like I said, just raise your strings until you get there, then learn to play the guitar that way. Hardly "wasting a bunch of time tweaking." What's really wasting time is setting up a guitar to numbers, and expecting it to just work.

Case in point of why the numbers of the situation don't really matter. 4/64" is lower than the OP's strings. Why? Because you ain't him and he ain't you.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Erebia, RichCuellarPDX, Tyuk and 8 others like this.
  9. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

EsquireOKFriend of Leo's
    “The exact numbers don’t matter. Just raise your strings until you can bend as far as you want without choking out. Then just get used to playing with the strings that high.....”
    This Is The Way

10. bdub415

bdub415 TDPRI Member

Thanks. And just to confirm that’s a 7.25 radius?

11. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Yes exactly, numbers from someone else’s guitar will be wasting a bunch of time tweaking your guitar to the numbers of someone else’s.

My suggestion is get a fret rocker and start checking for high/low frets. If your frets are perfect then you should have no problem with crazy low action bending strings with a 7.25 radius.

I do all my own setups also and the first thing I do is check the frets to see how level they are. If you want low action this is what you have to do first.

myteleplaysjazz, beagle and Boreas like this.
  12. bdub415

bdub415 TDPRI Member

Thanks steve.

13. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

I levelled the frets on a friend's '62RI Tele Custom years ago, and was able to push 1.5-step bends on the high E at 1/16" action.

With a rounder radius, level frets become more critical for this.

String height at the nut is also a factor if you're measuring the action with the strings open.

El Tele Lobo and Fender-guy like this.
  14. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Bending without fretting out, is also facilitated on that 7.25 radius, by kind of flattening the radius at the bridge, on the B/E strings. I also worked around the radius by using light(er) gauge strings. The lighter tension, means you can crank the action higher and get a nice clean note.

Charless, Boreas and Electric Warrior like this.
  15. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I’m gonna do this as well, I guess I havent ever really sussed out what the action is with actual numbers....

16. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I got this on both my 62 Daphne Tele and AVRI 62 sunburst.. both set up the same.. string action, relief, etc etc.. exactly the same..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

robinn and El Tele Lobo like this.
  17. bdub415

bdub415 TDPRI Member

Sounds like at 1.7mm i should be able to bend full step and a bit more on the higher frets on a 7.25 radius is that the consensus?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  18. bdub415

bdub415 TDPRI Member

I meant higher frets apologies.

19. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

2 things: 1. Make sure your frets are level. Most guitars, including new ones right out of the box, can use a fret level. 2. Lighten your touch. I've found that a lighter touch takes care of a lot of fretting out. Takes a bit to learn how to bend with a light touch. Also, as above, adjust action to match your playing. The numbers are just starting points . Adjust from the recommended numbers, not to them.

20. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

Here’s my partscaster and broadcaster, low action, 7.25 radius, no choking out. This is because I levelled the frets. So if you’re choking out while bending then check the frets first, it takes one high/low fret to choke out and cause all kinds of issues.

That’s if you’re going for low action. You can raise the strings to the ceiling if you wanted to but that’s not fixing a problem, just bypassing it. A proper fret level means you can slam or raise action without issues anywhere on the fret board DCD03D80-EEF6-43D4-BE9D-76FEA771C21D.jpeg 5DBCC2B2-96A9-483D-A8E0-AEA5FDF32F6D.jpeg

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.