New to Strats, high E string keeps breaking

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by juxtapolice, Nov 7, 2020.

1. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

Here is a photo of the Custom Shop Number One. You can see the red tubing.
    9211003800_gtr_frtbdydtl_001_nr.png

juxtapolice likes this.
  2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe get some saddles that have longer slots, or file out the slots on your existing saddles, especially the high E. The string shouldn't be touching there IMO.

I had a 64 Strat, every time my buddy would play it he would break my high E string, that was a LONG time ago, I didn't know much of anything about guitars back then.

juxtapolice likes this.
  3. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

Awesome tip. Must have been Cesar Diaz? There is a great video on YouTube of him giving tech tips.

JIMMY JAZZMAN and juxtapolice like this.
  4. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

EJ uses a different saddle for the small E.
    Rene Martinez used a small 'tube' to cushion the small E at the locations where the string contacts the inertia block & the saddle.
    Buy extra small E strings; I always purchase a couple of 10 packs.

5. bluesguy62

bluesguy62 TDPRI Member

Yes, Rene Martinez did mention that in a couple of interviews I've read.

6. dannyh

dannyh Friend of Leo's

this...I’ve had a couple strats with this issue. Running the string through a piece of wire insulation was a quick fix.

czech-one-2 likes this.
  7. Chuck berry

Chuck berry TDPRI Member

Well here's my 5 cents worth. Those saddles are not made for huge bends you can but only to a certain degree. At that particular time fender made the saddles in this way. The same as the saddles that has only three blocks. My question is did you try the saddles with grooves in them that allows them to move from side to side? If you did and it still does it there must be a problem between the bridge and where the string where the string enters. There must be a small point somewhere you can't see that breaks the string.

8. Tark1

Tark1 TDPRI Member

If it is breaking where the string exist the top of the bridge plate, the bridge plate hole has a sharp edge. It needs to be smoothed and rounded. SRVs tech used to do that with a fine abrasive Dremel tool bit and add a length of PTFE sleeving over the string just long enough to stick up past the hole in the bridge plate.

9. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Like other above have mentioned, I would take the bridge apart- remove the saddles, and remove the bridge from the tremolo block and look at everything individually to check for burrs or sharp edges.

Also, because I feel that it hasn’t been mentioned before, Rene Martinez used to slide wire insulation over the SRV’s string where they break over the bridge plate. :twisted:

Foxguy and AAT65 like this.
  10. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

You saddles also seem not level but tilted to the left in the pic. Each saddle should have the same height where both height adjustment screws are. Otherwise the string will move sideways when bending. This would cut the string.

11. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Thank you. Was actually working on it as I saw this notice. Just popped a modern, gotoh style, bridge saddle on the high E for kicks, as it has a lot more clearance. Setting up now and the guitar is feeling really good

12. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nothing to do with tension. There is a flaw / burr on the saddle causing that.

13. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

IMG_20201111_150912166.jpg
    Seems like I was able to fix. Was indeed something to do with the saddle/bridge relationship. My guitar looks like it has a gold tooth now but I kind of dig it. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions

Antoon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.