New To Modellers, Buying Advice Needed

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted

RolandG

Tele-Meister
Of your list I’d go for the Helix. There’s more to modelling than just the amp sound. A lot of overdriven amp sounds rely on a tube screamer or other drive pedal in front. The Helix will allow you to model different drive pedals, and also model chorus, delay or reverb.
Great point! Much more than the amp sound! The workflow for programming and recalling your patches. How many pedals you can add before running out of processing power. The ever-elusive "feel" of the unit.
FWIW I use an AxeFX myself, but I think that’s a step too far for the OP.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I use a modeler often, currently a Hotone Ampero II (competitor to a HX Stomp). If you only are interested in amp simulation, there are modeling pedals designed just for that. Boss IR-200, NUX Solid Studio are a couple of examples. There are also pre-amp simulator pedals or even amp-in-a-box pedals. The simplifier is another option: https://www.simplifieramp.com/simplifier-classic

tomasz

Tele-Holic
I am lurking to get into modellers for years now and always had hesitations on all the models out there. Recently I heard the GX-100 and want to try it out, for the first time in years. I owned some Line6's, Boss's and Zoom's back in the day, but this one seems to be on another level. Haven't tried one yet, so it's not a recommendation, but I'm very curious myself.

colchar

Friend of Leo's
I am lurking to get into modellers for years now and always had hesitations on all the models out there. Recently I heard the GX-100 and want to try it out, for the first time in years. I owned some Line6's, Boss's and Zoom's back in the day, but this one seems to be on another level. Haven't tried one yet, so it's not a recommendation, but I'm very curious myself.

I've settled on that one, and have ordered one. Greg Delaune (spelling might not be correct) offers packs of patches you can buy for reasonable prices so I will do that to save myself all of the tweaking.

I will be keeping my Orange AD30 and will just have to decide between a modeller or an Orange Rocker 15 Terror which can be brought down to extremely low volumes. I think the modeller will win based on versatility.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
Call it bean-counter mentality, but when (not just if) you decide to move on or move up to another toy of the moment and want to sell it, chances are you will find a lot more people that are familiar with the Fender name; moms and dads probably won't know squat about amps but they'll spend money on a known brand for their kid more readily than something they've never seen or heard of.

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
MX5. I've used GT1, L6 Firehawk FX, RP360 before the MX5. I love the portability since I'm a home player and travel a bit. Amp sims are outstanding in my opinion, and I like being able to load a good amount of IR's. Just figured out how to use my android tablet for loading and saving IRs and Rigs also.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm not too different from you, OP - not a technophobe exactly (I use plenty of tech at work) but I just want to play guitar.

One thing to consider is just get one of the newer practice amps. I'm a huge, huge fan of my Yamaha THR10c, it sits in my home office with a guitar plugged into it all the time. Turn it on and start playing. No computer interface. I like the Deluxe and the AC30 settings on it just like I do IRL. It sounds really, really good for the volume it puts out. If you like heavier tones one of the other THRs might be better, IDK.

I have owned the HX stomp for about 6 months and just dreaded learning to use it, and it seemed so complicated and frustrating. Still does at times, to be honest with you. But then I downloaded some pre-made presets from a third party vendor and it came to life. I still needed to tweak it and so on, but the basic sound was all of a sudden good, really good. Things like the Helix are so powerful they sort of need to be complicated to do what they do. Honestly it is amazing all the things it can do, but like you I just don't need to do very many of them. And if you just want to plug in your guitar and rock out you will probably hate it.
So I can recommend the Helix for sounding good, but not for simplicity.

MarshallHeart

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve decided to try a modeller. I will be moving from a fully detached house into a townhouse in the fall and a modeller will be a lot more neighbor friendly than my tube amps (Orange AD30 and a ‘70s Traynor YGM3, with the Traynor possibly on its way out). Plus, a modeller will be versatile and I like the idea of that versatility. Unfortunately, I am also a bit of a technophobe so I plan to program a handful of patches that I can use and don’t want to go too deep into the editing when doing so. Hell, I would prefer to avoid IRs if possible as those are getting too technical for me.

At first I will use my Boss GT-100 into a studio monitor, but I want to buy a more modern unit. I will continue to use a studio monitor (or two?) as a speaker even after buying the new unit.

Because I have no experience with modellers (the GT-100 has only been used in stompbox mode) I need some advice on which to get.

Right now I am considering:
Boss GX-100
Boss GT-1000
Boss GT-100 Core
Headrush MX5
Headrush Gigboard
Headrush Pedalboard
Line 6 Helix LT

Can folks here comment on the ones on that list that they have played? Pros and cons of each? Which would you choose?

My priorities are good tones from the amps and ease of use. I do not really use effects so only need functional effects. Amp tones and ease of use far outweigh effects for me. I only play at home and never record so my needs are quite simple. I play classic rock, ‘80s metal, blues, and some country so I do not need any high gain or modern metal tones. And the older I get, the more I am coming to appreciate a truly great clean tone from an amp.

Based on all of that, which of the units listed would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Believe me,a Kemper is the only thing you need and the closest to a tube amp. I'm a tube snob (13 amps) and also have modelers (Amplifire,BOSS,Vox,Line6 etc.), since I have a Kemper, my tube amps stay cold...I can't believe how real it sounds and feels.
And it's "amp wonderland"...just bought Profiles of my dream amps that would cost me thousands of $$$ for almost nothing (15$)
If I want a super rare and expensive preamp from the 80s used by Dann Huff...I just download it.
Profiling is a different league...don't waste your time with modeling

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
My current kinda amazing rig is - Various dirt pedals into the Hughes and Kettner AmpMan - with an Ampero II in the loop for IR/Delay/Room Air/EQ for Fletcher Munsen Correction and studio compression. Its the best of all worlds. The Amp man is the best analog amp sim I have ever used, and I think I have used them all. I use it like I was using the Simplifier, but it is WAY , WAY better at everything. AND the power amp is REALLY good, not the uncolored big power of the DV mark Stuff, more guitar power amp flavored. Crushes it at bedroom level through a V30 1x12.

Activateclint

Tele-Meister
Just my opinion but after trying and being disappointed with a lot of digital amp modeller sounds, feel etc and if you're still going to have a monitor making noise and also not into recording why not just go for a small 5 watt tube amp like the Bugera V5? Probably get one 2nd hand for $100-200.
If you want practical, digital, 0 noise, can record and plug in if necessary go the Fender mustang micro headphone amp.
If you want a budget but good sounding low latency IR loader with digital FX and analog drives, headphone, amp and direct outs, I have the NUX cerberus and it's awesome, just needs a really bright IR loaded.
Anyhow you may have already decided but every time I think I've got a great modeller sound I plug back into the tube amp and there it is warm juicy tones massaging the harsh shards of cold digital ear fatigue from my eardrums lol. Nothing compares yet that I've found. Although apparently the new UAFX units (dream, ruby, woodrow) are VERY close.