New to me PRS CE24

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Ringo, May 24, 2020.

1. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I know there's not a lot of PRS love here, but I love this guitar! It's a 2018 PRS CE24, bolt neck (very solid feeling!) reminds me more of a Strat / Tele neck.
    Super easy to play, the pickups are great too, when split to single coil they sound "Fenderish", good clarity and not a huge drop in volume.

Our band was able to get together and play some yesterday , man have I missed that!
    The PRS was very comfortable and it sounded great.

thumbnail_IMG_20200523_202044.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200523_202102.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200523_202051.jpg

2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

In spite of what I've read here, I have met and have known plenty of PRS players, and none of them are dentists.

They are awesome guitars. Even people who don't like them will say that they are great guitars. It's really kind of weird. I guess our natural instinct is to be repelled by anything that is awesome that doesn't say Gibson or Fender on it.

3. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice looking guitar. I’m a PRS guy (have two) and love them.

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

That’s awesome
    I’m glad PRS brought back the CE series

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Qstick

Qstick TDPRI Member

Looks great. If they would bring the 22 fret version out of retirement I’d buy ASAP.

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Ringo

I'm certainly not a dentist or lawyer! I've had several PRS guitars a 87 Standard, big wide fat neck and rotary pickup switch, but it sure played and sounded good, SE Satana, S2 , and now this one, so far this is my favorite feeling and playing guitar, I did like the S2 Std 22 neck a lot though!

Skub, Jakedog and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

That's a nice one; congrats!

The PRS "Pattern Thin" neck is really pretty similar to a Fender Modern C in terms of depth and shape, but of course it's 25" scale instead of 25.5" scale.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How would you compare the build quality and playability (feel, fretwork, etc) between the S2 and the CE?

9. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice.

I'd part with money for a PRS long before a Lester.

aging_rocker, djh22 and Jakedog like this.
  10. Ringo

They are both good, the CE24 is a step up in the line in between the S2 and core PRS models. CE has a bolt on neck vs set neck on the S2.
    FWIW the owner of the store where I got it, Revolve Music (he has a website and Reverb store too) told me that his favorite PRS guitars are the bolt on neck models.
    I'd love to have a Swamp Ash Special but they quit making them ,guess the Silver Sky replaces that model

Both the S2 and CE24 are easy to play, great fretwork.
    The CE neck feels a bit more like a Fender neck to me.

Jakedog likes this.
  11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Funny thing, I just bought a CE Semi Hollowbody last week. I would have been able to resist if not for the neck-the '90 in my avatar is a Wide/Thin carve, and the Pattern Thin on the CE just felt like a comfy old pair of jeans to me.

IMG_2099.jpeg IMG_2100.jpeg

12. Jakedog

That’s beautiful.

Frodebro likes this.
  13. Jakedog

I ask because PRS is on my radar again. And I’m looking specifically at the S2 and CE models. I’ll never own another Core. They’ve just gotten far too expensive for me to consider any longer. I regret letting go of the ones I had. But what’s done is done.

I know they (S2 and CE) both have three piece necks with jointed heels and headstocks. I know the S2 models get “PRS designed” pickups and hardware from overseas, while the CE models get the pickups and hardware from the Core models. Just wondering what the major quality differences are in the build/fit/finish, or if there are any. I could see the builds being totally even quality wise, given the small price difference, and the hardware/pickups differences. I just don’t have any place to try these out. The only local dealer is GC, and they never have anything in stock but the SE stuff. Which I have no interest in.

There was a time I’d have laughed if anybody told me I’d be considering a guitar in that price point with a scarf jointed neck, but times change.

14. Ringo

Pretty! I like most of the blue PRS guitars that I have seen, that one looks great!

15. Ringo

I think both S2 and CE have the same tuners, same bridge, it’s not the USA PRS core term bridge, but the bridge worked fine for me on the S2 and seems fine on the CE. I don’t know that upgrading the bridge would make much tonal difference, the USA bridges are around $300 or so.
    CE has better pickups, not sure about pots and switch, I haven’t looked yet.

Base S2s are all mahogany body with the satin finish, Custom S2 gets the figured maple top, but still lower in the lineup than the CE models.

I try to buy used so I don’t get beat up if I sell or trade down the road, you can find good deals on the S2 and CE models used, Geoff at Revolve is a great guy to deal with, he often gets nice used PRS guitars as guys will trade up or for different color etc...

Jakedog likes this.
  16. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

Congrats! I own a couple of the models in the PRS SE line - a SE 245 and a SE Custom 24. Very nice guitars.

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kewl!

18. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Lovely guitar man. Enjoy it. I had an S2 Custom 24 and later got an Al Dimeola.
    Love it.

19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

They had 2 different versions of the Swamp Ash Special - the original version was HSH with a rail-type single coil in the middle, and they used an odd switching with a 3-way toggle switch and a push/pull pot. I played a few back then but I just can't recall how the wiring was set up; I do recall that the rail pickup was a Duncan; they were using Duncan P90s back then as well. The revised version had 3 of their Narrowfield pickups, which were PRS's take on the Gibson minibucker (as found on Les Paul Deluxes) with a 5-way blade switch. Again, it's been forever since I tried one out but I think this one had the normal Strat-type 5-way; it's also possible that it was wired so that position 3 was the neck and bridge together like the Custom 22 Soapbar (I did have one of them back in the day). And of course back then the CEs and Swamp Ash Classics had the same specs and hardware as the set-necks so they had the same body carve, 1-piece neck, etc., just that the necks were bolted down instead of glued down.

EDIT: It totally slipped my mind but the original HSH-style Swamp Ash Special converted to the 5-way blade switch in 2006; I confirmed that that version and the 3 Narrowfield version had the 5-way set so that position 3 on the 5-way was in fact the middle pickup by itself.

I wouldn't say that the Silver Sky replaced these; the Silver Sky is a 100% Strat-style guitar built by PRS.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  20. pcampbell

pcampbell Tele-Meister

Congrats, and glad to see you got that from Revolve. Geoff's store is my favorite, by far.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.