New to me camera day

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
As many of you know, I had a successful side career as a wedding/event photographer for over 25 years. I’ve been retired from that, though, since digital broke through with comparable quality to medium format film cameras - plus, it’s a young person’s game. “Don’t get around much anymore.” :)

I still have my Bronica SQA bodies and lenses, along with three 220 film backs; sadly, 220 film isn’t available anymore, but I still have a 120 back that I used for portrait work. I also still have a Yashica Mat 124G, just like yours, OP. It backed up my Bronica system, and saved me on more than one occasion when multiple failures occurred. (Before the Bronicas, I carried three Rolleiflex 3.5 Tessars - and traded them in when ALL THREE lost flash sync on the same job. IMO, overrated POS’s.) That Yashica has more than one 20x24 portrait shot on my former clients’ walls. It is, IMO, a reliable camera with good optics for a very reasonable price.

Enjoy the new camera - and the hobby. It’s not nearly as much fun when you do it to put food on your family’s table. Do it for the joy.

Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Film photography has been sort of a hobby of mine for a while now. I picked up an old Canon AE1 in a pawnshop ten or twelve years ago, then a few other 35 mm film cameras, and even a few old box cameras. The box cameras were my first foray into 120/620 film, and I’ve been wanting a better quality medium format camera to shoot with for a while. Today I picked up a Yashica Mat-124G. Can’t wait to shoot with it.

Any other film camera fans out there? I’ve been made aware that film is kind of making a comeback. That’s great for film accessibility, but the prices of the old film cameras have kind of exploded…I paid $30 for my AE1, and see them going for considerably more than that now. I’d be interested to hear from any other current day film shooters.

pic or it didn’t happen….

View attachment 934387
I still have my "old" Yashica Mat 124 G that I bought in the mid to late 1970s. My best friend at the time taught ceramics and photography at the Museum of Science and History, and taught me how to process and print in their darkroom. I eventually got my own developing gear, and a small Vivitar enlarger, which (believe it or not) came from Montgomery Ward. I later graduated to a Canon FTb (35mm) and an assortment of different lenses. But I still love the medium format for making prints. Haven't done anything, though, for over 25 years, since I don't have a good way to set up even a temporary darkroom in my house. In my previous house, I could use black-out curtains, and print at night in the kitchen.
Sorry I don't have pictures, (ironic, huh?) but I own a number of vintage (though not valuable) cameras. My prized one is an old Kodak 620 that belonged to my mother.....one that folds out with bellows. Took 3 1/2 X 2 1/2 negatives, no light meter.....you had to "guess" at focus and exposure.....but very good lens quality.
Thanks for posting and the great memories.

DuckDodgers

Tele-Holic
I always had a camera with me for decades. I probably shot two rolls a week throughout the 80s. I did astrophotography, too. Some years ago I sold my Nikon Fe and F2s and bought a D70, then a D80, and then sold them and bought a few Micro Four Thirds cameras, as they were easier to carry and didn’t draw as much attention. The digital revolution has been great. I always hated darkroom work- even spend two hours in a darkroom shuffling 4x5 sheet film in a tray? But for several years, as I’ve been printing fewer photos and mainly putting images on the internet, I’ve found myself doing most of my photography with an iPhone.

Last edited:

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
Guess it's a good time for me to sell my lord-knows-how-many film cameras and countless related items! Been at my job shooting digital for eight years now, with no time to use them any more. In my previous digital jobs, I still had time to shoot my own pictures...but not with this job.

Got most formats from subminiature (Pentax Auto 110) up to 8x10 (SINAR)...and even a Chromega F 10x10 inch enlarger (not to mention the two 4x5 Beseler 45 enlargers).

My preference in the square format TLR realm was the Mamiya C system. But I did also have a Rollei 3.5F 120/220, and a Rollei Wide. Regretfully, I sold both Rolleis in 2012 or 2013, in a time of brokeness between jobs (the Wide was worth a lot of money, in like new condition, and I had basically stolen it for what I paid).

My favorite cameras are the Nikon F, the SINAR P, the Mamiya RZ67, and the Fuji GX680. Sold the Fuji, but still have the others. Got tons of other crap as well. Mamiya C system, Mamiya Press system, Several Nikon Fs and a Nikkormat, Canon FD system with multiple bodies, Pentax Spotmatic, a Leica IIIf and Voigtlander Bessa R, a 1954 Speed Graphic, two 1954 Linhof Super Technikas, A SINAR F+, Eastman No. 2 wooden 5x7, several sundry folders (e.g. Kodak Retina II) and box cameras (e.g. Brownie No. 2), and who knows what else. I gave the Minolta system to an ex after we broke up, but I don't really miss it.

Last edited:

middy

Friend of Leo's
I used to have a 124G, great camera. It got stolen, along with a Bronica SQ and all my darkroom stuff about 10 years ago. I’ve been digital ever since, but I’ve been playing with a Diana Instant Square toy camera lately. Kind of fun and unpredictable.
nnhkj4m.jpg

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I bought a Minolta SLR on a deal about 30 years ago, from a guy in the local paper. Came with the macro lens, case, zoom, etc. for 150 bucks! Took it with us on our Honeymoon to the UK and shot probably 26 rolls with her, and used her for years afterwards. Was a great camera. A few years ago I took it to the pawn shop and they gave me 100 bucks for the lot! Today I sort of wish I hadn't sold it... :confused: It's funny to me but it really hasn't been all that long ago that there was a photo shop in every shopping mall, but for some reason it seems like ancient history today. Strange o_O

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
I use a Pentax K5 (digital) today but have been wanting something like a Yashica point-n-shoot film camera. I love the look of film and processing digital photos never can exactly capture it. Sort of like a amp/cab sim not always capturing a true tube amp sound/feel.

am watching a few on the ol bay. (Like I need any other gear to GAS over)

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
I love digital. It brought the prices of used Hasselblads down within my reach. I'd wanted one forever. Prices are going up again now though.
View attachment 934456

I learnt photography on my dad's 30s Leica Standard, then went on to a Pentax Spotmatic and MX. Yashica 124, Rolleicord, a little Voightlander rangefinder followed. Most of it traded in for the Nikon FM and Nikkor lenses I still have. Rarely use it these days, or the Hasselblad, but still beautiful bits of craftsmanship.

And the smells of the darkroom chemicals!
Nice Hasselblad! Is that a 1600? The quote used to be that Hasselblads were $100 per letter in the name:)

wacolo

Tele-Afflicted
I used to have a 124G, great camera. It got stolen, along with a Bronica SQ and all my darkroom stuff about 10 years ago. I’ve been digital ever since, but I’ve been playing with a Diana Instant Square toy camera lately. Kind of fun and unpredictable.
nnhkj4m.jpg

Maybe 15 years ago I got into toy camera photography on a casual basis. I still have my Diana and probably a Holga somewhere. I would love to get back into it.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
Nice. I was helping clear out my grandfather's townhouse since he recently passed and was amazed to find this ~100 year old No. 1 Autographic Kodak Jr. that nobody else claimed so its now going to be displayed as a curio on my shelf as I no longer work in films like 120 at all.

messages_0.jpeg

Last edited:

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Nice Hasselblad! Is that a 1600? The quote used to be that Hasselblads were $100 per letter in the name:)
It's a 500CM. That's a stock photo, but mine's the same. I got it boxed with manual lens and body covers etc for under $1k. Needs a service, lens focus is quite stiff, but otherwise little used.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
nnhkj4m.jpg
Used to know a guy here that made a lot of "art" photos with a Diana and a massive strobe. You're right, your results can be a little unpredictable. I have a "non-Diana" Diana, (branded "Arrow") that uses 120 film, and a camera branded "YUNON" that I found in a thrift store, which is very similar to a Diana, but takes 35mm film. Another cool camera is a little "toy" one that came in a Spy Gear set my grandson had, which takes half-frame exposures on 35mm film. Fixed focus and exposure, very "low-fi" kind of pictures. I love off-beat cameras.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
In late 1978 I bought a used Canon AE1 from a news photographer and then purchased a basic BW developer set up. I was having a blast with it but then something sinister happened. Silver got so expensive I couldn't afford film or paper. This cleared up by the summer of 1980, and when I was finally old enough to comprehend what happened it left me jaded and mistrustful. So in other words I adopted a healthy teen age attitude. Google cornering the silver market. It's one of the things I dare not discuss here.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I bought a Minolta SLR on a deal about 30 years ago, from a guy in the local paper. Came with the macro lens, case, zoom, etc. for 150 bucks! Took it with us on our Honeymoon to the UK and shot probably 26 rolls with her, and used her for years afterwards. Was a great camera. A few years ago I took it to the pawn shop and they gave me 100 bucks for the lot! Today I sort of wish I hadn't sold it... :confused: It's funny to me but it really hasn't been all that long ago that there was a photo shop in every shopping mall, but for some reason it seems like ancient history today. Strange o_O

When I was into photography, there were a couple of really cool camera shops in town, you could hang out and talk photo equipment with the guys who came in. Same with the golf stuff, there used to be a couple of very cool golf repair shops in town, you could get anything you could think up done to a club there, and always have a good time going there. Now those days are gone, it's either Dick's Sporting goods, which only does specific jobs or forget it. The camera shops are gone too.

My bag is still sitting there in the closet with what eventually became my go to camera a Nikon N8000s, used a SB-24 with bounce and swivel for my flash. I also made a device to put on the camera that would elevate the flash about a foot above the camera. That was great for wedding shoots. I'll have to look and see what all is in the bag. Haven't looked at it in years. I do remember I took all of the batteries out, so it should still be okay.

Had some really fun times taking pics, another GREAT time waster! :lol::lol:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Nice. I was helping clear out my grandfather's townhouse since he recently passed and was amazed to find this No. 1 Autographic Kodak Jr. that nobody else claimed so its now going to be displayed as a curio on my shelf as I no longer work in films like 120 at all.

View attachment 934509
LOVE IT!....That's very similar to my mother's old Kodak 620 folding camera, except it has a sticker inside that says Use 620 film. This camera does not use 120 film. It uses a Dakon Shutter, with a Kodak Anastigmat lens, 100mm, (normal w/ bellows) and f 8.8-32 f-stops. Probably a fancy home camera in the 1930's or '40's. ;)

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
LOVE IT!....That's very similar to my mother's old Kodak 620 folding camera, except it has a sticker inside that says Use 620 film. This camera does not use 120 film. It uses a Dakon Shutter, with a Kodak Anastigmat lens, 100mm, (normal w/ bellows) and f 8.8-32 f-stops. Probably a fancy home camera in the 1930's or '40's. ;)

I've got a couple of 620 cameras, an old Argus Seventy-Five and an older Ansco Shur-Shot. You can find places that spool 120 film onto 620 spools. So far I've gotten ok pics with that film through those cameras. The lenses are a little wonky on the perimeters but the film seems to work fine. You may be aware of that already but thought I'd mention it FYI. Cool camera.

bdkphoto

Tele-Holic
Congrats! I loved and learned on film, and it's very possible to do again where I live now (many darkrooms and suppliers), but the chemicals, time, and expense involved in making a single image just weren't worth it to me any longer after around 2002. Different strokes, I hope the market stays alive for film particularly medium and large format. Not to be a Luddite (I’m aware there’s large format digital), but you don’t get Moonrise over Hernandez out of an APS-C. Nor any of the endless reprints Adams undertook over his life as processes and materials improved.

I'm with you on the the wish that the film market stays alive - In the professional world film is a tiny percentage of the market - less than 5% of pros are using film at all, and of the 5% that use film it is only occasionally. These numbers have stayed consistent over the last 10 years or so. (I have no idea of what the hobbyists are doing)- bottom line is I don't think theres any real danger of film going away, but the pickings of film and paper are more limited nowadays.

For me, I have no interest in returning to film- I have no desire to try to get through airport security (and baggage) with 4x5 system, 2 1/4 system, lighting, film and polaroid for my assignment and magazine work- 25 years of that was enough ;-). Digital has given me the tools to shoot projects that I could never get to do with the limitations of film.

As to being able to do Moonrise with an APC sized sensor maybe not, but you certainly can do it with the best of the current digital cameras - even with top of the line Sony's, Nikons etc. For that I would recommend you see Sebastian Salgado's Genesis exhibition as just one example. (* there is medium format digital not large format. All the sensors are smaller than 4x5 - most are about 645 sized or so.)

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've got a couple of 620 cameras, an old Argus Seventy-Five and an older Ansco Shur-Shot. You can find places that spool 120 film onto 620 spools. So far I've gotten ok pics with that film through those cameras. The lenses are a little wonky on the perimeters but the film seems to work fine. You may be aware of that already but thought I'd mention it FYI. Cool camera.
You know.....I still have some old 620 spools somewhere. I could probably, with some practice, roll 120 film on those, using my changing bag. Intended for putting exposed film onto reels for developing, you put film and reels, along with developing tank, inside.....your hands go inside and everything is sealed off from any light. Cool idea, thanks.
P.S.....I still have a pristine Argus C-3 35mm. Used to be the choice of many pros, especially since they're easy to make double exposures. Separate shutter-cocking from the film advance, so you can repeatedly trip the shutter without advancing film. A favorite of Duane Michels, for one.

Last edited:

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
My kids likes film way more than digital cameras.
It is quite funny, they also like LP's and our old tape player.
Anyways I have used both for ages, but I still prefer working with analogue film.

I am not against digital in any way, I just hope that they will cool off on the pixels and features race and work on how they are used.
They are often more in the way than helping.
But never mind that discussion.
I just really love film and pictures in your hands....

It still is something magical made by light.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Good heavens I have so many film cameras its almost sinful.
When I see a stranger out in public using a film camera I run up to them with a verbal assault!
Saw a guy summer before c19 with that same Yashica, and accosted him.
That was when I learned that hipsters are bringing film back.
Bless those hipsters, every one!
The next day I did show and tell with some of my more unusual cameras including an old 8x10 I think was a Kodak, a couple I made from scratch, and a genuine Texas Leica.
A few months later he bought one of my Texas Leicas.

Anyhow, I'm very happy that film is coming back, not that it left but it became enthusiast only.
That's a good thing, enthusiasts are cool...
Way better than the apathetic masses!