New to me Acoustic Day!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by el cheapo, Mar 6, 2015.

1. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I had been looking for a nice classical guitar to replace the old Yamaha a friend had loaned me, and this popped up on CL...

[​IMG][​IMG]

The seller was asking $300.00 for it with a HSC. Being no expert, I consulted with a certain TDPRI member who lives in Oregon. He advised me that if the guitar was in good, playable condition, this was a deal. Yesterday I went and checked it out, and I brought it home with me. This is just a well made, beautiful guitar...

[​IMG][​IMG]

It's an '85 Takamine C132S. The rosewood back and sides are beautiful, and the cedar top is very clean. The seller was the original owner and he took very good care of it. It doesn't look like it was played much. He said it was just sitting in the case under his bed, and it was time to pass it on to someone who would play it. I'm glad that was me!

On a side note, he didn't live very far from this place...

[​IMG]

I had never been before, so I checked out the museum and took the factory tour. Very interesting, and well worth the time!

[​IMG]

All in all, not a bad day off!

2. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice Tak!
    Congrats!

3. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Nice.
    And hey, I have one of those coasters too! I toured the factory some years ago -- maybe 10 years ago or so -- when the singer-songwriter I was playing with did the Bethlehem Musikfest. It was a cool tour and the museum and sampling room were pretty mice too.

4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great looking guitar! Very cool side trip factory tour as well.

BTW I don't know if you're an advanced classical player, or just a dabbler, like me - but if you're the latter you might want to think about having some side dots added. My Prudencio Saez student model 8 sat in the closet for years because I always got frustrated not having position markers. In fact it sat in there so long the bridge dried out and popped off. I just had the bridge re-glued and side dots added, and now really enjoy playing it (also keep in in a good case with a humidifier now).

Attached Files:

5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Nice rosewood Tak indeed! And you got it at a very good price.

I have a few Martin factory "coasters" too. I put a few coats of poly over them and actually use them in my family room.

6. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Cool guitar!

7. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations! I bought that guitar's piezo pickup and preamp-equipped sister in 1984. Sonically, it did a splendid Trigger impersonation. I let it go a few years later in a trade for something I thought I needed more. But in '96 I bought another Takamine nylon string acoustic/electric, a less expensive cutaway model (EG124C, perhaps?). It now belongs to my son, who has won classical gutar competitions with it.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The wood looks beautiful.

Congratulations.

9. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's a beauty! You did good. Is it just the lighting, or is that fretboard awfully dark for rosewood? I've heard of Takamine classicals sometimes having ebony boards: another bonus?

10. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I am totally going to do this!

11. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

It looks dark to me too. I asked the seller about it and he said the dealer told him it was rosewood. If it is, it's the darkest rosewood I've ever seen.

Thanks again, I'm really liking this guitar! :cool: It plays easier and sounds better than the Yamaha I've been playing. I'd really like to put a strap on it so I can play standing up, but I don't know if I should. It's so nice I almost don't want to mess with it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Time will tell I guess.

12. P Thought

Search the internet for "classical guitar strap", Amazon.com: Performance Plus GS1300 Leather Classical Guitar or Ukulele Strap with Leather Neck Band: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zIwq7lLmL.@@AMEPARAM@@51zIwq7lLmL or go to Guitar Center or most any music store. A classical guitar strap is more of a sling; it goes around your neck, under the guitar, and a nylon hook grabs on to the sound hole. It supports it so you can play standing up, but you dasn't let go, or it will roll to the floor.

I throw out the rest of the storebought strap, and thread the nylon clip with leather bootlaces, and make a neck rest from a piece of leather belt. Pretty comfy. You could use macrame' like Willie Nelson does, or nylon ribbon, or something else. That little clip is the main thing. You can find cheap straps for $5 or less if you look. Don't put any holes in that beautiful guitar!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  13. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I hear ya! If I can avoid it I definitely will.

14. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Despite what the seller said, this sure looks like an ebony board to me!
    See how much darker it is than the rosewood sides and headstock?

[​IMG]

By the way, I've yet to find a note on it that doesn't sound good. I was concerned the cedar top would be all warmth and no treble. It sounds very good to me, but I only have an old Yammie classical to compare it to.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  15. P Thought

Does to me, too. Black, very tight grain. You really got a good one. I'd rub a little mineral oil into that fretboard next time I had the strings off.

16. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I'm really liking this guitar! It's small, light, and easy to carry around. It also sounds and looks good...

[​IMG]

The neck is helping to stretch out my fretting hand too. About 10 years ago I broke my hand in a biking accident. It healed up ok, but I lost some flexibility. I never thought I would see the day when I could play a G chord with my pinky on the 1st string and my ring finger on the 6th string. I can do it now! I'll have to keep practicing this new chord shape, but it definitely helps speed the transition between G and C chords.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.