New (to me) 1974 Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Larry K. Williams, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Just got it last week and have not been able to use it as it was unplayable when it arrived. (different story and have just worked that out, hopefully, with the seller).

Anyway, it came to me with a replaced speaker. It has a Jensen C10Q.

After suggestions, I have ordered a Warehouse G10C. However, I want to maintain that 70's SiverFace Princeton tone. What is the consensus here on TGP. Is this the best speaker to keep that tone, or is something else better?

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

TGP????

I use a WGS G10C/S in my 68 PR amd I like it. The smooth cone is darker than the one you got, but still has tons of chime so I think you'll be happy.

Milspec likes this.
  3. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

At the risk of offending some...

I'm gonna say the Jensen reissues are nothing like the originals except for the model number.
    I won't ever use another one.

I also have a 74 PR and my amp came to me with a Weber 10V-AS H.
    Kinda expensive when I looked it up, but a great speaker for the PR.

I think there is another speaker that Weber recommends for the PR, but I don't remember the model #.
    Maybe a 10A-150?

Not a shill for Weber, just a happy customer.

Silverface and boredguy6060 like this.
  4. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Geez, not even able to play it, and you're swapping speakers?

In spite of the oft heard disdain for the Italian Jensens, there is anecdotal evidence that they sound pretty damned good once broken in. So why not try it first?

Yes Webers are great...

5. Larry K. Williams

I am going on the consensus of most and the fact that I have not liked the recent Jensen in recent PRRI amps.....and have heard great improvements in those amps with various replacements.

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

It has been stated here many times by those who know, that the speaker is the single biggest change you can make to an amp.
    I don’t have a PR, but I always recommend Weber, first because you can call them and talk to them about the sound you’re looking for and they have great advise, 2nd, I’ve never been disappointed with a Weber, in fact just the opposite.
    Good luck,

gridlock and RodeoTex like this.
  7. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

Weber 10f150t

robrob, DavidP and Jonzilla like this.
  8. FRANKENJAG

FRANKENJAG TDPRI Member

Your choice of speaker should be informed by what you want from the amp and how you intend to use it. Do you plug straight in, or are you a pedal guy? Do you want max headroom, or early breakup/dirt? There are dozens of 10" speakers out there that will sound great, the one for you will depend on what you want to hear.

BobbyZ, robrob and JustABluesGuy like this.
  9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I’ve used the WGS G10C in several amps and liked them a lot. Never tried one in a Princeton Reverb however.

I have an eminence 1028K in my PR. I love it, very classic Fender to my ears.

Congrats on the amp and good luck!

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  10. Larry K. Williams

It seems that the two that keep coming up are the Warehouse G10C and the Weber 10F150.

Have any of you had both and can give a comparison?

11. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

I have a Weber 10" Califorina ceramic magnet (Weber's version of the JBL K-110, I think) in a '70 PR and it sounds great.

I have an Eminence Copperhead in a non-reverb Princeton, and that also sounds great. The Emi Ragin' Cajun gets a lot of good mentions around here too...

mgreene likes this.
  12. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I've used the Weber 10F150 and now that it's broken in, I love it. When first installed, I did not. At all! Mine's several years old by now, so I can't vouch for today's production now that Ted Weber has passed away. They used to be good about making recommendations -- the line was extensive. FWIW, I had really good luck with a made-in-Italy Jensen Alnico. I thought it was going to be crap, but I ate my words. It was great -- much better than the Eminence it replaced. I love 10 inch combo amps.

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

First - when was the amp last serviced? There was nothing mentioned, and over 90% of the newly-purchased vintage Fender amps I see have never been serviced or haven'y been in decades.

If you're not sure that's the first priority - and the amp really should not be run until you DO know and it's up to date. Otherwise you're taking a chance of losing the power transformer if a filter cap blows/ Testing them is irrelevant - it's age that matters.

Forget speakers until you're sure the electrolytic filter and bias caps are not more than 15-20 years old (and if anywhere NEAR those dates it's due for full service.

If it HAS been serviced I recommend Jensen C10Q's very highly - as paperweights, anchors for small bots etc. :lol: As @galaxiex mentioned they are NOT true reissues. I just removed two from the low positions of a tweed Bandmaster clone The upper is small-magnet Celestion, - needed to clear the OT), replaced them with generic Mojo/Eminence 10's and the amp improved exponentially.

As far as ceramic magnet speaker s go the best around IMO are the Celestion creamback and the Warehouse Speakers close of it. Excellent in Fenders - good headroom with smooth transition into breakup. Not mid-heavy like earlier Celestions.

BobbyZ and Mike Eskimo like this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah like Silverface sez , sell or throw out that C10Q. Raspy horribleness.

Like jrblue sez, the Weber 10F150 works great in these. I have a 10F150P which sounds great.

15. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

16. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you do go with Weber be sure and ask for the free speaker break-in. It won't arrive fully broken in but it definitely helps.

gridlock and LudwigvonBirk like this.
  17. Larry K. Williams

The amp was service within the last 3 months. Today, I had Steve Hunter in Athens, completely configure it as AA1164 circuit. It has original glass in the preamp and he installed new JJ 6V6/S power tubes.

It does sound truly amazing. I may need to keep the Jensen C10Q!. I will certainly try the WGS since it is on the way.

WOW!!!! What a tone. And I have some great amps in the house to compare. This thing is incredible.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Bones and charlie chitlin like this.
  18. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

A properly tweaked PR is a great amp. Good score!

dan40 likes this.
  19. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

sounds like rock on with the speaker as is - congrats

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use a Rajin Cajun.
    I don't guess it sounds original, but it sure is snarly, brash and snotty!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.