New to Guitar...new to TDPRI...help!!

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by MovingPitchers, Jan 30, 2015.

1. MovingPitchers

MovingPitchers TDPRI Member

Hi all! I'm from Vancity, BC. Enough with the intro. I have a dilemma.

I want to start implementing a rhythm guitar into our worship team and I want to be the first to do so. What kind of gear do you recommend? I want to keep this budget as low as possible as most of my resources will go to bass, my main instrument of choice.

I have plans to purchase a used 2007 MIM Strat in arctic white and rosewood. Check.

Pedals? I'm thinking tuner, VP, delay, and two drives. That should be enough. I don't need any fancy stuff like tremolo or wah.

Amp? I'm thinking 30-40W; we play in a small venue so something crazy big would probably get me kicked out. Jokes. LOL

2. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Welcome. Wishing you the best on your quest.
    It looks like you have the guitar and pedals under control... btw, I own a VP, but, I get more mileage and bragging points by just using the guitar volume... I have been letting bandmates use the VP for years.
    Since I mic my amp I could use anything from a headphone amp to a full stack... if I were to have to go un-mic'ed, I would need at the very least the 30-40 watt tube amp you speak of and would even lean toward 60-100.

3. Worship Tele 1

Worship Tele 1 TDPRI Member

Welcome! I'm a Fender Blues Jr owner (have 3 of them). They take mods well, pedals too. They can b loud or quiet. The churches I play at have low volume stages so I mic it (use my own Shure 57 and I do the mic-ing myself - I have each amp already marked). They are light and not budget breakers. A noise suppressor pedal like a boss NS-2 might be helpful too unless you go thru your MIM strat and shield it well. I own several mim strats n teles n have shielded all of them. Helps the FOH sound guys. Hope things go well for you!! Blessings...

4. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

What are some of the songs you will be playing?
    That should dictate what tools to bring.

So far your choices seem reasonable.

5. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

I can recommend a Traynor YCV40WR for the amp. Two channels, 40 watts, nice tone Nice build quality and made in Canada. It may cost you a bit more than some other choices, but with a footswitch you could use the onboard OD and boost in place of a couple pedals.

6. MovingPitchers

Lots of Bethel, lots of All Sons and Daughters, obviously stuff from Hillsong, all the mainstream stuff.

Hoping to get "Mighty Warrior" by Elevation Worship into the fold someday.

We don't have a drumset; we use a cajon mic'ed up.

7. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

For rhythm work, you can keep it simple. A tuner & one drive pedal are pretty much all you need. Unless you are planning to do swells, you shouldn't need a VP. You can get another drive option from your amp depending what you get.

8. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Yep, save the money you would spend on a volume pedal, and put it toward a better amp. The whale cry thing is really played anyway. To start, you need an amp, a tuner, and an OD. You can pick up a decent delay at any point. I played lead in our church band for a couple years with just a Les Paul, my amp, a tuner, a TS9, and a Maxon analog delay(so only quarter note delay, no dotted eighths). I made it work, and I actually miss the simplicity.

There is a ton of musical gear on Craigslist, especially if you're willing to come down to the Seattle area to pick up. I'd encourage you to get the best amp you can, and I'd be willing to bet that a 40 watt amp will be too much for your venue. Does your church have a PA and the ability to mic your amp? If so, think hard about getting a 5 to 15 watt amp. It will help with stage volume, the other musicians will appreciate it, and it's all you need if you can mic it up. About a month ago, I saw a Laney Lionheart on Seattle CL for about $400. I'd have picked it up if I had the extra cash. Good luck in your quest!

9. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Today's "clean" tone is actually light crunch in disguise. I don't see too many worship guitarists playing through Twin Reverbs.

So get two OD's that compliment each other nicely, such as one that gives you the light crunch present in the stuff you mentioned above, and the other to allow you to kick it up into the higher gain when you need it.

10. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

New gear?

Moving Pictures comment:
    "Pedals? I'm thinking tuner, VP, delay, and two drives. That should be enough. I don't need any fancy stuff like tremolo or wah.

Amp? I'm thinking 30-40W; we play in a small venue so something crazy big would probably get me kicked out. Jokes. LOL

GET a good tuner. Don't you have a good one for your bass already?

Get some reverb...I say leave the delay alone if possible.

And don't buy a bad overdrive - I'll know and laugh at you.:lol:

Most churches will get upset if you have more than 15 watts.

11. MovingPitchers

40W is too much, I guess. Isn't 15W like, practice amp wattage? LOL

12. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

If it looks loud, you'll probably be told to turn it down before you even turn it on.

"You're amp is too loud.""

"I haven't turned it on yet"

"I know. Doesn't matter. Turn it down anyway."

Now back to being serious. Get whatever amp you want and can afford. Your amp will be the biggest influence on your sound. It will have a volume knob. You can turn it up and down. Whether or not it sounds good turned way down is another matter entirely, and depends.

A 15 Watt tube amp can get very loud. In most churches, it is loud enough to be heard just fine. Even at 15 watts, you'll still likely hear "turn it down". 15 Watts of tube amp through a very efficient speaker will be very loud at full volume.

13. MovingPitchers

I was thinking solid state

14. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

Myself personally, if I were going to buy a strictly solid state amp for worship, it would be the Orange CR60C 1x12 combo. 60 watts. Clean/dirty channels. Capable of great "worship clean" all the way to heavy overdrive. Being solid state it sounds great even at whisper quiet volumes.

My recommendation is to buy a good tube amp, but if solid state is what you want, this is a great one.

15. MovingPitchers

Well, hmm I'll keep searching.

Another thing: Is $350 a good price for a MIM Strat? I am planning on buying one for that price and it looks like it's post-2008: the headstock logo is the current 70s style logo.

16. MovingPitchers

Guitar

Attached Files:

17. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

You have obviously never played an AC15 coming in at 15 watts, or 5e3 deluxe tipping the scales at 12 watts. A deluxe reverb is a bruiser at 22 watts.

Any of these amps are loud enough to play along with a loud drummer without being mic'd. And, trust me when I tell you that they are way more than loud enough to cause your band mates and your sound tech to suddenly take a very close and unpleasant interest in the gear you are playing through.

I've been asked numerous times to turn down by the sound guy while playing my old 5e3 and it is a 12 watter. You should be looking for amps that give you a great tone without having to be ear splitting loud. A 30 to40 watt amp is stunningly loud when you get it in its sweet spot. Forewarned is forearmed.

18. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

You can get A LOT of mileage out of a Mustang III v2. 100 watt combo (deafening loud), solid state (still good soft), stereo XLR outputs (sound guy can mix/control the volume), pedal simulators, onboard tuner, tap tempo for effects, and it can take additional pedals it you are inclined.

The big drawback, only 1 flavor of overdrive at a time (unless you start patch switching or adding your own pedals).

The MIM strat is probably all you will need (I chose a tele instead, but almost got a strat).

You can set up an MIII v2 and a used MIM guitar for $600 - 700 (I got the amp new and the guitar used... but sometimes the amp is on CL too). Mid range investment, professional results. Your budget for the strat, $350?, is good. You might be able to get under 300, but be careful... some are damaged and not fully disclosed.

(Side note: if you also want the expression pedal and 4 button FS, it is another $100+). Maybe you can get a break from the store, ask for 15% off and buy everything at once - or wait for a coupon.

19. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

If you want an inexpensive but nice sounding solid state, try out a Roland Cube. Friend of mine gigs one of those, and I am usually pretty impressed with what he gets out of it.

20. MovingPitchers

How about a Mustang IV? I saw one on my local CL for $350...he didn't mention firm price so maybe I can get it for 300?

A lot of buttons on it, though..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.