New to guitar - already got GAS for a second guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by AndyPanda, Oct 13, 2019.

1. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have 3 studios a tribute and a The Paul. Buy one or two and play the hell out of them. You can always put different pickups in it if you don’t care for the closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyPanda likes this.
  2. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve been GASsing for a Les Paul myself, lately. One piece of advice on EPIs, or Gibsons, is pay attention to the neck profiles. This could be the most important factor in which one will be the best for you. I have found that, for me personally, the EPI standard pro neck (slim taper) is too flat of a “D shape” neck. I get hand cramps after about 20 mins. I played an EPI tribute plus yesterday at G.C., and the neck had just enough extra curve in the middle for me. So, pay special attention to necks, in any guitar test drive. It can make the difference between a keeper, and one you end up selling.
    GAS on, brother!
    Also, I have to agree with @Boil, an acoustic is a great thing to add, as well. They are so percussive, and will help you with your rythym playing.

AndyPanda likes this.
  3. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

Or 50 times more than that. Some just collect and do not play or never play. And they might have 500 or more crazy I know.

AndyPanda likes this.
  4. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Wait til you take the 2nd mortgage out...

AndyPanda likes this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I hesitate to give advice but I can’t help myself. IMO it’s too soon for a new guitar. Keep learning and keep playing until you know what you like and what you dislike about what you have. Stop into guitar shops as you pass them and take down something to play. What do you like or dislike about it? Play acoustics too. After a while you’ll find yourself gravitating toward something. It’ll just draw you in. That’s when to start serious shopping. Play as many of that model or type as you can until you find the one that loves you back. Do the same with amps. You may find yourself doing this repeatedly or you may find the perfect guitar and amp early on and leave it at that. Have fun but don’t be in a rush.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    AndyPanda likes this.
  6. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I went through a lot of guitars before I finally realized that vintage spec'd Teles and Strats suit me best... Bought and sold a number of Gibsons, Epis, Ibanezs, Yamahas, and various hollow and semi-hollow guitars along the way to my "enlightenment"... It's funny because my first two guitars were a Strat and a Tele, but I guess I had to go through the gamut to realize I had gotten it right from the start...

AndyPanda likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Make sure you do your research on Gibson headstock repairs, the financial impact if it happens to you or you buy one without knowing, and how to spot the undisclosed repairs in a used Gibson. The Epiphone headstock is carved at a lower angle and uses a scarf joint to make it stronger. Some players go their whole lives without ever breaking the headstock, and others break from an overly excited pet (one player came home from a gig, set his hard case on its side edge like you do a briefcase, to pet his happy dog and the wagging tail knocked the case from its edge to its back and the headstock snapped off).

If buying used, there are a lot of fake Gibsons out there too that you'll need to wade through.

There are other dual humbucker brands without the drama. Look up the PRS SE and S2 models. Harley Benton SC 450 and SC 550 for a low cost -- worst case you find a good guitar tech and get the frets leveled for $100 and have quite a player.

You can add a 4-way switch to a Tele (ASAT too) and get a series humbucking option.

Or add Gibson pickups to a Strat. Eddie Van Halen famously did that.

AndyPanda likes this.
  8. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Do you get glared at by your wife?

9. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

Well I went back and forth between Gibson Studio and Epiphone Plus Top - and pretty much had myself convinced to just forget the whole thing and keep my focus on learning the instrument I already have. But I caved when I stumbled onto this (used) for a low price I couldn't pass up. So the "am I nuts?" question has been answered in the affirmative. I mainly just wanted to be able to get a sample taste of the LP type flavor vs the Telecaster type flavor.
    LTD.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.