New to guitar - already got GAS for a second guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by AndyPanda, Oct 13, 2019.

1. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

I bought a G&L ASAT special a few weeks ago and have been loving this new world of learning guitar (and kicking myself for waiting this long, I'm 65, to start learning guitar). I know I should just keep playing my ASAT and learn to play --- but you know how GAS is --- I just keep thinking it would be fun to have a Les Paul style guitar too.

I had been looking at used Epiphone Plus Top Pro and reviews rate them highly and they are supposed to hold their own compared to higher end Gibsons. But I sure dislike the Epiphone head stock and don't see why they didn't stick with the Gibson headstock shape since the rest of the guitar is Les Paul shaped. And that got me looking at Gibson Studio --- and I'm finding them used for not much more than the Plus Top Pro.

I ran across a 1984 Gibson Studio for about the same price as the 2017-2019 used studios. Hoping you guys can weigh in with your thoughts about whether I'd be way better off with a Gibson Studio vs Epi Plus Top - and if Studio should I be looking at a recent one or the mid 80's vintage?

And how crazy am I to want a LP around when I have a very nice ASAT Special already and am still this new to playing guitar? (batsh!t crazy, I know)

Deathray, Toadtele and 57fenderstrat like this.
  2. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

That's how it's done, buy something then look around and see something else.

Might want to think about getting a good acoustic instead of another electric as it will give you more options for songs to play and probably improve your playing as you cant hide your mistakes as much as you can with a Max Eargrinder Distortion pedal and a Marshall stack

3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I had unencumbered GAS until just recently. Managed to acquire something like 10 electric guitars. Realized I never played most of them so sold off a bunch. I don't know much about Les Pauls, never owned one, but I did buy a 24.75" scale guitar once (all the rest are 25.5). I sold that one within 6 months of buying it as the scale was "off" in my mind and fingers and it was way too heavy.

But, if you follow in my footsteps, you may have to overshoot on the GAS to find your point of comfort. I'm in a reductionist phase at the moment and don't see myself going the other way.

tonyj and AndyPanda like this.
  4. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

m.

Do you already know what STYLE of music you prefer to play??? That should guide you to what your NEXT guitar should be. Some advice from a real gasser..... DON'T buy a guitar because of it's looks.... you will ONLY be looking at it. Buy it for the SOUND and more importantly...... ONLY buy it if and when it TALKS to you.
    Now, how and when will you know that a guitar TALKS to you? Well...... you WILL know when it happens. You will know within the first 2 minutes after you start strumming .. even no need to plug the darn thing in some amp, you will know.
    And that takes me to the amp part of the problem. First figure out what type of amp you LIKE THE BEST and only use that type of amp when you strum that guitar for the first time.... Then, the guitah will talk to you... or not !! LOL.

JL_LI, AndyPanda and duzie like this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Nothing wrong with buying more guitars if you want to and can afford it. It's a hobby, live life to the fullest.

I've been playing since 1964, and I've totally lost track of all the different Epi and Gibson LP models. Somebody else will have to advise you there. Buying used at a fair market price means you can sell it for close to what you paid is you decide to later.

I got an Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro gold top last year for $300 from Guitar Center. Excellent guitar, better fretwork than the Gibson LP Standard I had in the 70s.

Think about getting some lessons. It's more fun when you play better.

6. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

The attraction to have a new shiny guitar can be a slippery slope :lol:
    Do you have a decent amp and or effects to keep you motivated to continue learning?
    What style of music interests you ?
    I’m not preaching here lol .
    At 65 do what makes you happy!

Kontaktmoi and AndyPanda like this.
  7. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Id focus on learning guitar first and not waste time reading about les pauls.

8. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

I spent 40 years making do with minimal (but decent) equipment. Since I’ve retired I’ve indulged myself a little and thoroughly enjoyed doing it. If you want a Les Paul and can afford it, get one and enjoy it.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

'84 Gibson LP Studio should be a great guitar. I'd get that.

AndyPanda likes this.
  10. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I would not typically recommend buying a second guitar that soon, but if that's what will motivate you to play, go for it. I started on a 3/4 acoustic and found it too difficult to play due to its small size, so within a year I had myself a nice, roomy SG.

AndyPanda likes this.
  11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

There's a British radio program called 'Desert Island Discs' where the guest selects a number of pieces of music they'd take to a desert island. During the program, the host interviews the guest about them, their life, hobbies and interests.

One guest sticks in my mind for his answer. Pete Waterman, the 'W' part of PWL. Pete was asked by the host about why he has a model steam railway in his back garden. He gave the most 'bloke' answer I've ever heard, and it's good justification. His reply to the lovely Sue Lawley was.. 'It makes my willy tingle'

Every man on earth can understand that. If it makes you happy, if you want it and can afford it, do it. You can't take it with you, your semen demons will fritter it away, and even if you could, I guarantee they'd write you a cheque for the balance.

Do it.

Note:- GAS -rarely- ends while the GASsee is still compos mentis and not compost.

AndyPanda and FenderLover like this.
  12. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

I think the problem is that you’re new to guitar and already know what “GAS” is...too much time on the forums! Ha!

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, I sure didn't have that much knowledge of specific models and features when I started playing.

Unionjack515 and AndyPanda like this.
  14. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

I'm new to playing guitar but I've been around instruments all my life --- full time musician, keys, saxes, flutes, harmonica, melodica etc. since early 70's. And ran a repair shop at a large music store in the 80's. So have spent a lot of time around guitars and guitarists and have seen how differently they play on a tele vs LP. And just thought it would be nice to have two flavors and I already have the single coil bolt on neck flavor covered - thought it would be interesting to have a humbucker set neck to contrast it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    duzie likes this.
  15. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I had one of those Gibson LP Studio's back in the 90's and Had to reluctantly let it go, been disappointed ever since.

AndyPanda likes this.
  16. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I was in a band with a keyboardist who had only been playing guitar for a year. He just played guitar in the band and was really good.

thunderbyrd and AndyPanda like this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Then one day you wake up and are amazed to find that you have 30+ guitars plus numerous amps and effect pedals all crammed into a small spare bedroom.

Toadtele and AndyPanda like this.
  18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Something you may want to consider is a Baritone guitar/Bass VI. Sweetwater has a PRS Baritone Semi-Hollow with 2 P90's on sale now for just under $800.

AndyPanda likes this.
  19. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

My spare bedroom (so far):
    IMG_20191013_121354.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    radiocaster, gwjensen, Shayo and 2 others like this.
  20. Shayo

Shayo TDPRI Member

Just watch out not to get to my situation [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.