New to forum; Telecaster squeals like a stuck pig

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Hey everyone,

I'm new here, just registered, but I'm a frequent poster and longtime user over at the Marshallforum :)

Now my Telecaster Journey started with a cheap 88€ Harley Benton Tele from Thomann, then I got bitten by the bug and got myself this beauty here:

View attachment 1003841

It's a 75th Anniversary Commemorative Telecaster and I friggin LOVE this guitar. The neck feels perfect, the thing has sustain for days and feels like an old friend everytime I pick it up. Plus she looks gorgeous.

Now with my band I play quite a bit of high gain blues and hard rock, so I replaced the Twisted Tele pickups with a set of DiMarzios to get rid of the buzz.

I have the Area T neck model in it which is totally fine, previously I had the Super Distortion T installed I got used off of my local auction site. Now that's where my problems started.

Everytime the volume would get high the guitar started squealing like a stuck pig. The one thing that did help was holding my guitar pick against the bridge. Now I figured maybe I got a microphonic pickup from the seller, but yesterday I installed a brand new Chopper T and the problem persists.

I tried tape under the bridge, I tried wax, I stuck foam under the pickup, I used ruber tubing instead of springs for the adjustment screws, nothing helps.

Now my question is: is there an aftermarket replacement bridge (in gold) that will fit the guitar that will solve my problem? I love this axe very much and would like to use it with the band, but it seems like the stock fender bridge likes to vibrate like a mofo. I wouldn't mind having 6 saddles as well for spot on intonation either.

Thanks in advance everyone, once I have some time I'll make a proper post introducing myself, cheers! :)
I have the exact same guitar (well, not exactly since it's not yours!) but I love the CS TT pickups. I wouldn't change them. Never any problems with squeal and I play high gain too. Do you want to sell me your set?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
It's either a pickup issue or a wiring issue. A solid body Tele will not squeal normally unless you're playing in front of a Marshall stack on 10. Both those pickups are HOT aren't they? Like 9.5 -13k ohms?

GuitarIv91

TDPRI Member
I don‘t want to come around as a know it all, but the last time it happend to me, it was a microphonic input tube.

I can safely rule that out as the guitar does squeal with my 2203, my guitarists Engl Powerball and my BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium (and that thing has only one nanotube in the poweramp section)

Maybe try rubber washers under the bridge? No idea what this will do to the sound but it is an inexpensive test.

I already tried dampening everything, I used open cell foam. No luck there...

Take a drier sheet and rub it around the hot spots. Worth a try.

What exactly do you mean?

I have the exact same guitar (well, not exactly since it's not yours!) but I love the CS TT pickups. I wouldn't change them. Never any problems with squeal and I play high gain too. Do you want to sell me your set?

No way I'm selling the original pickups. I love those too, I just replaced them to have a completely humfree solution for the band. I might wire them in again and see if the problem goes away.

It's either a pickup issue or a wiring issue. A solid body Tele will not squeal normally unless you're playing in front of a Marshall stack on 10. Both those pickups are HOT aren't they? Like 9.5 -13k ohms?

Yes, the Chopper T is around 9k Ohms, but so is the Twisted Tele Bridge pickup. Maybe it is the rail design of the DiMarzios, who knows.

After trying so many things the only ideas I have left in my head are either replace the ashtray bridge for a heavy duty aftermarket one (I ordered a Gotoh which was THICK but the holes didn't line up and I didn't want to drill additional holes in the instrument) or just wire in the original pickups again and see if the problem goes away. Unfortunately the bridge design on the new Fender Am Pro 2 series is a completely new one, so there are no aftermarket drop in replacements to be found (yet)

I have to think about my next step and will keep you posted as always. My suspicion is that the ashtray bridge is slightly bent or not totally flat against the body of the guitar, but I can't confirm that unfortunately.

I have a few days off now so I can tinker, I'll let you know how it goes, cheers!

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Hey everyone,

I'm new here, just registered, but I'm a frequent poster and longtime user over at the Marshallforum :)

Now my Telecaster Journey started with a cheap 88€ Harley Benton Tele from Thomann, then I got bitten by the bug and got myself this beauty here:

View attachment 1003841

It's a 75th Anniversary Commemorative Telecaster and I friggin LOVE this guitar. The neck feels perfect, the thing has sustain for days and feels like an old friend everytime I pick it up. Plus she looks gorgeous.

Now with my band I play quite a bit of high gain blues and hard rock, so I replaced the Twisted Tele pickups with a set of DiMarzios to get rid of the buzz.

I have the Area T neck model in it which is totally fine, previously I had the Super Distortion T installed I got used off of my local auction site. Now that's where my problems started.

Everytime the volume would get high the guitar started squealing like a stuck pig. The one thing that did help was holding my guitar pick against the bridge. Now I figured maybe I got a microphonic pickup from the seller, but yesterday I installed a brand new Chopper T and the problem persists.

I tried tape under the bridge, I tried wax, I stuck foam under the pickup, I used ruber tubing instead of springs for the adjustment screws, nothing helps.

Now my question is: is there an aftermarket replacement bridge (in gold) that will fit the guitar that will solve my problem? I love this axe very much and would like to use it with the band, but it seems like the stock fender bridge likes to vibrate like a mofo. I wouldn't mind having 6 saddles as well for spot on intonation either.

Thanks in advance everyone, once I have some time I'll make a proper post introducing myself, cheers! :)
I bought a set of pickups with samarium cobalt magnets in them. They were out of an American Deluxe Tele, which is a fine guitar. After I installed them in my MIM Tele I got the squeaky squeal you’re describing, only from the bridge pickup. The neck pickup sounded great, and those pickups don’t squeal when they’re mounted in the American Deluxe Teles. The difference? The bridge plate on the ADT is considerably thicker that the plate on the MIM Teles. Samarium cobalts are very hot and somehow they squeal when mounted on thinner plates, so get a Callahan bridge. I’m sure you can get a gold plated bridge from them. That’s what I did and it solved the issue.

I later swapped out the bridge pickup with a Fralin overwound, but I kept the samarium cobalt neck pickup. They teamed up very well.

GuitarIv91

TDPRI Member
I bought a set of pickups with samarium cobalt magnets in them. They were out of an American Deluxe Tele, which is a fine guitar. After I installed them in my MIM Tele I got the squeaky squeal you’re describing, only from the bridge pickup. The neck pickup sounded great, and those pickups don’t squeal when they’re mounted in the American Deluxe Teles. The difference? The bridge plate on the ADT is considerably thicker that the plate on the MIM Teles. Samarium cobalts are very hot and somehow they squeal when mounted on thinner plates, so get a Callahan bridge. I’m sure you can get a gold plated bridge from them. That’s what I did and it solved the issue.

I later swapped out the bridge pickup with a Fralin overwound, but I kept the samarium cobalt neck pickup. They teamed up very well.

SOLVED!!!

Guys, I'm sitting in my kitchen as I'm typing this right now and my soldering iron is cooling off...

I decided to wire the original bridge pickup back in and see if the squeal goes away. Well what a surprise, it does in deed!

So it seems to be the combination of the bridge plate and the DiMarzio singlecoil sized humbuckers that causes the problems. I suspect it's either the material of the bridge itself or the thickness.

There are no fitting aftermarket bridges available (yet) so I won't drill holes in the guitar and replace the existing one just right now. I'll put the stock pickups back in and play her as is. I love that guitar too much.

I guess I'll make use of my noisegate some more and try how she fares with the band the next time, but I have plenty of humbucker equipped alternatives for the heavier stuff, so my Telecaster will stay 100% Telecaster.

I hope this thread helps someone down the line who might be experiencing the same problem as I have. Before this guitar I haven't really researched any of the problems and fine details that come with bridge material, thickness and the influence they have on the pickup and vice versa. All I know is that the bridge pickup of the Telecaster has some massive balls I never heard from a Strat before and it's addicting. :D

Thanks for all the posts and your input and ideas folks. I'll finish my beer now, fire the soldering iron up again and wire the original neck pickup in as well. Throw on some new strings, do a setup and then play.

Tomorrow I'll throw the guitar into the car and crank my amp at the rehearsal space and see how she sounds. Maybe I'll upload a video as well.

Take care and cheers! Happy to have found this forum :)

p.s.: I'm already eyeing the Ultra Luxe Tele in Sea Foam Green as my next purchase. That thing comes with humfree singles from the factory :p

spellcaster

Tele-Holic
I liked Guitarlv91's onservation that maybe the bridge isn't sitting flat against the body. My suggestion would be to dismount the bridge, and sand the underside flat against a piece of sandpaper mounted on a flat surface. If there are irregularities on the underside of the bridge, maybe it's opening the door to a resonant frequency that's causing the squeal. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I have a strat that will do this when played through a Rat pedal with the gain up high. It has a ridiculously hot un-potted Duncan Detonator that I put Super Distortion pole pieces in. It is fine while you are playing or muting the strings, but let it go and it will start to squeal in some sort of feedback loop. It starts after about a second and gets louder and louder. Cut the volume knob to about 5, and it stops. Kind of fun, but I'm not playing with a band or anything.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
"Thanks for all the posts and your input and ideas folks. I'll finish my beer now, fire the soldering iron up again an wire the original neck pickup in as well. Throw on some new strings, do a setup and then play."

You are a brave man OP. Nothing good ever happened to me after I finished my beer! 🤪

GuitarIv91

TDPRI Member
I liked Guitarlv91's onservation that maybe the bridge isn't sitting flat against the body. My suggestion would be to dismount the bridge, and sand the underside flat against a piece of sandpaper mounted on a flat surface. If there are irregularities on the underside of the bridge, maybe it's opening the door to a resonant frequency that's causing the squeal. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

As said, now that I reinstalled the Twisted Tele Bridge pickup the squeal is completely gone. It might still be a not perfectly flat surface, or the material of the bridge, or the thickness. In the end, it doesn't matter now. I had no problem when she was stock, the problem is gone now that I put her back to stock. I'll keep her that way :)

I have a strat that will do this when played through a Rat pedal with the gain up high. It has a ridiculously hot un-potted Duncan Detonator that I put Super Distortion pole pieces in. It is fine while you are playing or muting the strings, but let it go and it will start to squeal in some sort of feedback loop. It starts after about a second and gets louder and louder. Cut the volume knob to about 5, and it stops. Kind of fun, but I'm not playing with a band or anything.

There are so many things to consider, it's crazy. I had pickups from a manufacturer with covers that squealed. Sent em back twice (!!!) for re potting and in the end taking off the covers solved the problem. So many things at play that can go wrong...

"Thanks for all the posts and your input and ideas folks. I'll finish my beer now, fire the soldering iron up again an wire the original neck pickup in as well. Throw on some new strings, do a setup and then play."

You are a brave man OP. Nothing good ever happened to me after I finished my beer! 🤪

Well I'm happy to report that not only did I finish my beer, I reinstalled the neck pickup, rewired everything to stock, threw on some new strings and played her. I am satisfied (singlecoils will always sound like real singlecoils, no matter how close noiseless ones get) with the tones I get, the hum is back, the squeal is gone :D

As a matter of fact I just opened another beer to celebrate. Time to listen to some music and look forward to cranking it tomorrow

:cool:

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
SOLVED!!!

Guys, I'm sitting in my kitchen as I'm typing this right now and my soldering iron is cooling off...

I decided to wire the original bridge pickup back in and see if the squeal goes away. Well what a surprise, it does in deed!

So it seems to be the combination of the bridge plate and the DiMarzio singlecoil sized humbuckers that causes the problems. I suspect it's either the material of the bridge itself or the thickness.

There are no fitting aftermarket bridges available (yet) so I won't drill holes in the guitar and replace the existing one just right now. I'll put the stock pickups back in and play her as is. I love that guitar too much.

I guess I'll make use of my noisegate some more and try how she fares with the band the next time, but I have plenty of humbucker equipped alternatives for the heavier stuff, so my Telecaster will stay 100% Telecaster.

I hope this thread helps someone down the line who might be experiencing the same problem as I have. Before this guitar I haven't really researched any of the problems and fine details that come with bridge material, thickness and the influence they have on the pickup and vice versa. All I know is that the bridge pickup of the Telecaster has some massive balls I never heard from a Strat before and it's addicting. :D

Thanks for all the posts and your input and ideas folks. I'll finish my beer now, fire the soldering iron up again and wire the original neck pickup in as well. Throw on some new strings, do a setup and then play.

Tomorrow I'll throw the guitar into the car and crank my amp at the rehearsal space and see how she sounds. Maybe I'll upload a video as well.

Take care and cheers! Happy to have found this forum :)

p.s.: I'm already eyeing the Ultra Luxe Tele in Sea Foam Green as my next purchase. That thing comes with humfree singles from the factory :p
I have that guitar. I’m going to replace the pickups. They’re nowhere near as rich sounding as the Custom Shop Twisted Tele ones. It’s a great guitar though just keep in mind that you might not like the pickups.