New Thinline Tele Day!!!

Thinline casket

Tele-Meister
What is it you like about thinlines? I am not a fan of single-coils in general and while I love the look of 72's, the wide range pickups just never did it for me. These TV Jones are pretty awesome, very responsive to picking dynamics and have a single-coil snap with the oomph of a nice humbucker. They are a great pairing for this thinline.

My hands have always loved the feel of a tele. The thinlines have that touch of airyness (for lack of another made up word) that my ear really loves. I bought a Classic 72 and before I could change the pups I came across a great deal on a Vintera. So I put Lollar Regals in the Vintera and low-wind Imperials in the Classic Series. I love them both and they each have their own personality. So several months later I found a Classic Series 69 and filled it with Lollar Vintage Ts. Again another great feeling guitar with it's own vibe.

I got on a strat kick and got two more Classic Series, a 50s and 70s. So another email to Mr. J. Lollar for special blondes and blackface. I think 2 strats are enough (although I actually have 3 but that's another story). So I started wondering what my next guitar might be. I tried to talk myself into a 335-type like a Sheraton, but I only like the flat fingerboards for jazz. After seeing your post I realized that a thinline with TV Jones or Filtertrons is my best course of action.

Long post, but the weight and that touch of air that a solid body doesn't have really make my ears happy. All three sound unique and have valid uses. And my modus operandi has always been to buy used MIMs with a great neck and fill them with great pups. Saves money for great amps. :cool::D

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I tried to talk myself into a 335-type like a Sheraton, but I only like the flat fingerboards for jazz. After seeing your post I realized that a thinline with TV Jones or Filtertrons is my best course of action.

I have a 335, Sheraton II Pro specifically, but with SD Pearly Gates pickups in it - love how it sounds and plays. I had a baja telecaster and never bonded with it. Nor did I bond with a Nashville telecaster, which sounded too modern. Single coils just didn't have the oomph I wanted. I have a Gretsch Pro Jet which is very respectable stock, but its not a telecaster.

TV Jones in this thinline is just a great sound and "different" but very familiar - possibly one of the most versatile guitars I've had for the kinds of music I like.. It gives me a known tele bridge sound, a jazz sound, and a sem-hollow sound - that "airyness" you refer to with a touch of "woody."

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I heartily approve!
Here are my similar guitars.
2D9EC53D-B011-42C2-A459-D5FD4A515D4C.jpeg

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I heartily approve!
Here are my similar guitars.

Oh man, two neck supertrons - tell me about those - in the wrong amp, I find its a bit dark...not wooly or woofy, just darker that I might prefer. In the right amp, its great. My comparison is presently only from a Positive Grid Spark 40 amp (I'm in a hotel for work this week)) between the Fender Blackface emulation (sounds darker) and Dumble ODS50 emulation (spectacular sound.)

Love to hear what you have learned from playing those...

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I like the way the "American Standard" style modern bridge creates great string alignment for those Jones pickups. It is a better match there, IMO, than with your typical "T" single coil Tele bridge pickup.

The wood grain is superlative.

I love the tufted velour that Gary and 'em do on these wonderful G + G cases. I've got a big batch of those and they're holding up super nice.

Congrats!

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Very nice, you are one lucky guitar player:)

Thank you. When I first read your post, I really didn't quite get the meaning, specifically, of what you were saying. Maybe you were referring to the price point, the looks, or just that I had found a good guitar. A few days later with this tele, back home on my own amps and pedalboard, and I am thrilled with this guitar, how well it plays, how it sounds...everything.

Around 2008, I was on a business trip up in the greater DC area and visited a mom/pop guitar store where I found an E series stratocaster from the late 80s for around $450 bucks - it played like butter - quite possibly the best playing guitar I had ever had my hands on. I had a guitar tech friend of mind tear it down, just to make sure everything was legit, and to just know exactly what it was and there on the neck heel were stamped the words "John Cruz" - this would have been during his "pre custom shop" days - sadly I was not a strat guy and sold it some time later. I had not found another guitar that played so well as that strat...until now.

I am still getting the setup right but to me, this is one of those once-in-a-lifetime guitars, the second one I've ever come across - it is just such a joy to play and I have yet to find a bad or unusable sound.

I feel very fortunate and very lucky indeed.