New Tenor Ukelele Day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dlew919, Mar 25, 2020.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Bought a nice Tenor ukelele. It's mahogany with a pickup. It's from a manufacturer named Braidwood - bought in Sydney (Logan's at Burwood to be precise.)

I've done a google search but all I get is where you can buy them. Does anyone know anything about the company who makes them at all? (and where I might get more specs than 'mahogany' and 'pickup' and 'cutaway'?

Thanks in advance.

(also posted this on mandolincafe.com I'm really curious)
    (should add I'm not enamored of the ukulele, but do teach it, and my soprano was too small (and my son plays it all the time, so I can never find it... ;) )

Bergy likes this.
  2. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Stewmac sell tenor , and other sized kits, but mahogany and no cutaway or pickups. You can get that sort of thing on eBay.
    I used to make several at Xmas, my son made our mold, and parents would buy them for their kids. All solid wood kits sound good, getting harder to get.
    Adelaide has two pubs designated Uke nights- quite a lively ukulele scene here.

dlew919 likes this.
  3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Chinese manufacturers will put any name you want on the headstock, allowing smaller retailers/distributors to have an own brand. Dawsons have 'Redwood', Gear4Music have 'SubZero' and Thomann have 'Harley Benton'. Some entrepreneurs have created own label short runs too, making identification rather tricky.

Take a look at the edge of the soundhole. That'll show if it's a laminate or not. No worries if it is a laminate. A thin laminate is a good laminate. While you're in there, look at the lining and bracing. The label may give a model number. Oft times, the label shows a basic model number with additional prefix or suffix to denote a tweak to a basic model to suit a retailer, so a TU-36M may become a TU-36ML, denoting 'Tenor Ukulele basic model 36 Mahogany made for Logans', that kind of thing can help in tracking down and sating curiosity. Work out as many specs as you can before hitting the search engines.

Be warned about spending hours on DHGate/Alibaba tracking things down though. Your wish-list can get mighty long.

Tonetele and dlew919 like this.
  4. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

DF4B03F3-B0D1-4255-8812-95716E6F6CA3.jpeg A74BBD4A-029D-41D6-8096-2E33CAEAFA0D.jpeg

Here is my weirdly generic Australian made tenor uke. I got it dirty cheap but think it looks awesome and plays well enuff for my uke skills. Like you, I couldn’t find anything about the company on the internet. Sorry I can’t offer up more info than that, but congrats on the new axe...looking forward to some pictures. =)

dlew919 likes this.
  5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I asked my old gf in the city if she had a spare Uke for me to practice on... she collects them..

she dropped these over, with a stand rack in the box still... I haven't been on the uke much, but the kala bass sounds great through my Laney 300 combo....

the uke is an Artist.. spruce solid top/mahogany body... nice..:)

Ukes1.jpg

Tonetele, dlew919 and Bergy like this.
  6. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

I really like the rubbery strings they put on those uke basses. Gives em a deceivingly large sound when amplified.

dlew919 and trev333 like this.
  7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

When I looked at the string posts there was way too much string on there,, overlapping..o_O

so, I gradually shortened/tensioned each of them so there was only enough wraps to fill the posts and now it's much better to tune/hold tune...

it sure is fun to play.. as I've been playing bass for a few years.... all the notes seemed right under your fingers and no stretching at all... :cool:

dlew919 likes this.
  8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the new uke! I search around for Braidwood for you and found little other than retail listings, one from Logan Piano in Sydney.

On a lark, my lovely wife bought me a uke for this last Christmas. It is a Kala concert uke with solid cedar top, acacia sides and back, mahogany neck, laurel fingerboard and bridge, and padauk rosette and binding. It has a strong, mellow voice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they got me with the padauk binding. :D

Bob

dlew919 and ukepicker like this.
  9. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

20200326_121735.jpg

I've been dabbling with a Kala spruce and rosewood tenor for a while. Treated myself to a mango Pono concert size this week with Rob MacKillop's book of transcriptions from Spanish renaissance composer Gaspar Sanz. Great fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.