1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Tele's Tone Too Bright

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blackie1956, Jan 26, 2017.

1. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

If you do a quick search, you'll notice that the wires have different colours. It's been discussed on here before. CS are black, white and yellow while Mex have green, yellow and black wires. Check out the prices for a replacement mex vs cs pickup as well.

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Blackie1956 likes this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've read most of the old threads, and if you kindly share the links that I missed that indicate this, I can 'adjust' myself. It seems to me the colors don't matter--and my post above of a Twisted Tele neck clearly shows green yellow and black plastic wires with flush magnets as being made in USA. Darren Riley sells these for $39 bucks.

http://darrenriley.com/store/fender-twisted-telecaster-neck-pickup-0072267000/

songtalk likes this.
  4. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Tele-Meister

Good to know. The bridge pup is treble strong, but I expect that in a tele. I spend a lot of my time on the neck pup, and that's too trebly for me. I have adjusted the pup height, and that did help some. I think between that, the tone knob, and the amp adjustment, it will be a very good guitar.

rebelwoclue, Steve_U1S and Tim S like this.
  5. LAGinz

LAGinz Tele-Meister

I find the Twisted Tele pickup on the Baja to have a rather scooped tonal range which you really have to deal with at the amp to add midrange. OTOH, as is, it sounds pretty great combined with the Broadcaster bridge.

6. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Tele-Meister

I loved the scooped sound (when not too bright, that is), and so I don't attempt to compensate. :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  7. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

(The colour coding difference is also, I believe, meant to denote the fact that the AmStd version Broadcaster/TT set are RWRP as a set, so are noise-cancelling in the middle position of the 3-way, whereas the Baja MIM set is not RWRP; that's likely because of the ("half-out-of-") phase control housed on the S1 volume control switch... perhaps not wanting to offer 'sometimes' noise-cancelling, sometimes not...)

ecosse and qblue like this.
  8. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Tele-Meister

More helpful information! Very appreciative!

Steve_U1S likes this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think people might be getting mixed up between pickups that are actually made in the CS shop vs stuff made in Corona's basement by trolls. Both, far as I can tell, are made in USA. But again, sorry OP, this is OT. Yet bad info on threads spread rumors and jack up prices for no good reason. People just ignore facts nowadays :rolleyes:

ecosse, Hexabuzz and puddin like this.
  10. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

What i said earlier was apparently rubbish.
    I contacted Fender directly who said the pickups were EXACTLY the same. Any differences are due to the wood (let's not start that debate) or my own hearing, not the pickups.

In future, I'll ignore everything the internet says!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  11. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/what-is-the-fez-parka-mod.247473/

I wired my tele like this and I think it gives much greater control rolling off the treble. I even perceive a little mid boost as you roll down. Now I only run the tone control full out on the neck pickup and even then it's usually to get a lead tone over the level of the band. It's simple and easily reversible.

12. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

This is the skinny on this subject: Get pure NICKEL strings (Fender 150's are cheap too, but very good.). They seem to mellow my ice pickiness. This and tone control usage will likely satisfy you.

Tim S likes this.
  13. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I would try some different saddles. IMO saddles can and often doe depending on brand and type make a serious difference. And what are the brightest saddle si have used?Fender brass ! Which i take it your Baja has. Saddles i have found that are less bright are believe it or not some of the smooth steel ones. NOT the threaded type, which can be painfully bright. But the pure vintage 58's. Another thats brass and IMO quite a bit darker than fender brass are stew mac compensated brass. That would probably be my pick for a really bright tele. Callaham have a really great compensated set too, and while not as dark, they somehow seem to retain the tele's twang and natural brightness without sounding overly bright. I like them a lot more than stew mac but they ate a lot more $ and maybe not enough of a brightness fix for you. But in any case, IMO at least saddles are a huge tone factor on teles more than any other guitar and you can really fine tune a tele with saddle choice.

14. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

A lot of folks have recommended going with a higher value tone cap (above and beyond the 0.022 uF cap or possibly 0.047 uF) that you currently have on there. This will certainly remove highs. But to my ear, this would produce a muddier tone and you'd be less likely to use the tone control for improved response as a result. I'm currently going from a 0.047 uF cap (very muddy) to a lower value. Tried 0.015uF (better tone control response, less muddy) but will now try an even lower value--an Orange Drop .0068 uF cap. Lindy Fralin has a good discussion (video) on his website. I like the neck pickup most and am trying to get it a little warmer but non-muddy. I like the bridge pickup too and, while I might like a little less high end, don't want to destroy the "twang". Hence, my changing of the tone caps to the lower end.

Just my $0.02.

15. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

- Turn the tone knob on the guitar down
    -Turn the mids up on the amp, treble down
    -use a longer cable (more capacitance)

I also agree, about smaller caps providing more useful high end roll off. IMO, you only use a bigger cap if you turn your tone control to '0' and it's too bright. If that happens with a 22nF or 47nF cap, something's wrong because those values offer a huge amount of high end roll off.

16. rhcole

rhcole TDPRI Member

Get yourself a Stellartone Micro Pedal II- this may be discontinued, email them to see if it's available.
    http://www.stellartone.com/index.asp
    Problem solved.
    I have the jazz version. It is a tiny floor pedal.
    Make sure to get a version II which allows you to select 1/2, 2/3, or full tone adjustments.
    Otherwise, you'll still be too "wooley".

Or, you can buy their mods that fit your guitar.

17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Ever think your hearing is degrading more with each passing year? It is the higher frequencies that go first....

18. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Could be those stock p/us just don't agree with you. I had a baja ... did not like the stock p/us, changed them. Great guitar, just not the p/us for me.
    MD

19. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

^^^^ This is the right advise.....
    Possibly swap out the saddles as well.
    Don't waste you're time/money buying pedals, long cables, rolling the tone knob off....
    I like to get my tone with both knobs full on. Then I can get subtle changes by rolling off. (I seldom need to adjust the tone knob)

20. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I bet your Les Paul is too heavy :p:D

If you like the guitar otherwise, swap out the pickups is what I'd do. Actually, I would mess around with the height of the current pickups first probably, and tone settings on the guitar and amp, and if all that failed, I would start looking for pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.