1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Tele's Tone Too Bright

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blackie1956, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Maybe you could try some flatwound strings.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

hmm..if those were ice picky but ok, yet the Baja is worse?

You might want a overwound bridge or lil humbugger in there...

Blackie1956 likes this.
  3. BorderRadio

Some MIM Fenders have USA-made pickups and parts. Technically speaking, all MIM Fenders are "designed by USA." You might say apples to oranges, but I'll submit this example for you: The TVL Jazzmaster is made with USA-made pickups, USA-made floating trem, probably a USA-made bridge, the same that's now offered on the American Pro, far as I can tell. My bound neck with big block inlays is high-quality, it wouldn't surprise me if it was made in Corona and finished up in Ensenada. The TVL is a outlier as far as MIMs are concerned, but looking at my Classic 50s Lacquer Tele, I swear up and down the bridge plate and saddles look like USA, as do the knobs. Full size CTS pots like a USA Tele--where those are made, I do not know. I don't own a Baja but I have a Twisted neck--my understanding is that those are USA made. Fender isn't the only manufacturer that does things like this: send parts to Mexico for assembly, or vice versa.

JustABluesGuy and baldwindp like this.
  4. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

It's an honest pickup. Perhaps it will grow on you over time. I enjoy bright tele bridge pickups more with each passing year. Just try to play smoother and cleaner; see if you can tame that beast. If you can make a bright tele pickup sound pretty than you have good hands!

5. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

I'm not arguing that a Mex guitar isn't a good guitar. But US guitars are a level up because of fit and finish and parts and not because it the same thing assembled in a different country (seems to be a bit of an urban myth around this). You can often find spec part # sheets online for fender guitars and you can compare mex and US part #s. Also Check for yourself... for example pull the pickups out of a mex and compare with a US (or google pics), measure output etc.

6. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Use a 50' cable?

nojazzhere, swany and Ripradiant like this.
  7. BorderRadio

Sorry man, I'm not saying anything about good or bad either--I'm stating the best facts that I know of. I own both a 50s Classic Laq and a TVL, and I research my purchases--both were excellent btw. I think you might be generalizing that all American guitars, or rather USA Fenders are a 'level up' as much as you say they are. But now I am going on about quality, which is way OT for this thread (sorry OP). Fact is, USA-made parts are on some MIM Fenders, the TVL Jazzmaster example I shared can be verified by FMIC. Of course, FMIC reserves the right to change spec without notice...and their website is full of errors. What did your spec sheets/part numbers say about Twisted Tele neck pickups?

baldwindp likes this.
  8. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Tele tone knob.
    Should be called a better and worse knob.
    If you want a darker guitar, you chose poorly.
    ( not that it won't do it, but that that's not what it's for)

9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Sigh ... there are a lot of wrong solutions in this thread. You said the guitar is too bright? If that is so then these are the prescriptions:

-lower the pickups farther away from the strings.
    -lower kohm volume pot. If 500k then go to 250k, if 250k then measure a bunch and find the lowest tolerance one maybe you can find a 225k? Or a 100k? Keep going lower.
    -higher uF tone cap. Most Tele have 0.047/0.05uF so go to 0.068 or 0.100uF
    -Use the 4th-way on that Baja switch to put both pickups in series, they will be darker together.
    -yeah, you might need to use the tone knob.
    -You could try various caps in parallel across the pickup hot and ground.

I'm usually fighting to get the mud out, so if someone has a muddy pickup then reverse all the items listed above.

basher, callasabra, swany and 3 others like this.
  10. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

In what context are you playing the PR?

Adjust height of pups, turn down tone knob, treble down on amp, longer cable and not George-L types, put amp on floor if it's on a stand, amp vol up, guitar vol down, no two guitars will sound exactly alike, just turn everything until you like it, take a long, long cable, walk way far away and see if it's still sounding as bright as you think

11. ebb soul

So many here buy teles to sound like Howard Roberts.
    You could consider a Howard Roberts guitar, done deal.
    Must be 50 threads on neck PU only tele builds.
    I thought the point was twang and snap.
    Maybe that's just me.
    And every country picker you ever heard.
    I dunno.
    Sorry.

JustABluesGuy and songtalk like this.
  12. Ripradiant

Respectfully- I don't own spec sheets but here's something you might want to check out:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/twisted-tele-neck-pickup-custom-shop-or-not.274191/

Mex guitars are not USA guitars made in Mexico - you can make what you want of that twisted tele comparison I just provided. Think of it like this: a Mex guitar is a level up from a Squier and a US is a level up from a Mex. There are qualitative differences between them all whether you want to believe it or not. That does not mean that a squire is bad or a mex is bad.

13. BorderRadio

Sorry bud, Leo Fender made this all possible, and his American designs are indeed made in Mexico today. That's neither here nor there, because all I'm saying is that USA parts are factory installed in some MIM Fenders--this statement is fact, call FMIC. The OPs pickups (Twisted Tele neck, etc) are generally accepted to be USA-made. All this other stuff you're bringing up about quality and USA/MIM/Sq pricing tiers, isn't really what I'm saying--don't get it 'twisted'.

Darren Riley has Twisted Tele neck pickups, plastic wire--green, yellow, black, flush magnets at the base. Made in USA. Funny, when I was shopping around for a Twisted neck I read the same thread during research (check out post #11). Doesn't matter to me where the pickup is made from a sonic standpoint, its copper wire around some magnets built to a spec.--thinking it's the qualitative or quantitative 'best' ONLY because it's made in USA is kinda out-dated.

6223.jpg

Tim S and songtalk like this.
  14. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Tele-Meister

Because it is a MIM Custom Shop designed guitar designed by master shop builder Chris Flemming. It has several custom features, and one of them is that their stock pickups in this model (Baja) are the same as those in the MIA Am Std teles (a Broadcaster and a Twisted Tele).

old guitar player and soulman969 like this.
  15. Ripradiant

Porsche "designed" the suspension for the Hyundai Tiburon: Does that make it a Porsche?

16. ebb soul

Embrace the brightness.
    Avoid the dark side.

An EQ pedal costs but many pickups, yet can be used on any guitar .
    For bright. Dark. Boost. Lo- fi, other instruments....

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  17. Staggerlee666

Staggerlee666 Tele-Meister

That's too complicated man. Here is a solution that works not only for this guitar but for any over that you own.

1. Kneel down in front of your amp.

2. Turn all the way up.

3. Play for a couple of hours non stop.

After this no guitar will ever seem bright to you.

18. Ripradiant

Sounds to me like you are making an argument about quality equivalence between USA and Mex Fenders... I don't know how one can pick up and play a US instrument and Mex one and not notice the difference. The difference is not just "marketing" etc. Its not tired - its true.

Perhaps Mex guitars should be more expensive seeing how they have to ship US parts down there to assemble them and then bring em back to sell! Labour probably less of a cost issue with more automation. Who knows maybe Fender makes everything in Mexico and ships some up here and calls em USA just to fool everyone - and no one can tell the difference.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  19. BorderRadio

:rolleyes: Take care dude, you got it figured out.

Asmith, songtalk and soulman969 like this.
  20. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Lots of people can't tell the difference.

You must have such delicate and sensitive fingers, capable of discerning such minutia. My poor old callused hands couldn't tell the difference between a 2 x 4 with some rusty nails in it and a 51 Nocaster. I'm still gonna sound like me as long as it's in tune and I got a good amp. I'm just happy to be playing when I'm holding a guitar.

LAGinz and BorderRadio like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.