1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Tele's Tone Too Bright

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blackie1956, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Tele-Meister

Picked up a used ten-year old Classic Player Baja tele, and I like everything about it, with the exception of it being brighter than I like. I can bump up my string gauge up from 9's to 10's, but that's probably about it due to my hand issues. Probably wouldn't make much difference. I've got my Princeton Reverb amp set at 2 treble and 7 bass. That helps a good amount, but it still seems a little thin and bright to me. (Please don't tell me that telecasters can be bright and twangy, I've owned a couple before, so I'm well aware of that.) Suggestions?

2. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Maybe the previous owner made changes.
    Check the wiring to see if anything is different there - cap values? treble bleed installed? 250K pots?
    Are the pickups stock?

3. SnowStorm

SnowStorm Tele-Meister

Does the tone knob work?

4. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

If the tone knob doesn't work the way you want it to. Maybe upgrade pickups to Fender USA.

Thin69 and LouBluz like this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Check the pickup heights. Bringing them up should help fill out the tone a bit. A higher value cap will allow you to roll off more highs faster so that's something else to check as far as what's in there now.

Even though you've owned Teles in the past maybe your ears need some time to adjust to one again if you've been playing guitars with darker pickups.

6. SnowStorm

SnowStorm Tele-Meister

Some guys I know will never roll down their tone knobs. I saw as thread as while back that suggested you roll of the tone down to completely dark, play for a bit and then start gradually rolling out brighter (without looking at the level). Then stop where it sounds good and you may be supposed how far down it is an still sounds good.

RoyBGood, Route67, darkwaters and 7 others like this.
  7. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Roll the tone knob back just a little. I have a Jazzmaster reissue that is exceedingly bright. I tend to keep the tone knob set at 7 or below and that gives is a full, clear tone, that doesn't make my ears hurt.

Obsessed likes this.
  8. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Tele-Meister

All stock to my knowledge. Didn't think of the pots. I'll have my luthier check them out.

9. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Tele-Meister

Thanks, but am already doing that. If I turn it down any more, it becomes too wooly sounding.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't know why this bugs people, and they say it 'muddies' up the sound. I admit, I expected a guitar to sound 'right' at full tilt for years--but that's silly to me now. It's a good reference point, sure, but I think there is this idea of "tone sucking" that permeates the brain waves among guitar players. Tone is tone, man.

songtalk likes this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

What specific Teles did you own before? Did you play them through the same amp you mentioned? Pending the pot values that are installed and where you set the bridge pickup height, this could be helpful..

soulman969, songtalk and Blackie1956 like this.
  12. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I hate to be "that guy"....but .....single coil bolt neck guitars are generally known for being "the bright choice".....if you want "not bright", maybe a Gibson or some overwound pickups?

swany and Ian T like this.
  13. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Tele-Meister

The Classic Player Baja Tele has American pups: the Broadcaster and the Twisted Tele.

MadRocker, rebelwoclue and baldwindp like this.
  14. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Tele-Meister

I owned two Deluxe Nashville Teles. Both had bridge pups that were equally bright and ice-picky. That was okay, as mostly use the neck pup, and when I do use the bridge pup, it's mostly with OD and tone around middle. Both had neck pups with better tone.

15. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Tele-Meister

I have a Am Std Strat with SSS config. I've owned a Gibson 335, as well as other makes. I'm mostly a maple neck single coil player. I know how they should sound.

songtalk likes this.
  16. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Good! Maybe you found a bright one. Try some overwound pickups. Darken it up a lot that way.

Or just sell it and try to get one you like. Just be sure to be honest about the "excessive brightness" and price accordingly. Wouldn't be right not to pass that along to the future buyer. ;)

BorderRadio and soulman969 like this.
  17. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Don't want to appear argumentative but why would a Mexican Tele have USA pickups? They may call them USA style or designed by USA etc but a US Tele is a US tele for a reason and is priced accordingly.

T Prior and LAGinz like this.
  18. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

1meg caps

19. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Yup. Tone control. Roll it back 1/4 to 1/3. CS

2 Headed Goat and Obsessed like this.
  20. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

I noticed a huge improvement from thin/overly bright to full bodied by changing from 9-42 to 10-46 D'Addario Nickels and roll back on tone with single coils.

dblues, Tim S and Blackie1956 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.