New Telecaster American Pro 2

ChrisDowning

Tele-Meister
Is that a Whiteguard "Strat" in your avatar photo? I've got one from 2018, those are awesome! Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'll show myself out.

View attachment 924044
Yes, it is - apparently, they made 400 each in 2018 of the Parallel Universe Strats, Teles, and jazzers - then did it again with other mix-ups the next year. When I was teaching guitar I would use both Tele and a Strat - the Tele didn't have a body carve so the edge digs into your ribs a bit and the Strat was so comfortable - but has too many options - so I thought the perfect match was everything Tele and a Strat body - then Fender came out with this one so I bought it. Got rid of the 1997 Tele with the bigger frets.

However I have changed these Nocaster pickups that came with the guitar as they just didn't cut it in the rock band I play in - so got a Lollar Royal T for the neck and then a year later the Lollar Vintage for the bridge - of course the neck is very Stratty now - but I like that. It's a powerful beast - love it - the best guitar I've ever played since the 60s now. Gotta love those Lollars + the Fender stuff.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
NGD 11:40 PST:

YaHOO!

View attachment 924178

I was afraid it might be not bright enough, or the high E on the neck pu might be diminished.
Not so!

Sounds great, plays great. Looks strange. I love it!
All the Tele's are different. The American Pro 2 doesn't quite have quite the twang as some others but
more than makes up for it in its near p90 sound. They put in there a very useable variety of sounds
without going overboard, that's why I bought one too

rbr49x

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
...Did anyome bother to measure factory pickup height on their pro 2?

I like to take a lot of measurements when I get a new guitar so I can try to return home when I mess it up.

On my 2021 APII Telecaster:

Pickup Heights - fret at last fret and measure with action gauge

________Neck Bridge
String 1: 4/64” 7/64

Sting 6: 6/64 7/64

Volume balance good

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
Just bought a pro 2 tele today. They didn't have the color I wanted so I won't get it for a week. The one I played at the store was phenomenal. I'm a 30 plus years strat guy and just grabbed the tele on whim. Couldn't believe how good it sounded. Nothing shrill or harsh. Great bottom end. Has all the tele twang, spank, and raunch. Great neck too. My strats might be collecting dust when the tele gets here.

estebetele

TDPRI Member
I like to take a lot of measurements when I get a new guitar so I can try to return home when I mess it up.

________Neck Bridge

Volume balance good

Thank you, shell give these a try. I messed with mine and forgot to measure beforehand and I am very curios what factory settings would sound like. Plus it's great fun to find a definite answer to this seemingly unanswerable question, i.e. factory pickup height for the ap 2

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Just bought a pro 2 tele today. They didn't have the color I wanted so I won't get it for a week. The one I played at the store was phenomenal. I'm a 30 plus years strat guy and just grabbed the tele on whim. Couldn't believe how good it sounded. Nothing shrill or harsh. Great bottom end. Has all the tele twang, spank, and raunch. Great neck too. My strats might be collecting dust when the tele gets here.

What color did you order?

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Got the Mystic sea foam. I wanted a black one with a rosewood fretboard, but they only come with maple unless you get the Texas tea, but I like the pickups and the bridge on the pro 2.

Excellent. You do know the rules, right? You are required - by law - to post pictures when that new guitar arrives! :D

FollowMyHead

TDPRI Member

________Neck Bridge

Volume balance good
This is excellent information to have on hand! Just copied it into my Google Keep.

Thanks!

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
This is excellent information to have on hand! Just copied it into my Google Keep.

Thanks!
I just put a piece of tape in the pickup where it meets the guard and then I can return it to it's original position. Btw a 64th of an inch isn't going to do much. Id say about a half of a turn if the screw is required to make a noticable difference.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
I haven't tried the Deluxe with Humbuckers version but am wondering if the
back switch on this one (that puts both pickups on) is strong enough
to make me not want or need the HB version of the AP.
I have a 2020 American Professional II Tele just like the one in the op. To me the pickups are the weak point of the guitar, and the series position does not approximate a humbucker. It IS a fatter sound so if you're used to a Tele it might be enough.
Nice. I thought Fender started making the American Standard in 1987.
Yes. Late '86, actually.

barrymw

TDPRI Member
I got a Roasted Pine Am Pro II Tele about a year ago, I love it. It plays great, very comfortable neck, and I think the pickups sound great. I especially like the neck pickup, there’s a certain tone it has clean that’s just beautiful. Enjoy yours!