New tele with minor damage, keep it or swap it

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Craig_D, Apr 20, 2020.

Tags:

Should I keep or return the guitar

1. Keep the guitar

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. Return the guitar

31 vote(s)
    75.6%
  1. Craig_D

Craig_D TDPRI Member

Hi, my 40th is coming up and I've decided I want a new tele as not had one in a god while and enjoying single coils more lately. After going back and forth over a number of options have ended up deciding to get a classic vibe that will receive a bunch of modifications to exactly what I want.

Due to current landscape only option is mail order so after finally finding stock at an ok price I took the plunge on ordering a new one blind from guitarguitar.

On receiving initial impressions pretty good its new style cv 50's, crafted in china, nut looks clean, 41.5mm feels a bit narrower than I prefer but seems correct. Neck has a nice c, thinner than I'd ideally want but again as expected. The body is a nice looking 3 piece large centre piece with fairly symmetrical narrower wings, fit and finish seems good, frets ends slightly more angled on treble side but seem decent enough, weight is 8.2 lbs so moving towards heavier side of good.

The bad points are on inspecting the bottom strap button has taken a knock and is bent in with screw bent and a small dent and cracked finish under the button, the crack is not visible when button in place. Also and I might be imagining this but the lower treble side curve near where the jack socket is looks kinda wavy and not a smooth curve.

Also to check it was a new guitar but didn't come in squire box and didn't include wrenches for saddles or truss rod, would these normally come with a new squire?

I'll try to add photos to show everything, not sure if I'm imagining the curve thing ad it's kinda hard to show in photo.

It's getting a complete hardware swap out and going to be an hs setup. So based on the above info, would you keep the guitar or return it and roll the dice again on a different one?

2. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

I voted before I even read the OP. I would send it back. By posting here you have already hinted at negative feelings towards this particular guitar. I know from experience that if I'm not 100% happy with the guitar when it shows up, no amount of modding is going to take away the nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that something was wrong with it in the beginning.

Also, EVERY Squier guitar I have purchased that came in a box (they all came in a Squier box) included the tools to set up the guitar. I've probably ordered 5-6 in the last 3-4 years.

It sounds like the store you ordered it from boxed up a used or damaged guitar and passed it off as new.

Send it back and get one that is up to your standards.

3. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

Looks like it fell straight down from a wall hanger and bent the strap button. Send it back would be my first thought.

4. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

as sonic mustang says, new means perfect. it's not perfect. maybe you could give them a chance to offer you compensation given that it is a small fix, if not then back it should go.

mfguitar and Dismalhead like this.
  5. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would send it back.

6. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If I liked the guitar otherwise I would contact the seller and look for a discount on the price. Then put in a new screw and forget about it

7. Craig_D

Craig_D TDPRI Member

yeah kind my thoughts though dont think height could have been to much as damage to body is really minor, seems like nice looking body grain and well put together 3 piece. just worried I swap it and end up with a butcher board weighing 9.5lbs.

I'm not that familiar with modern squiers but can't really stretch to fender with stlye I want and will accommodate mods I want to do. I'm between see if they'll discount it or just cut losses and try again but not sure I'd get as nice a looking body grain every time.

8. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'd put locking strap buttons on it and move on. A replacement might not be as pretty as that one. Plus shops always spit on exchanges. (Like restaurants.)

Toadtele, mfguitar and Pontiaddict like this.
  9. Craig_D

Craig_D TDPRI Member

What's folks thought on the body round the Jack does that look wonky or is it a "period correct feature", or maybe just my imagination.

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I dont think the strap button on an inexpensive guitar like that is an issue. Those stock buttons are crap anyway. There are some things you note that you dont like that well, so here's your chance to return. Otherwise probably just keep it. It looks good!
    But yes, get a discount, it is obviously an "open box", or "floor model", missing the tools etc. Usually open box type things (even without the damage) are discounted quite a bit. It's all about what you paid I guess. Send them a note about the missing stuff and damage and ask for a "return or discount"

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I dont see a pic of that area, but do you mean the curve/contour is a bit flat in the area of the jack? I've seen that on many T types, I can't really see it on your pics like some.

12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Looks a little uneven in radius to me, I think. That wouldn’t be a deal-breaker for me, but it’s easy for me to say that: I didn’t just pay for it. If that will bug you, it will take away from your enjoyment and enjoying it is the whole point. My threshold is probably different than yours.

13. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recall purchasing a Valley Arts guitar, about the time they were being absorbed by Samick, and they sent me something that looked good in pics but disappointing IRL.
    Worse, it had some of the noisiest wiring I can recall. Ultimately sent it back - on reflection, can't understand why I dithered on the keep/return decision so long.

Start over
    Peace - Deeve

14. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

If the finish is intact under the button, then I'd just get another button and screw. It looks more like it's been swung and hit something than having been dropped. If you're buying a new button, get an Electrosocket jack cup too.

I got mine in the box, no allen keys. The one for the bridge saddles turned out to be 1/16", not metric. The body shape is normal too, there's a slight flat area around the jack cup.

15. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Even a squier, I wouldn't accept in that state as a new guitar. Snail mail dropped my duosonic and bent my bottom strap button almost 1/4" into the finish, but I have less in that guitar with the custom pickups, new guard, strap n locks than what some used prices are. And it was used, and not the sellers fault, as they were new to Reverb, and you live and learn. Under your circumstances, they owe you an undamaged tele.

16. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

if you like how it plays and it sounds good keep it. fixing the chipped finish isn't too hard and a straplock is probably in order anyway

mfguitar likes this.
  17. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you’re concerned about the button not seating perfectly use a felt washer under it or as had been suggested strap locks

18. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If you got the guitar from a place like Sweetwater call and send them your pictures. They might knock off a few bucks.

Also you may have a guitar that was sent back and then resold.

1 person likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.