New Tele Will Not Tune

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MerleJam, Sep 21, 2019.

1. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

+1

...& wind properly around the posts with your new strings. Plenty of youtube tutorials.

If the tuning issue stabilizes assess the nut slots.

2. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Just because I care so much I will lay it out one more time according to the OP.

The guitar keeps going out of tune.The action is high. He keeps tuning it up, but after an hour the action is noticably higher.
    That is not caused by the nut. It is caused by a loose truss rod.
    You're 49 years old. You can adjust a truss rod without breaking it.

jimilee likes this.
  3. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone for the knowledge and suggestions. Been a bit since I’ve been back on the forum. I’ve since had a setup done. It now holds tune and plays like a dream. Still has some intonation issues and could use some further nut work(still pings a little on the g when I bend). I’ve ordered some Rutters straight compensates brass saddles. Looking forward to getting them.

AAT65 likes this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Absolutely, but it would be accompanied by distinct rattling, don't you think?

IMO, one must not cinch those nuts down too tight - the maple underneath will be crushed and among other things, this makes the neck worthless for conversion to "Kluson" or split post style machines.

5. boris bubbanov

Marc's saddles are great. Glad you got some relief from the shop. Now, you have some reading to do here to develop the tech skills for yourself.

Look carefully at all the images of Rutters eccentric slot saddles on this board. It will not be a gentle arc, when you sight down the guitar from the bottom strap button. The center barrel will not be 100% horizontal and the two "outboard" saddles will have mismatched slants. But it supposed to be that way. Just a tiny detail really; just wanted to give you a heads up in advance.

MerleJam likes this.
  6. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

51BcI+8EwIL__SX383_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg I didn't see that anyone had suggested this, but if this is a duplicate post, my apologies. One inexpensive investment that made a world of difference for me is this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0879309989/?tag=tdpri-20

It is written in a practical and informative manner, guides a person through the what and the why, and for me, brought a level of confidence that I hadn't had before. This forum is a wealth of knowledge, and hand-in-hand with the how-to and great photos, a person ought to be able to do a great set-up

nojazzhere and MerleJam like this.
  7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

The first thing I'll do with a new (to me) guitar is change the strings before I do anything else.

MerleJam likes this.
  8. boris bubbanov

As long as the existing strings are not horrible, I stay with them and try to do as much of a basic setup as I can, before I retire them.

Otherwise you get into this trap where you toss Set #1, do somewhat of a setup and install Set #2, and then discover the strings need to be removed again. Sometimes you can apply a capo, detension the strings and remove the neck, take out a shim and replace the nut or improve the nut slots, and reassemble the guitar. But If I've blown through two sets of new strings doing a complete set up, I feel like I've screwed up.

If you use split post tuning machines and an intricate approach to prepping and loading strings into the post of such machines, there is a "Ride A Unicycle" trick you can do to remove and replace strings without any loss of integrity, but this means you're spending an hour, average, per day at the bench monkeying with electric guitars. I understand that now and I don't go 'round recommending that anymore - except to those who already know how, that is.

MerleJam likes this.
  9. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

If it was bought on line and you take it to your local Fender dealer, he’ll presumably have to do the work and charge you nothing if it’s a valid warranty claim? Hope Fender bail him out, hardly seems fair otherwise,

10. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

The saddles from Marc arrived today. The shipping was very expedient. I took a shot and installed them myself...aaaannnnddd my intonation issues are gone. Incredibly pleased with this purchase.

SecretSquirrel, nojazzhere and AAT65 like this.
  11. don

don Tele-Meister

The nut as others have said - it’s really about 1000ths of an inch to get it right and production guitars rarely get it right

12. Finger Ease

Finger Ease TDPRI Member

I have been tuning and fixing guitars since the 70's and have seen just about everything. I have not read any of the replies to your post. If I had this guitar and did a couple of tests it would probably come back with three problems. Bridge drift, cracked neck or neck/body separation. None of which are easy fixes or can even be fixed. That's all I got sorry.

13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's great news, and good to know. I love it when these issues get sorted out. Play on...!

14. Finger Ease

Finger Ease TDPRI Member

After reading all the qualified responses to your question, I re-read your question. I thought your guitar was a new, guitar shop, purchase and had been properly setup.
    So here is my amended response. Take it to a qualified tech, since you are not one. I know what I would do, but that is because I have setup 1000's of guitars and there is a
    certain time approved method of doing it. As someone else put on here, Set the angle of the neck with truss rod and check the tilt of the neck with the body. Doing these two things
    will improve the play ability of the neck/string positioning. Make sure the 3rd thru 9th frets are aligned correctly.
    I will do 3 to 6 guitars a week with problems like yours. Gladly to say that most mid-range quality guitars can be setup correctly and play just right. Good luck.

15. SkinnyAss

SkinnyAss TDPRI Member

Lots of good information here. I've been fooling with stringed instruments for nearly 60 years, I have a Danelectro,Tele & Strat but I've never bought a new Fender.

I read several books and watched many videos about setup, and learned that although there is much science in it, there is also a great deal of art as well.

The Telecaster Book that reviewed one dozen different new Teles said that EVERY ONE that left the factory "could use a setup."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.