new tele, some crackle on the tuning pot

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by darylcrisp, Sep 18, 2020.

1. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

whats a good cleaner to use?

60's AO, some crackle like noise at both extremes when using.

i used my yamaha THR which is battery powered(so not plugged in), mogani cable. tried my other tele with same amp/cord and no problem. cable fits snug in the jack. just that static type noise at each distant spot of rotation.

and anything you think of that i should check out, or be careful with when cleaning, please let me know

thank you
    d

Sev112 likes this.
  2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Tuning pot?

brogh, Dan_Pomykalski, middy and 4 others like this.
  3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

DeOxit.

With your tele unplugged...

Unscrew and gently remove the control plate from its cavity. Lightly spray the DeOxit where the pot shaft meets the pot body, then rotate the pot shaft, several times, in each direction, then wipe any excess cleaner.

Do this for the Volume AND tone pots.

Easy peasey. ;)

darkwaters, Sev112, Switchy and 2 others like this.
  4. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

Tone pot-lol, sorry, posted this around 4am using phone didn't notice spell check "correction".

Tone knob is smooth , but has some very noticeable crakle at both end of rotations. All thru the rest of movement dead quiet. Assuming it needs a good flushing/cleaning. Wanted to know what folks have found that works for this. Pickups sound real nice in this model btw.

d

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  5. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

Thank you!
    I looked at stew Mac last nite and saw that, hoping that local auto store has it. If they dont, any alternative brand contact cleaner any of you have used with good results?
    Guitar needs relief removed so i will have pickguard off, and needs good cleaning of frets, and general setup lookover, so I was going to get to all that this weekend.

Thank you
    d

6. FenderGuy53

Don't compromise! DeOxit has properties that others lack.

An auto store MAY carry DeOxit, but I think you'd have a higher probability of success at a hardware store, like ACE Hardware, Lowe's or Home Depot. Worse case, there's always Guitar Center.

Good luck!

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My recommendation with the Deoxit is to get it with a needle applicator and NOT a spray can. The spray is too strong and the top generally leaks, so most of the solvent ends up somewhere you don't want it. May need to order these squeeze bottles online from Ammyzon, eBay, or specialty shop. Usually the only thing I can find nearby are the ubiquitous spray cans.

8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I wish there was a tuning pot

9. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

My Guitar Center stocks it. They have it behind the counter in their keyboard/PA room.

10. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Everyone agrees on this one. Me too. Amazing.

11. Boreas

StewMac has started selling a different brand called Lectricare that I just bought. I have only used it a couple times and it seems to work ok. Aerosol though. Pinpoint applicators save allotta product.

12. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

image.jpg and an eye dropper

13. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Make sure it's denatured alcohol, just to be on the safe side.

Ordinary isopropyl "rubbing" alcohol does contain some sucrose octaacetate, which could cause issues with electronic components by leaving a residue.

14. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

thanks folks
    I ordered some DeOxit from stewmac(I have an account there), should have it prob Monday. I live in rural Virginia and there just about isn't anything around for an hour and half(no guitar shops for sure these days, no real hardware stores, advance auto is about it). Advance Auto had CRC contact cleaner, but i just went ahead and ordered from stewmac.

in the meantime, naptha shouldn't hurt to try should it? would be a cleaner, would not hurt the nitro if any got on it(i'll be removing the pickguard/pot to clean them anyhow, and adjust the neck relief).

i found a few other things with this tele this morn. couple frets need leveling, the nut is cut wrong with the low E sitting inboard 1/4", making the string spacing tighter than it has to be(so needs a new nut now also). 3 nut slots are way too high, other 3 are cut fine, but now that doesn't matter since a new nut with better spacing will be one more job for me to do.

those are all things i can fix, but it is somewhat annoying that even though this went thru a "55 step check before being shipped out", it has these glaring issues that if you just play it and look at it a few minutes you can see/hear all of them. lol

maybe this one just got the 40 step check, ha,ha,ha

the positives outweigh all these things though. the tele sounds really good, really tight sounding pickups, no hum, no noise(other than the tone pot), neck pocket and neck fit are tight, bridge and such appear fine and solid. so these are way more important imo.

so, would naptha be a decent thing to try(while I wait on the other) to test clean that tone pot, it might do the fix?

15. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Just a quick fix. Probably found in most homes. I did recently buy a proper cleaner.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  16. FenderGuy53

The DeOxit spray can that I am referencing, which can be found in hardware stores and music shops, is small-sized, and includes a plastic "straw" which is inserted into the spray nozzle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  17. Sev112

Sev112 TDPRI Member

I actually get Amp crackling when I tweak the low e tuning peg on my squier Tele, and sometimes the A string too

18. Boreas

That is the one I am saying to avoid. The one with the permanently attached swiveling applicator is worse. You waste more than you need and end up spraying it in your eyes. If possible try to find squeeze bottles with needle or plastic applicator. I believe the company sells them on their website. They also send them to luthiers and amp techs sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  19. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

There is tuning bridge. It seems to know the difference between a string is out of tune and bend.

20. FenderGuy53

Hmmm... I've used the spray can since Day 1 and never had an issue with it. Works fine for ME. ;)

...although, if you're wasting it, and spraying it in your eyes, I guess you need to fine another method. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.