New Tele. Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fenderrrr, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I'm sorry for your troubles. Spoils the whole NGD feel and I would probably return the guitar myself. However, if you have only communicated with the store via email and you've had good experiences with them in the past, it's worth your time to call the store and speak with the manager and explain what happened. Those of us who have a bad experience and only complain to our online friends are doing both a disservice the the guitar buying community and the store. The store can't improve unless they know there is a problem. I would do this even if I returned the guitar.

Best of luck and my condolences on being a left-hander. My father was and three of my sibs are.

2. Unison Bend

Unison Bend TDPRI Member

Tell them you have a private gig this weekend and if no replacement stock on player series, see what kind of deal they’ll float you on an American that is in stock as an upgrade.

3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I know that other people have mentioned this, but I think that there is at least a small bit of handiness required with owning and playing guitar. The issues that the OP has are not really defects in that they can't easily be corrected to have the guitar be in brand new condition. They haven't described any finish flaws, any warped neck issues, etc. They just need one screw, adjust the saddles and, perhaps, flip the switch around. If correcting those are either beyond someone's handiness skill level, or worth the trouble of returning the guitar I am gobsmacked.

4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I agree. If one is to be a life-long guitarist, it is VERY well worth beginning to learn some basic set-up skills (plenty of instruction available on YouTube).

As lammie says, correcting these very minor issues is quite simple. And worth doing, especially if finding another leftie that you love is difficult.

I certainly understand being pissed at the retailer for not making sure the guitar was right before shipping and some compensation for that is reasonable to expect. So, not unreasonable to send it back and go shopping for one you may love even MORE - if other shops have good lefties to choose from.

But still, learn to set-up your own guitars. Learn to solder. These are simple skills. Only downside to learning those things, is that will enable you to start modding and assembling your own Fenders! Then, you're really off to the races. Woo Hoo! :lol:

5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yes but it's totally on Fender for shipping out a guitar with the neck pickup shorted out. It shows QC doesn't include plugging the guitar in I'd imagine.

This was a MIM Meteora, not a MIA one FWIW in the case of the guitar I tried. It was at a Guitar Center naturally.

But yes, in the OPs case the "tech" at the store should have fixed all this if it was a showroom guitar.

These kind of issues are why I have never bought an online guitar and will continue to support local non-chain stores. Both my current guitars (I only have 2) were bought locally from top notch non-chain vendors that would never put a guitar like this out on the floor.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  6. Fenderrrr

Fenderrrr TDPRI Member

The email was polite but dude seemed pretty adamant ("The packaging will need
    to offer equal or better protection than the original did") and today they haven't replied back yet. I soo want to take my money to Anderton's at this point ;D

Dude just wanted to arrange the shipping to "fix it" and then send it back. I doubt they are going to buy into the story of a private gig with the Covid-19 thing. I could tell them i play for Stereophonics, tho. :D

Eh, i've investigated a bit and the switch will likely need to get things soldered again. I would need to find a screw for the bridge etc... Then do the setup meself. Honestly, paying full retail price on a new guitar and then have to mess with it to simply make it work doesn't seem like the smartest idea and honestly even fair.

If they offered a discount i probably would accept it but this isn't the case. They just want the guitar back, fix it and send it to me. So you basically pay full price to get some sort of a rushed/repaired tele. I'm not very picky with guitars, especially being a left-handed player. But this is just sloppy service.

I have some basic skills on changing pickups and stuff like that but i don't trust myself well enough to put my hands on a brand new guitar and do all sort of things to make it work. This model is still on production and it is currently available in most shops. Keep in mind i've paid full price for this, it wasn't some sort of a once in a lifetime chance :D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  7. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Different places, GuitatGuitar are ok, there's Coda in Herts, there's Andertons, you know, I guess it depends where you are. I see you in London, so there must be a few good shops in town. If you can't try out in person, you can always try and then return if not good. I've done this a few times.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Quite obviously, this isn't a once in a lifetime chance at buying a black leftie. :lol:

As I said, understandable to be irritated by this and demand (not beg) some compensation, or just return it and go shopping for something else that you may love even more.

Beyond all of that - you can and should be able to easily correct such things. If you're young (I think?) and if you intend to be a life-long player, such minor set-up/modding skills will likely be very useful, time and time again, for years to come.

9. Fenderrrr

Fenderrrr TDPRI Member

This is the third guitar that comes in in less than usable conditions (different retailers, SGs with giant problems) and i've now come to the same conclusion. Buying guitars online, at least at this price level, it is simply not worth it. The 50/100 bucks one saves are nothing compared to the endless time wasted in sending back, email correspondence etc... I'm gonna stick to a local shop for now on.

10. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

As long as you are OK with the effort to take it back, have it fixed, or find a new one, I say go for it.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  11. Fenderrrr

Fenderrrr TDPRI Member

Yeah being a left-handed is the big reason i've bought online. Even in London it isn't that easy to find a wide number of lefties.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  12. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Take charge man. You are in control.

You just tell them (you don't beg) that you will keep it, with reasonable compensation for correcting it yourself, OR they can take it back (on their dime) and give you a full refund so you can shop elsewhere for another. Decide which way you want to go. If they are unwilling to compensate, back it goes for a refund.

You tell them what you want done. At this point, you don't need our advice any more. Just pick up the phone and make it happen, whichever way.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Fenderrrr likes this.
  13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks to me like the saddles follow the fretboard radius. Notice the descending height of both E/e.

The saddles tilt is probably an attempt at comfort for strumming/resting ones hand, although i've personally never known that to be a problem. There's no harm here. Easy to remedy.

That saddle screw... odd. Also an easy fix.

Switch? I'm still not sure what's going on by the description. Forward most is bridge?

Much ado about nothing. If I bought that guitar I'd just dial it in the the way I prefer.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  14. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

In the UK you have a legal right to a full refund if the goods are faulty and you reject them within 30 days of receipt. This is part of the Consumer Rights Act 2014. The retailer cannot insist on a repair. After 30 days they can.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  15. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

After reading your (OP's) past several replies, I think you should return the guitar. End of story. Otherwise, you will never be happy. Totally reasonable response. If you haven't already repacked it, do so now and send out tomorrow. Assuming you want to wait until you have been credited for the return, you should be able to order another from Andertons or wherever and have it by the end of next week.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  16. Fenderrrr

Fenderrrr TDPRI Member

In the end, i've decided to ask for a compensation in lieu of sending the guitar back for good or for repair. I decided i like the neck of the guitar and i've read reviews where people complain about the construction of the guitar, sharp frets etc... In other words, buying another one no longer seems to be the better solution.

Now i'm curious to see how the store is handling it. I basically waved the white flag and said "throw some refund this way and we're good" instead of getting back the guitar, fixing it and mail it out to me a second time. We'll see.

I've done a quick search and Andertons has just one in stock, the other day they had two. People stay at home and buy guitars ;D

17. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Yes that's the one.

18. Fenderrrr

Fenderrrr TDPRI Member

Question: the store kindly agreed to a partial refund and asked me if i have a figure in mind. What would be a fair request? I'd take it to a luthier for the missing saddle screw, unsolder the pickup selector and solder back in the correct position and have a standard setup.

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  19. Unison Bend

Unison Bend TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.