New Tele. Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fenderrrr, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Send it back.

Fenderrrr and Dismalhead like this.
  2. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

if the strings are level across the board then the neck/neck pocket are ****ed!

Fenderrrr likes this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Send it back.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  4. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

The missing screw is no big deal. Just get another one at GC. I can't see that the selecter switch is a problem if it works. If you really like the guitar hang on to it. If not, hey it's just a guitar.

5. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Meister

In my day, we’d just get it fixed under the warranty…

6. NicDo

NicDo TDPRI Member

OoooOoooh weee....what up with that?

Slap Axe likes this.
  7. superjam144

superjam144 TDPRI Member

Send it back because the inverted tone control is the most obnoxious thing I've ever heard.... Almost sounds deliberate... WHY???

No way, take your business somewhere local.

A set up is one thing, but now your looking at a repair on top... Man that one really burns... how frustrating to change pickups and it's in reverse.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  8. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Just take it back mate, shouldn't come away from the shop like that. Was it from a chain eg GuitarGuitar etc.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  9. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver TDPRI Member

Why go to all the hassle of a ‘return’ especially the way things are currently, these are simple fixes and a way to learn about your guitar.
    Ok, it ain’t right it arrived in that state especially with a part missing but hey, ring the dealer, be pissed at them and get them to send new saddle screw and spring, they stock spares.
    Ask for a discount, I recently bought a Ltd edition Mexican Telecaster from a big online store, the control plate was bent and tone knob was off kilter, I managed to get £75 off the price, fixed it myself but they also sent me a brand new control plate. Email them pics as well, they don’t really want the thing back I am sure they will accommodate you.
    Good luck

10. PixelMover

PixelMover Tele-Holic

I second this. You can find another player, who knows what else was missed.

gwjensen and Fenderrrr like this.
  11. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

It sounds like the control plate was wired for a right handed guitar. Swapping the hot leads from the pickups would probably take care of the issue and quality control should have caught it.

IIRC, the early Player tele's had a problem with the bent, strat-style saddles not lining up with the tele bridge plate. The MIM style "box" saddles were offered by Fender as a fix. My point is the saddles may have been retro-fitted at the store level rather than installed at the factory. All of which changes nothing.

You should be able to feel good about your purchase, including the deal. If the seller won't offer enough to cover the electronic repair and a pro set-up, plus something for your trouble, I'd send it back and move on.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  12. Fenderrrr

Fenderrrr TDPRI Member

Yeah, that really gives out the idea of a rushed product. At full retail price, notheless.

Bought it off the brighton online store. I've always had a great service, no bitterness it can happen.

You have a point but truth is i can't make all the proper adjustments needed myself (not on a new guitar, at least).

I've asked what my options are at this point, but unless it is a big discount, it is going back. As somone already said, you can find a player elesewhere. Still bummed, the finish on this model is amazing.

13. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Not only is this disappointing to the OP what a disappointing development in Fender QA. Last year I bought 2 MIM Fenders (TVL JM, Vintage Jag) were nicely set up. If it was me I wouldn’t keep it.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  14. Fenderrrr

Fenderrrr TDPRI Member

The store wrote me back and I don't like the reply AT ALL!

"I'm sure our workshop can sort this out for you"

They send the courier to collect and specify "the packaging will need
    to offer equal or better protection than the original did if the
    original is no longer available".
    Better protection?

No discount offer, no refund option, just a repaired guitar at full price. Nope, i'm going to ask for a full-fledged refund.

15. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Yep refund. Those pics look like a return where someone had had a go at setting it up, cocked it up and returned it.

ChickenKiller, Fenderrrr and gwjensen like this.
  16. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I think so.... Hard to believe it would leave the factory like that...

17. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver TDPRI Member

I would rant back at that, that’s shoddy service mate, is it GAK? If so I would expect better.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  18. allesz

allesz Tele-Meister

It seems that the guitar was set up by a right handed guy: the strings height is simply inverted, with lower basses and higher high strings.

The same with the selector.

Both this problems would be an easy fix with just a screwdriver and an allen key.

The missing screw it's the worst: if you can find it in the package it's ok, but it's not easy to have the right screw for the job (and the saddle may have the thread stripped). In normal times it would be a 5 minutes thing.

It would drive me mad.

19. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

No! Show pics to seller, and return.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think this guitar was shipped from Mexico with the bent steel saddles on it, and later someone was tasked with replacing those bent steels with these block saddles and that person (a righty or at least a non player) just didn't care. Who cares about these Lefty people, they figured. I'll bet the strings are just slammed on there.

I'm apprehensive about trying to return it in this current situation. A bird in the hand. If you don't know much about guitar set up, get someone to help with a rudimentary setup and see if the guitar "has it". If it does, keep it and use local resources to inexpensively get it right. If this guitar is meh anyway, then by all means return it - they can hardly complain that you had no cause. By all means let us know if they refuse to provide you with a prepaid shipping label.

gwjensen and Fenderrrr like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.