New Tele. Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fenderrrr, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Fenderrrr

Fenderrrr TDPRI Member

Hi all, first post on the forum, although i've read quite a lot around here.

I just got a lefty 2019 Telecaster Player series, bought new from one of the biggest and most reputable online stores in the UK.

Guitar is really beautiful as expected, but i've noticed a couple issues. It has the pickup selector switch upside down, meaning it has the neck pickup on the left and the bridge on the right.

But the major flaw is possibly on the bridge. It is missing a screw and, more important the saddles look to be on the right side, Is it normal, since it is the modern bridge i have on a Tele.

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lefty Addams likes this.
  2. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

The missing screw saddle screw is not normal. Not sure what you mean about the pickup switch, but up pointing toward the neck pickup should be the neck pickup on only. Middle position should be both pickups on and down toward the bridge should be the bridge pickup on only. Also, it is a preference on your part, but each saddle should be level, not slanted like your picture. They don't have to be level, but a lot of people like them to be.

3. Fenderrrr

Fenderrrr TDPRI Member

Hi thanks for the reply. The selector awitch is inverted in the sense that on the left you get the neck, and on the right you get the bridge.

But i can live with that. The bridge is not ok, and that's what i'm pissed the most about

JM99 and nojazzhere like this.
  4. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

the saddles should be in that shape so that they are the same shape as the curvature of the fretboard-just to make sure you understand what lammie200 is saying. So each individual one can be flatter but they should be the approximate shape they are now. Yes you need a new screw though. Are you saying if the pickup switch is pointed forward-toward the neck of the guitar that it works the bridge pickup? if so that is backwards and really odd on a new guitar

radiocaster, nojazzhere and Fenderrrr like this.
  5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

No, not normal.

Pull the B saddle spring out and put it in a safe place before it falls out on its own, and search the box and packing material for the missing screw.

Each saddle's top should be parallel to the surface of the bridge plate. You can adjust them yourself with the small Allen key that should have been provided.

If the wires inside are long enough, you may be able to simply turn the switch around.

But contact the retailer before you do anything. The guitar never should have been shipped in that condition.

6. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I'd send it back. Either the QC folks were drunk or this isn't a new guitar and someone's been fooling with it. What else might turn up? At least get a big discount...

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The way the saddles tilt to right is a no-no. Whomever set that thing up was clueless. The switch is a minor fix which you could fix right at home, but why should you have to deal with that on a brand new guitar? I’ve never seen any Fender, whether US, Mexican, or Asian come in the door that wrong. I would complain to the retailer big time.

8. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

...and welcome to the forum!
    By the way - if it came in a case or gig bag, have a careful look in there for a missing screw. Sometimes things get shaken off in transit.
    Otherwise an email to your seller should get you a replacement

Fenderrrr likes this.
  9. dngrsdave

dngrsdave Tele-Meister

Just adjust those set screws in each saddle so they maintain the curve of the neck, but are each level to the Bridge plate.
    And Exactly as Luther Burger suggests, Don't lose that spring before you find or replace that screw.

howardlo, nojazzhere and Fenderrrr like this.
  10. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

Hey Y'all - Welcome and I would call the dealer immediately you really don't know what else will crop up over the next few months etc.

Switchy, gwjensen and Fenderrrr like this.
  11. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Welcome Fenderrrr! :cool:

Fenderrrr likes this.
  12. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Time for a return.

Switchy and Fenderrrr like this.
  13. Fenderrrr

Fenderrrr TDPRI Member

Hi all! Thanks for the advices. I'm going to contact the dealer.. I hate to be that guy but unless they offer a discount this guitar is going back. It is beautiful but the number of issues makes me think of a "friday afternoon" guitar. :eek:

14. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Talk to the retailer and ask them to remedy the situation if you like the guitar other than the minor inconveniences you mention, or send it back and get another if they have another of the same color in stock. But, you're in London, which must have plenty of Fender dealers. Why did you buy online onstead of trying beforehand at a local shop?

Mikesk and Fenderrrr like this.
  15. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

Welcome aboard...if I received a new guitar in that condition I’d return it, or negotiate a discount that I would be happy with. Just my two cents.

nojazzhere, gwjensen and Fenderrrr like this.
  16. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Haha! If you think that you got a "Friday afternoon" guitar wait until guitars and practically everything else start to show up when they were manufactured or assembled right around the time that this current shut down started, or when things will start up again. I imagine that quality control will suffer on practically everything.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, bring it back. Odd that they let it out the door with at least three boo-boos.

Fenderrrr likes this.
  18. Fenderrrr

Fenderrrr TDPRI Member

I've just noticed this was the last one they had in stock, now they are on preorder. It really seems i've got the end of the barrel.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  19. Fenderrrr

Fenderrrr TDPRI Member

Yeah, i agree. I can only imagine the quality control on those other brands, set-in neck guitars, as well! :lol:

20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

And...if I might offer a little suggestion, or request......when referring to anything like a switch or bridge, especially on a lefty, don't use the terms "left or right".....it can be confusing. Say, "toward the neck" or toward the guitar's butt" or something like that. I prefer people not even say "first string", because there's "sometimes" disagreement on which one that is......say "high E or low E" or whatever fits.
    Anyway....welcome and good luck.

Slap Axe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.