New Tele builds: Cuban Mahogany and Guanacaste (Parota)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by theprofessor, Aug 25, 2019.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Thanks! I'm loving mine so far!

Yes, routing with a template is not too difficult. I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me that the most important things are to align the guitar properly with the center-line on the template, to attach the template firmly to the body, and to route just a bit at a time. It helps to hog out the spaces with forstner bits and then go back over it with the router. I don't like routers, though. They're moving tremendously fast and can do major damage with a minor slip. At least it seems to me. But I don't know how else to do it. Routers are a must.

2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

Thank you sir. How do they sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. theprofessor

Well that's the most important part, right? I don't know about the Guanacaste yet, but this Cuban Mahogany Tele is the best-sounding Tele I have. It may be the best I've ever played.

I don't know what to attribute these things to, but I'd gander that it has a whole lot to do with the Tyson Tone Labs 53 Wraptail P-90 in the neck position, which bypasses the tone control. Just straight pickup. I have never played such a responsive and touch-sensitive guitar. It feels almost like there's nothing between your fingers and the amp. And the smoothness of the roasted maple neck and the stainless steel frets helps a lot in that respect.

jimilee likes this.
  4. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations man, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theprofessor likes this.
  5. theprofessor

So here's the fun part:

This is the best-sounding Tele I have. My buddy, who I play with rather frequently, told me in no uncertain terms today: "That thing sounds way better than the other Teles you usually play." I cannot disagree.

Here are the specs:

• Cuban mahogany T-style sandwiched body
    • Weight: 8 lbs, 5.6 oz
    • Warmoth 7.25" radius roasted maple neck with vintage-style Gotoh tuners
    • Boatneck profile
    • 6105 stainless steel frets
    • unbleached bone nut
    • Neck pickup: Tyson Tone 53 Wraptail Low-Wind P-90, measures 7.3k
    • Bridge pickup: currently a '64 Pure Vintage Fender pickup, measuring 6.1k. This is not the right pickup for this guitar, so I've got a Cavalier 51/52 Lion on the way. It should measure about 7.8k. A3 mags.
    • Neck pickup bypasses the tone control
    • Volume 250k, Tone 250k
    • .033uF tone capacitor
    • Electrosocket jack
    • Rutters straight compensated brass saddles
    • Fender vintage-style bridge plate

6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

The Cuban Mahogany is certainly beautiful, but that Guanacaste really "sings" to me! Both are great builds and I thank you for sharing them with us.

theprofessor likes this.
  7. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

Beautiful work! Nicely done!

theprofessor likes this.
  8. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

That is beautiful! The specs on your roasted neck is one of my dream specs as well!!

theprofessor likes this.
  9. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Very VERY nice!

theprofessor likes this.
  10. theprofessor

Guanacaste Tele now has 8-32 neck inserts, and the neck is mounted with oval-head Phillips machine screws. Now to get that hardware relic'ed...
    IMG_20190825_221827893.jpg IMG_20190825_221838249.jpg

11. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Both teles look fantastic. Well done, Professor.

theprofessor likes this.
  12. theprofessor

A couple more shots in the late afternoon light. I ended up revisiting the neck pocket, thinking I might be able to get the neck joint a little bit tighter around the neck (especially top-side near the upper bout). I found a very small routing imperfect -- a tiny nib that was keeping the neck from flushing up to the sides of the neck rout as smoothly as it should. I carefully sanded that out, using a couple of small Dremel attachments (pictured below). The stone one on the left worked best, and now I have a better neck fit than I did before. I'm now happy enough with it to leave it the heck alone.

The strings are slightly closer to the edge of the fretboard on the bass side (especially higher up on the neck) than the treble side. I've found this to work well. Since the fretting hand approaches from the treble-side of the neck, and since one doesn't use the bass strings as much as one moves higher up the neck (at least most people don't), I put more space where the strings do get used higher up the neck and on the side that might have the most tendency to get pulled off the fretboard -- the treble strings. One has to be especially cognizant of this with a 7.25"-radiused fretboard like this one.

IMG_1621.JPG IMG_1622.JPG IMG_1623.JPG IMG_1624.JPG

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    zippofan, Skydog1010 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  13. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I love this one!!!

theprofessor likes this.
  14. Free Jazz

Free Jazz TDPRI Member

I just can't imagine the Tone from that lovely Guanacaste build. It resides in that exalted Higher Telecaster Realm; a dimension where this profound and timeless Musical Appliance looks like a meal on a feast platter. It's sonically "culinary" and it affects me, physically. If it had more sections of that white buttercream nougat, I'd be beside myself with no regard for social decorum. I'd congratulate the protagonists, and will do so once I recover my senses. But this is dangerously close to a Jones.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  15. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

Wonderful guitars, and great photography, too! Bravo

theprofessor likes this.
  16. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

This is so pretty!

You can unscrew it a little, and nudge the neck to get it aligned on both Low and High E strings.. I only experience rolling off the fretboard if the guitar is new to me and I have not adjusted to it.. otherwise I have no problem with strings close to the edges.

theprofessor likes this.
  17. theprofessor

Update on the Guanacaste Tele. We finally got to put everything together last night. All we have left is to cut the nut-slot depth, adjust the relief at the neck, set the action, and get the pickup height dialed in. Pickups are Cavalier Lion King neck and Cavalier Nashville bridge.

The finish in the guitar turned out great. A very nice satin, almost matte, finish. Very natural looking. And the neck is quartersawn roasted maple with beautiful grain and no finish. Staggered tuners means that we didn't have to drill into the face of the headstock for a string tree.

The Rutters straight comp brass saddles turned out GREAT after the acid-fumes treatment.

IMG_20191025_194142124.jpg IMG_20191025_221058501.jpg IMG_20191025_221105954.jpg

Mat UK and brandonh like this.
  18. theprofessor

The case is an Allen Eden teardrop case (EC-265). I had never seen one of those before, and I really, really like it.

IMG_20191025_221111927.jpg IMG_20191025_221125470.jpg IMG_20191025_221133794.jpg

brandonh and Jim_in_PA like this.
  19. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Both instruments are looking great! And yea...that case is very kewel.

theprofessor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.