A friend of mine is a woodworker by trade, and he plays the acoustic guitar. He's been wanting a Telecaster, and I started off our venture together by giving him a roasted maple Tele neck I had. So he decided it was time to build a body. I served as a kind of apprentice and advisor, since I have put together a couple of partscasters and have an idea of how things to together. So we used his home shop and his shop at work, along with wood he already had on racks, to build the both of us two Telecasters (of course I had to build one too!). Here's a pic of the shop behind his house where we did a lot of the work. We ended up building three T-type bodies so far: (1) a two-piece poplar body that served as a practice body (which is very helpful, by the way, if you can find some wood to practice on). (2) a T-type made from Guanacaste (parota) which is his and (3) a T-type made of Cuban mahogany that he inherited. It made its way here before the embargo during the Kennedy administration, and he's been waiting for something special to make with it. He was kind enough to let me make a Tele out of it. We ordered a template from ebay, which seemed to work fine, and we made some copies in MDF as well. I'm not convinced that everything is perfect on the template we used, but it is quite good. It could be that the fact that my neck pocket isn't perfect, for example, is user error. I decided that a few things could be very slightly deeper than spec, such as the route for the bridge pickup. I think we went a full 1" there, where 7/8" is spec. And we made the wire holes to the control cavity one size bigger as well. I am often annoyed when all the wires from grounding the bridge plate and the shielding and the bridge pickup get jammed up and can't make their way easily to the control cavity. That happens especially when there is a separate ground that is not grounded directly to the back of a copper base plate on the bridge pickup, which means there are four wires trying to go through that hole: two from the ends of the pickup windings, one separate ground wire from the pickup, and one from the shielding/bridge. Here are the templates we used. It was confusing at first, since the back template is facing in such a way that would lead one to trace out the body backwards. So we flipped that over when we made our MDF copies. Here's one of the MDF copies.