New Tele Build-wiring ?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Strat62, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I'm embarking on a new Tele build of my own configuration this time(my last was a 72 Deluxe clone). This one will be a 3 pickup configuration; a GFS Crunchy Pat HO neck Humbucker in the neck position, a GFS Tele vintage wound neck pickup in the center position and a GFS Hot Lead overwound bridge pickup. I'll run this with a single volume knob and 2 tone pots(an extra installed in the Tele control plate) and a Strat style 5-position switch. I'll wire like a typical Strat, and my question concerns where to install the cap(s)? and what values, considering the pups I'm using? Also, which pickup to leave open, no tone control? Thanks!:cool:

2. Joe Gioielli

Joe Gioielli TDPRI Member

Well, the caps are going to go on the tone pots. Check out the website (1728.com) for placement. As for the values, that is a matter or personal taste. Basic idea is that the higher the value, the more of the high end will get bled off. thus a .47 will create a deeper tone than a .33 as it will bleed off more high end. Personally, unless it is a big difference (like the .47) I never hear much difference.

Not that you asked, but I thought I would give my thoughts on the switching. As I hate the 3 and 5 way switch, I have switched over to toggle switches. On that web site you will see how to set up two pups in series, parallel, on off, off on. I wire the neck and bridge pups together and leave the center on an independant on/off switch. So you end up with... See page Five of the wesite.

BMN -- BN Parallel
    BMN -- BN Series
    BM
    MN
    B
    M
    N

I hope that correct. It's kind of late. :)

Best wishes for your build.

Joe

3. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the info and the link!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.