New Tele - Advice?

LovinTheTwang

TDPRI Member
Hi Folks

First post here though I've been reading for a good while now. I'm no spring chicken, though not quite over the hill (if it exists)...been playing the better part of 4 decades and have lots of guitars in the collection - varied from old Strats (90's Fender MIJ, 00's Fender MN), lots of kits and partscasters and even a Gibson LP :-O (still love my LP...always) with a handful of teles I either built or modded, using kits and parts...none are perfect though and I conclude I need a nice Fender Tele to finish the collection for now.

I no longer gravitate towards heavy rock and such like and I am loving my teles ever more. I find myself now looking to knock out some decent country/modern country/southern rock influenced tunes having thrown off the genre shackles of youth and now just make music I like. It works well and I have every tone largely covered guitar wise. Except, a genuine and reliable Tele. Hence my current hunt for a Tele...and this post!

Money is a thing though Im old(er) than I once was and can spring up to a US Pro - cant spring any higher than that tho. Looking for vintage tone, lots of the classic twang (I know lots comes from me and Im good with that) but I guess the purpose of this to be clear - I dont want or need any heavy tones or lifeless pickups and I dont swap em out either. Just wnat a great out the box machine that will give me all the above and keen to hear your experience as owners and players of the same. NB I think Ive ruled out noiseless and I think (on account of more grunt) ruled out Twisted Tele models? Happy to be persuaded otherwise though as a 75th Anniv in 2 tone bourbon looks lovely to my eyes!! :)

Any input most welcome...based on current models available today.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Are you going to be able to try out guitars? It's always good to check out options in person, especially if you're planning to spend a lot of money.

Are you open to used? While selection and price isn't what it was 2-3 years ago, there are still deals to be had.

Of the new models, the Vintera 50s sounds closest to what you're looking for without getting into the budget buster range.

What kind of amp/effects are you playing through? That might also affect your choice.

LovinTheTwang

TDPRI Member
Are you going to be able to try out guitars? It's always good to check out options in person, especially if you're planning to spend a lot of money.

Are you open to used? While selection and price isn't what it was 2-3 years ago, there are still deals to be had.

Of the new models, the Vintera 50s sounds closest to what you're looking for without getting into the budget buster range.

What kind of amp/effects are you playing through? That might also affect your choice.
Thanks for your quick response there :) Yeah, Ill absolutely be giving them a bash but with every model not in the store, Ill probably have some limits on what I can try. Ive got around 30 guitars though and no concerns with giving up some time to try a good few.

I largely use my guitars out with the amp (I have a Marshall TSL122) but rarely use it...mostly recording straight into Logic or jamming on a small Line 6 or the iPad to be honest. So, tonally, Im largely sorted using virtual amps (albeit with a 'real' Marshall...its a beast though and an all valve 100W monster I rarely break out these days). Not much effects beyond reverb and a touch of delay.

Thanks for your feedback too. Its appreciated

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
Hi Folks

First post here though I've been reading for a good while now. I'm no spring chicken, though not quite over the hill (if it exists)...been playing the better part of 4 decades and have lots of guitars in the collection - varied from old Strats (90's Fender MIJ, 00's Fender MN), lots of kits and partscasters and even a Gibson LP :-O (still love my LP...always) with a handful of teles I either built or modded, using kits and parts...none are perfect though and I conclude I need a nice Fender Tele to finish the collection for now.

I no longer gravitate towards heavy rock and such like and I am loving my teles ever more. I find myself now looking to knock out some decent country/modern country/southern rock influenced tunes having thrown off the genre shackles of youth and now just make music I like. It works well and I have every tone largely covered guitar wise. Except, a genuine and reliable Tele. Hence my current hunt for a Tele...and this post!

Money is a thing though Im old(er) than I once was and can spring up to a US Pro - cant spring any higher than that tho. Looking for vintage tone, lots of the classic twang (I know lots comes from me and Im good with that) but I guess the purpose of this to be clear - I dont want or need any heavy tones or lifeless pickups and I dont swap em out either. Just wnat a great out the box machine that will give me all the above and keen to hear your experience as owners and players of the same. NB I think Ive ruled out noiseless and I think (on account of more grunt) ruled out Twisted Tele models? Happy to be persuaded otherwise though as a 75th Anniv in 2 tone bourbon looks lovely to my eyes!! :)

Any input most welcome...based on current models available today.
An American Pro II, bought last summer, my first Tele and first American Fender. I am pretty happy with it.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't know what an AM Pro goes for, around you, but if you are opened to used market then I would look for a gently used AV telecaster, or an AVRI eventually.

If you want a new guitar, go out and try the Vintera 50s, you will love it.

LovinTheTwang

TDPRI Member
An American Pro II, bought last summer, my first Tele and first American Fender. I am pretty happy with it
I do like the AM Pro's. Look nice and to be honest, would likely cover what I need. I wont gig with it. I wont do anything beyond recording with it though so I was looking to see if I can get similar/close or whatever for a bit less but, I'd not rule it out as sound is the number one priority for this one. Thanks for feedback on yours.
I don't know what an AM Pro goes for, around you, but if you are opened to used market then I would look for a gently used AV telecaster, or an AVRI eventually.

If you want a new guitar, go out and try the Vintera 50s, you will love it.
AM Pro is about £1500 notes just now, nice maple neck and some nice colours. Trying to go new as it'll be a keeper and where I drop a load of cash on a guitar, I tend to get a new one and just keep it but thats good to know. I've not tried the Vintera and had largely stopped looking sub £1k-ish. I'd been avoiding the noiseless pickups in the player pro and I already have teles that are a bit shrill sounding. You reckon the Vintera pups are decent then? Ill take a wee listen and see what's what. Those are about half an AM Pro round here cost wise.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
I do like the AM Pro's. Look nice and to be honest, would likely cover what I need. I wont gig with it. I wont do anything beyond recording with it though so I was looking to see if I can get similar/close or whatever for a bit less but, I'd not rule it out as sound is the number one priority for this one. Thanks for feedback on yours.

AM Pro is about £1500 notes just now, nice maple neck and some nice colours. Trying to go new as it'll be a keeper and where I drop a load of cash on a guitar, I tend to get a new one and just keep it but thats good to know. I've not tried the Vintera and had largely stopped looking sub £1k-ish. I'd been avoiding the noiseless pickups in the player pro and I already have teles that are a bit shrill sounding. You reckon the Vintera pups are decent then? Ill take a wee listen and see what's what. Those are about half an AM Pro round here cost wise.

I've actually played a 50s vintera just once and I can tell you it was glorious. Very decent pickups but what really got me was the neck, a very nice U shape. Playability was spot on and I guess you can always have the pickups replaced and still puy a good amount of money back into your pocket, if your budget is 1500.

As always, try before buyinf if you can.
I suggested the vintera or the used AV as you were talking about a vintage style telecaster and to me these are the best options. The AM Pro is a little bit more modern, but nothing against it if you like it. Enjoy the haunt!

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
I think your best bet is to go to a store and try out a few different ones. You might like a certain neck profile, or fingerboard radius, finish, etc more than others. There's a lot out there that will fit the bill of what you've described.

Eddiebaby1

Tele-Meister
Am Pro II Tele and Strat for me both in Miami Blue / Maple.
Love both. Although the Strat love is diminished since the Tele arrived.

destroyerrock

TDPRI Member
Ever tried seymour duncan antiquity pickups? I love em, try some in an ash bodied tele with an allparts smo fat neck. Not a fender, but a lot cheaper and really gets that early 50s tele vibe.

LovinTheTwang

TDPRI Member
I've actually played a 50s vintera just once and I can tell you it was glorious. Very decent pickups but what really got me was the neck, a very nice U shape. Playability was spot on and I guess you can always have the pickups replaced and still puy a good amount of money back into your pocket, if your budget is 1500.

As always, try before buyinf if you can.
I suggested the vintera or the used AV as you were talking about a vintage style telecaster and to me these are the best options. The AM Pro is a little bit more modern, but nothing against it if you like it. Enjoy the haunt!
Thanks Mimmo. Exactly the type of info I was after with someone trying the guitars they recommended. I'm ideally looking for an out the box axe. What I'll do is try a few (wont get to try them all due to time and stock at the local store) and then go online and buy the one Im after at the best price :) I bought a LP Classic from the store having tried 5 models that day and mine was the best (not much in it but enough) - I wont have that luxury but when I can narrow down to a particular model, Ill hopefully land a good un. Distance selling means if I really get a dud, I can always send it back though having played Fenders from the off, Ive been lucky not to get a dud so far, albeit not any F Tele's. Strats all serving me well though (Y) Thnaks for feedback.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks Mimmo. Exactly the type of info I was after with someone trying the guitars they recommended. I'm ideally looking for an out the box axe. What I'll do is try a few (wont get to try them all due to time and stock at the local store) and then go online and buy the one Im after at the best price :) I bought a LP Classic from the store having tried 5 models that day and mine was the best (not much in it but enough) - I wont have that luxury but when I can narrow down to a particular model, Ill hopefully land a good un. Distance selling means if I really get a dud, I can always send it back though having played Fenders from the off, Ive been lucky not to get a dud so far, albeit not any F Tele's. Strats all serving me well though (Y) Thnaks for feedback.

Happy to be of some help, sir.

If I can add to what you said, if you try some teles in the store and you find one that really speaks to you, BUY IT. Even if it means more money, a great telecaster will always haunt you if you let it go.

Ask how I know...

Looking forward to seeing a few pics of your new telecaster!

LovinTheTwang

TDPRI Member
Happy to be of some help, sir.

If I can add to what you said, if you try some teles in the store and you find one that really speaks to you, BUY IT. Even if it means more money, a great telecaster will always haunt you if you let it go.

Ask how I know...

Looking forward to seeing a few pics of your new telecaster!
Its a good point well made. Actually, the chances of me NOT leaving with the ultimate guitar are probably remote but I at least need to pretend to wear the sensible hat in case the wife ever happens over this forum post :) That said, if she happens across the other 30+ guitars I have stuffed around the house, Im already dead anyway :p cheers.
On a similar note, Im hanging on the teles I do have; some are projects and need work but none will likely give me what I need. But, I cannot part with a guitar. Even ones Ill probably rarely/never play again.

Ask me how I know that :p (I sold one, once...never again). I considered setting up a guitar rescue centre, offering homes to old and beaten / maltreated guitars but thats kinda why I have so many and hiding holes are becoming harder to find nowadays!

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm with @mimmo on this the Vintera 50s is a cracking Tele, I've got the sonic blue, not a colour for everyone, but a black guard makes it look the part. The pickups are pretty beefy too, although it took me a little while to get back into playing a thicker neck.

LovinTheTwang

TDPRI Member
Thanks folks. I am going into the store to try a few and have also spotted a lovely 2 tone bourbon burst 75th Anniversary edition...wow mann, that is a lovely looking machine! I'll be owning a tele imminently :) Thanks for your help folks. Appreciate the input.

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
If you really want an American Tele for studio use in country music, and that needs nothing “out of the box”, you might consider the model made for exactly this scenario. It’s the Brent Mason Signature model. I have one and love it. There is no country tone, modern or classic, that it can’t get in spades. And with no noise! It’s a recording dream guitar. Plus, you get the Glaser B-bender, which is extremely fun and useful. It’s not cheap, but a great value for all you get. And, if it’s good enough for Brent Mason ………., well, you know.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks for your quick response there :) Yeah, Ill absolutely be giving them a bash but with every model not in the store, Ill probably have some limits on what I can try. Ive got around 30 guitars though and no concerns with giving up some time to try a good few.

I largely use my guitars out with the amp (I have a Marshall TSL122) but rarely use it...mostly recording straight into Logic or jamming on a small Line 6 or the iPad to be honest. So, tonally, Im largely sorted using virtual amps (albeit with a 'real' Marshall...its a beast though and an all valve 100W monster I rarely break out these days). Not much effects beyond reverb and a touch of delay.

Thanks for your feedback too. Its appreciated
Where are you in the UK? When I was looking for a black AmPro it took a long time to track one down. All shops eeem light on stock at the mo’. I’ve got nothing but praise for my AmPro ll now I have it.

JP22

Tele-Meister
From all that you say, I imagine the 50s vintera would be quite a good fit?

That said, the 50s baseball bat neck is a little big for my hands, so I have a 50s vintera modified Tele which came with Custom Shop Vintage Style (bridge) and Custom Shop Twisted Tele on the neck (I know that you ruled out twisted Tele pickups though).
It’s around £800/£900 just now.

It’s a lovely Tele though, looks, sounds and plays perfectly.