New take on Case Stench

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jackal, May 29, 2019.

1. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Not sure if this goes on this forum, but here goes. Some cases have that chemical scent and there are many suggestions as how to clear it up. I bought a used case on-line that had a terrible stench. Tried airing it out, sunshine, frebreze with no help. I partially closed it, suspended one of those automotive de-oderizers, being careful to not allow physical contact, left it over night, and the stench is gone. In fact it has a very nice cherry smell to it. Works for me.

Treadplatedual, getbent and RodeoTex like this.
  2. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

i prefer the pine tree myself.

preactor likes this.
  3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

Not sure which chemical scent you mean, but if you’re talking about that vanilla/banana smell that USA Gibsons all have, I’ll take that over cherry anytime.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

5. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Cocoa butter? LOL.

No, he means the "Sweat and tears of Eastern Asian desperation" smell that a lot of cases have- it's very sharp/pungent and definitely something worth replacing with a car air freshener.

OP, thanks for the tip, I have a couple I can't quite get rid of that smell on, I'll try this next.

6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

In the deodorizing industry we use various scents to mask different odors. Cherry is one that is often used on bad organic odors as it is both strong and lasting. The problem is that you will have to keep treating with cherry or the odor will come back as the cause was never eliminated in the first place. You could certainly try using an ozone machine to shock the interior, it has to be strong enough to provide a shock level though. Max-Blaster makes a very good and reliable unit and you may also be able to rent one at your local equipment rental place.

Another great odor remover is coffee. Just pour some unused ground coffee into a nylon sock and leave it in the case. It will absorb odors and mask better than just about anything. Just ask the drug smugglers, they often pack their dope in a bed of coffee.

LutherBurger, Deathray and getbent like this.
  7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Anybody got anything to kill smoke smell? I've got this SG Junior...

[​IMG]

I got it in a trade for a Strat, and it's an amazing little guitar. But it was in a house fire, just close enough to the flames to bubble up the nitro and put a hurtin' in the headstock.

[​IMG]

I've had it for three years, and every time I crack open the case it smells like a doused campfire.

Plays great, just a lil' stanky.

- D

8. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Charcoal. Bust up a couple of briquets and put them in some cheese cloth.

Fiesta Red and StrangerNY like this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Pipe tobacco—whatever scent you like. Sprinkle it liberally in the case, close it up and walk away for 4-5 days. Open it up, vacuum it out, and the smell will be 99% gone, usually for good.

This works for cigarette smoke in cars, too.

10. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Bounce sheets.lots of them. You'll probably regret not just enjoying the chemical smell, but they'll change it.

I once had a pair of shoes I really liked, but they stopped making. While on vacation, my wife complained when I stopped to take them off, so they got submerged in salt water. They subsequently got bagged up for BC a week or so, and they stank and the brass grommets were turning green, and the leather was stiff. Scrubbed, leather conditioned. Still stiff n stank. I got the grommets brass again though.
    I tried baby powder. Nope. The carpet shake out powder scented stuff. Nope.

I vacuumed them out, dumped a box of baking soda in each, popped em in ziplock bags n left them. That wicked away the stench enough to leave them out, but not all the way.

So I stuffed them with lots of bounce sheets, sealed em up, forgot them for a month.

Had to use more baking soda before I could wear them without getting a headache. This was in 2012. (Mink oil fixed the leather, btw)

TBH,

If I could make my tele case smell like my toronado case, and my toronado case as durable as my tele case, I'd be happier.

So; charcoal, baking soda. Seal and wait a few days.

Stuff with bounce sheets of you need it masked more.

I once joked about using coffee beans ground up and shook into loose pipe tobacco to re-scent a gig bag.
    You could also take up Cigar smoking and smoke cinnamon flavored ones. Make it smell like Christmas. Lastly, I used to use a liquid potpourri sconce to make the lining of a leather jacket smell like pumpkin spice. Not sure if it would work on a case though.

11. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

That aint nothing. I have an old 65 Baldwin/Burns Split Sound Jazz that came in its original case. Don't know if your familiar with vintage British cars but lets just say they're interiors have a certain smell to them one might find offending. Others will pay big money for it, Lets just say I put the guitar in another case while its in rotation. Comes time to sell it I got its case if its vintage British aroma you seek.

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Another great band name!

13. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

To which are you referring? Vintage British Aroma? Or??????

Just Curious?
    Gene

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Case Stench, or Stench Case!

beagle likes this.
  15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

"Every case has one" - line from Guitar Repo Man

But in all seriousness, plastics & foams hold odor until it is replaced by a stronger masking odor, as you demonstrated. Ask your plastic food storage containers how that works lol.

16. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

TSP or even peroxide will do it, but test it on the finish first to make certain that it doesn't affect it first. In smoke damage homes I normally washed the walls with warm water and non-chlorinated pool clarifier (peroxide) or TSP. Never had a call back. Neither one ever damaged a painted wall, but test it first in a conrer or something on the guitar first.

StrangerNY likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Leave a bunch of bananas in the case for a couple weeks. When you next open it the smell will be gone and replaced with the stench of over ripe bananas. Then google how to remove banana smells from guitar case. Sooner or later something will fix it.

Best bet would be to leave it open in the sun for a extended period of time. Weeks.

StrangerNY likes this.
  18. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Do you mean that you have a guitar case that smells like a Triumph Herald? Cool!

19. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Hmm. Never really bothered me. And I'm very sensitive to noxious smells. I guess I just react to it as a signal that I'm about to play. It's amazing what the body can withstand when base survival needs are on the line.

Now, my tool boxes without fail smell like barf. Has been that way since I was a kid. It's not the boxes, but the tools. Granted, some are very old tools. But it doesn't matter how many old tools get swapped out, or if I clean or change boxes. It always comes back. How much it bothers me tends to depend on why I'm getting at my tools. For fun projects, it's no big deal. For house repairs it's sickening. I don't recall ever actually barfing on my tools and then leaving them in the closed box, but maybe it would make sense if I did. Crazy world.

20. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

interesting. ive got a fender case that picked up a mildew smell somewhere and I can't seem to fix it by just airing out in the summer sun. can't wait to try some of these tricks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.