1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Superchamp X2 or 2008ish Blue Jr?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by garciawork, Oct 12, 2020.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I owned a BJR for years and never liked it. Boxy, farty, thin, muddy etc. -- all kinds of negative adjectives no matter which way I turned the settings. I bought it new when I was young and thought I had to have a tube amp. I kept it because I didn't think I'd get much for it in a trade towards a better amp. A few years ago, I bought a used PRRI and out went the BJR. No regrets.

That being said, I did try out the SCX2 at a local jam (while I still owned the BJR) and really liked the clean channel. A while later, I tried one out at a local store and almost bought it as a knockabout amp for jams, except I already had the PRRI and a Peavey Bandit.

Long story short, I'd go with the SCX2 over the BJR myself.

2. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I agree. I did a speaker change when I owned a BJR but when that didn't make much of a difference, I realized it could quickly become a money pit. If modding/improving amps is your thing, then it might be worth it. I just wanted it to make sounds that I liked at gigs, jams, sessions, etc.

3. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

The VHT 12/20 is a fantastic option for Fender tone on the cheap. Those are truly in the neighborhood of a Deluxe right out of the box. It's not quite "hand wired" or "point to point" even though I've seen it called both, but still far more repairable or mod-able than an average PCB amps. Brilliant for what they cost, though I wish as easy to find as the Special 6 which is also good but much smaller.

I've been auditioning amps for 20+ years now and have owned an embarrassing number of Blues Juniors (three that I can remember, two on purpose) considering I'm certain they suck hard. This is subjective preference and my experience/opinion only, others like and can work with them and they're not wrong. But I think they're not real Fender-y at all, neither tweedy nor BF/SF, run EL84s and too hard, are built too cheap and too heavy, and they're $600 now which is ridiculous. That money can get you into a vintage amp, or a clean reissue/clone, with real... ahem, traditional... construction.

Randypttt likes this.
  4. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I've got three in that price range. My entirely subjective opinion is.....

Good
    [​IMG]

Better
    [​IMG]

Best
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.