1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Superchamp X2 or 2008ish Blue Jr?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by garciawork, Oct 12, 2020.

1. garciawork

garciawork TDPRI Member

Hey all, I have been back at playing guitar at church, and would really like to go back to an amp and dedicated pedals rather than my Tech21 RK-5, so I have been going mad researching amps the last few weeks. I am partial to fender, and would prefer to keep the amp around $400. Well, that leaves the superchamp, or a local blues jr that just popped up on my local craigslist.

My plan is to pick up a few pedals to run through either one: an OD, delay, maybe chorus/vibrato, and that is about it. No hardcore distortion or fuzz likely in my future, not really my style. On the SCX2, I would likely only be using the clean channel, and on the Blues Jr, well that is all it has.

Is there anything really better about older blue jr's? Is there anything glaringly obvious that should point me at one of these over the other?

stepvan likes this.
  2. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

I don’t have much experience with the SCx2, I have kicked the idea of getting one around though because I’ve really liked them every time I’ve played one.

To me the Blues Jr sounds great at low volumes but kinda boxy when you start to turn it up. If you’re micing the amp at church that shouldn’t be a problem.

My normal advice would be to go play a bunch, but that’s not really easy to do at the moment.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

20 years using a blues Junior and I love it
    I also really like the Super Champ XD
    Versatile!

But the two amps do not sound like each other

The Super Champ XD clean Channel really does give you that black face silver face clean, and honestly the blues Junior has its own clean going on with more mid-range. It's kind of a mutt between a Tweed amp and a Vox- but maybe not as good as either!
    so that's something to think about if you plan on using the clean channel for a clean sound from either amp

I happen to use a blues Junior with a boss Blues driver on all the time with kind of wakes my amp up as a little bit of presence and it has a great Overdrive
    - I just learned how to work these two things together to produce a pretty good sound that I control just with my guitar volume knob.

but but that's just me,
    They're both 15 watt amp but I think the blues Junior puts out more volume and it has a 12-inch speaker but they are different amps I like both of them
    Sorry for the stream-of-consciousness voice activation

4. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've owned both and prefer the SCX2. The Jr. didn't have much sound for a Fender imho. When the XD came out the Jr went. I got the X2 when they first came out and never looked back.

Since ridding myself of the Jr there's been all sorts of threads about that amp. The most distinctive thread, or threads, concerned this guy that basically wrote the book on the Jr and how to make it a great amp.
    More than just tubes, he pretty much gutted the thing and made it sound like it's no big deal to spend at least as much for the mods as you do for the amp.

I figured if you bought a Hot Rod Deluxe you could call it even. I know that all sounds harsh and a bit snarky but I've been reading these threads for years and it's always the same; rip out the trans, use these tubes not those tubes, resistors should be this value blah blah..
    Only those guys that build Tweeds or Blackfaces from scratch ever talk in those terms.
    It doesn't speak well for an amp if you have to go thru that. But I know a lotta people like the Jr. This is just my opinion.

You might ask why I bought one in the first place. It was my first tube amp since I was 20. I'm no where near 20 now.

The SC has a line out so if you need more sound you could cable to the PA and still sound good. I actually bought the head and use my own cab with a 12" spk. Which is another solution even with the combo. Sounds excellent to me.

Good luck

kookaburra, srblue5 and Daytona.57 like this.
  5. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I would go with the Blues Jr, I had one and it was a great amp. Be likely perfect for worship. I you need more out of it you can always mic it up

6. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Good ideas here. Besides the subjective 'would I like it' thing, it does seem like the SCX2 is a more versatile amp that maybe gets more overall 'popularity points' than the BJ. And as noted its cleans are more 'Fender-y' -- almost everyone agrees a BJ is not a BF sonically.

That said, my real-muscian friends always point out how often you see a BJ when an actual band is giving an actual performance in a local club or similar small venue.

7. garciawork

garciawork TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone, it would be hard to do so individually! Well, if I can get a more Fender-y clean out of the SC, then that is probably the way to go.

Last question for anyone who pops in, if you were buying one from sweetwater, and had the option of stock, rajin' cajun speaker version, or the cleestion G...10? G30? whatever version, which would you go with? I am more of a light, sparkly OD kind of person, coming from a tele (of course!). Tring to decide if the speaker upgrade is worth the $ or not.

8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

There are better Amplifiers in that range for the same money.
    Are You purchasing new or used?

Between the two my leaning is with a Super Champ.

Everything Randy says is right on the money, by the time You're done You could have bought something
    like a Vox AC30s1, banked the rest, and then You'd "Own The Tone" one and done.

9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I never liked the Blues Jr until I borrowed one for two small gigs - it was fine. Not the best amp ever, but I was easily able to get a nice tone out of it, at a fine volume for a bar.

I only tried the SCX2 in a store, but I couldn't understand why it gets talked up. Just not a lot of oomph there.

OP you don't mention what kind of tone you are trying to get though! An AC15 can be found used for $400, and in my neighborhood there is also a Marshall Origin 50 around that price. You could get a variety of amp styles for $400, and who knows what kinds of sounds you're looking for.
    Outside of the tube world, there is the Katana 100, Roland Blues Cube series, Boss Nextone, Fender Mustang 100, Orange Crush 50 - all 50 to 100 watt SS combos that can really do a lot for that kind of money.

10. 33Jayman

33Jayman TDPRI Member

I have a SCx2 and a Tweed Blues Jr. I like both. I did swap out the speaker in the SC for a Rajin Cajun. I would highly recommend doing that. If I hadn't made the speaker switch I probably would have sold my SC. The Rajin Cajun has very good bass compaired to stock.

Jay

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  11. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Both will certainly get the job done.

Which one you like better depends on you, really. If you can, find 'em (a pal may have one, or in the used pile in a local shop, etc.) and play them at gig levels because their voices are different, as detailed above. One will sound better to you.

I am not a fan of making amp or guitar choices based upon what I hear on YooToob or on vendor Websites. What comes out of any speaker--whether a laptop or large sound system--will sound nothing like the amp or guitar when played in person in the room with the volume cranked up.

33Jayman and King Fan like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Sidebar:

I actually JUST did a similar thing Saturday with my newish Fender Frontman 25R....
    ( bought used on CL in April- it's one of 2 small gig amps I'm using, and my blonde BJ is my 'big gig' amp)

I know the Frontman is a SS amp, but its clean channel IMO, is pretty good sounding in that BF/SF Clean realm ( Fender just knows how to do THAT in many of their amps, tube or SS), but it is very bright and lacked in mids.
    I opted for the Eminence Legend 1058 speaker, just as I have read, it preserves that Fender tone, but warms things up with more mids and body- and 75W power handling.
    I agree 100 %, I can hear the difference immediately, clean and dirty ( with my fave OD's at low Gain)
    The bad news is my regular Sunday gig got rained out, so no electric gig 'till Sunday!

33Jayman likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Quick update from above ^ posting.

I actually found my old Boss Tremolo pedal in our storage unit yesterday, yay!

I will 'replace' my Boss Chorus Ensemble (set to ' fake fast Leslie' sound) that I have used for many years.

I like this sound just fine, but I have a very small board and will be happy to have the Tremolo pedal take its place for a while- don't need both.
    * it goes with my ongoing quest to make a 'fake Princeton Reverb' ( with my speaker upgrade, and Tremolo) on the cheap, out of the Frontman.
    All GOOD so far!
    Got a clean sound, got a good OD sound, spring Reverb, and Tremolo!

14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

just my opinion:

the Celestion g10 greenback generally fits in with a "British" sound, i.e., Marshall amp classic British rock. Warm, generous bass response. Not sure that is what you are looking for when you say sparkly Fender cleans.

The Ragin' Cajun is more "American" but might also lean towards a Tweed Fender rather than a BF Fender.

Either way, it's kind of personal taste.

If you go with the Super Champ, you're buying an amp with pre-set amp "voices", so maybe the generic Fender speaker in the base model is what you want anyway - not leaning in any particular direction, let your amp voicing do the work.

The Blues Junior is a fine amp, not really Fender Blackface sound though. I had one for about five years, constant gigging, and my problem was that the dog bone handle broke - three times - and that's not fun when you're loading in/loading out. Mavbe I just had a bad run of luck with the dog bone handle, but OTOH, all versions of the Super Champ have the metal end style handle, better design for actual gigging circumstances than the dog bone. My 2 cents.

UPdate: well whatta ya know: I see the newest version of the Blues Jr. has the better handle design. Huh, who'd thunk it?

15. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have the Super Champ head with a separate good speaker cabinet and speaker.

Love it or my needs.

16. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Try the Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed, that comes with all BillM mods done.

Upgrade the speaker or add a 1x12 cab and the PJIV will surprise you.

It takes pedals very well.

kookaburra and guitarmikey like this.
  17. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Indeed, I have both, ProJr IV and SCX2 head, for cleaner tones...

18. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Super champ X2 for me, because I own one and I love it. I also don't bond well with EL84 tubes. They are not very Fender-like.

19. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

Ragin' Cajun and JJ 6V6s tubes make a positive difference in the Super Champ X2. Thinking about tilt back legs for my blonde version; white cupcake knobs dress it up. Nice amp.

20. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I had to do circuit mods and a speaker swap to get the Jr to sound like a fender. Then I sold it anyway. I would go SC, used VHT 12/20RT, or maybe an Egnater Tweaker or Rebel.

Drew617 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.