New Strymon Sunset Dual Overdrive Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axeually, Mar 9, 2017.

Can the Strymon Sunset Dual Overdrive replace your favorite drive pedal(s)?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Axeually

Axeually TDPRI Member

This thing looks pretty interesting...

It is Strymon's new "dual overdrive" pedal, the Strymon Sunset. As it appears in the video, it has two separate sides. Side A has a three-way toggle switch to select between a germanium style clipping section, a TS-inspired clipping section, and a booster that can be configured between a full-range booster to a treble booster by using the tone knob. Side B has a three-way toggle switch as well, but this toggle switches between 3 types of clipping that are different from side A. The first position is a "2-Stage" clipping style that has a soft clipping stage followed by a hard clipping stage; the second position is a hard clipping stage that emulates op-amp distortion, and the third position is a JEFT stage that uses the overdrive of the pedals actual JFET input as a clipping stage.

In typical Strymon fashion, the pedal is not analog (aside from its JFET input). It uses DSP to recreate the sound of the various clipping stages. I don't hold that against it, though... most (if not all) of Strymon's pedals operate the same way, and they all sound really nice to my ears.

I just bought the Strymon Riverside "Multi-stage" Drive, so I was honestly unpleasantly surprised by the release of this pedal! However, after looking at their website, Strymon says that the two pedals are very different architecture, and after seeing the difference between them, I am not displeased with my purchase, and I can see that there is room for both in their lineup. It looks like the Riverside is more of an amp "gain stage" style drive, while the Sunset is more of a replication/emulation of many famous drive pedal circuits.

Any thoughts on it? It seems like it could definitely replace a few drive pedals... But it is $299, so it had better replace a few drive pedals!

2. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

I like the colour so I'll probably get it at some stage

3. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

It's like having 30 drive pedals in one and you can only access 2 of them at a time. Good studio tool, but in a band situation I'd prefer building a rig around one or two separate sounds. They all sound nice though, just too many options for a drive pedal, IMO.

funkysoul and lefty73 like this.
  4. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

I love the sound of Strymon pedals but I agree they give too many options. I had an El Cap and spent more time messing with the pedal than actually playing.

That being said, this pedal does sound as great or better than any analog or digital OD. Homerun for Strymon

Axeually and lefty73 like this.
  5. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

I'm really only interested in the reverb and delay pedals from strymon. That said, I own neither. I have a hard time justifying that price, as good as they are.

6. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I love my Flint and I appreciate Strymon and this one is yet another good sounding tool - but no, thanks.
    I use the dirt channel of my amp and I just recently took my Tech21 Blonde from my pedalboard because with a slight crunch from the dirt channel I'm perfectly fine with just one pedal - and that's my TC Dark Matter which comes for 45,- € and delivers fine overdrive without masking both amp and guitar. Even the Blonde (as good as it sounds) was too much of a change to the basic sound of my amp and my guitar.
    The Strymon would be a good deal if I'd be playing in Top40 band or as a sessionplayer where I have to offer loads of different sounds for something like from ABBA to Zappa.
    But for my bands? Not exactly a bargain.

Axeually likes this.
  7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I got a TS9DX, a Soul Food Boost, and an EHX fuzz pedal, plus two low-watt tube amps with nice overdrive when they're pushed, and this thing costs 300 bucks, so, no.

8. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Right!!! I bought a Blackstar HT-Studio 20 (head) from Sweetwater for $299 when they were clearing their inventory.

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

That sounds better than Strymons previous dirt pedal.

10. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

And then you would need presets, which this pedal does't have. You could hook up the "favourite" switch, but that's still only one extra preset...

11. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

Had mine for a couple days. It's awesome. You get a Tubescreamer, Germanium Drive, Treble Boost, Distortion, Mega-distortion (metal-ly) and JFET boost all in one, you can use two at a time in series or parallel, you can morph between settings with an expression pedal or use expression pedal and volume pedal and optional external switch to save one preset. What's not to like? This thing is going on my PT Nano with my Deco and Flint. Ultimate grab-n-go mini board. Pow. It's staying. Sounds killer.

Axeually likes this.
  12. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Looks awesome. I have a Flint and love it. I simply don't need more dirt.

13. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

If they'd put midi in it so you could switch it to any of the 30 OD settings that might help it sell a little better...

gtrjunior likes this.
  14. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Exactly....same thing with the Eventide H9. Put in midi control and I'm all over it.

15. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

H9 does have MIDI

16. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

My bad....it does.
    I was having a discussion in another forum about this pedal a few weeks ago. My issue with it is that you can't use multiple Fx at once with the H9 unless the patch is already set up with multiple Fx. Otherwise it's only one effect at a time.

17. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

+1 from me

18. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Wow, I do envy you for this board!

Axeually likes this.
  19. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Sounds good, but I would buy a vintage fuzz for the same price. Though I own way too many pedals, I generally don't spend much above $100 for them unless it's something I really covet. I had one of Damage Control Demonizer pedals and thought it was a cool pedal(just not cool enough to keep-kept the Damage Control Timeline though)

20. Axeually

Axeually TDPRI Member

No delay on there? I guess the Deco technically does a little bit of delay, right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.