1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New strings~why do I wait so long...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dougstrum, Oct 14, 2017.

1. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I love new string day.

6stringcowboy and Tele1966 like this.
  2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I dislike the initial brightness when I first change strings. I need to restring a guitar or two soon. After decades of being inefficient and less than spectacular at string changes I've finally found my mojo and don't dread it as I once did.

3. adamgdog

adamgdog Tele-Meister

If I were to want to clean the pickups on my guitar with out taking off the strings on a fixed neck guitar, how would I go about this?

4. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

For me it's not so much the sound but the feel of old strings that makes me change them. I hate when sliding is difficult because your finger gets stuck.

I love new strings on an acoustic though so I tend to change more regularly on them than on electric.

On my Italia 12 I still haven't changed the flats I put on 2 1/2 years ago, whilst my Jazz bass still has the same set as when I bought it in 2006.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Clean? The covers? You'd pony up $4 for a new set of strings... Or, you'd put on a capo, detune as far as possible without losing the tuner peg, and do what you can to reach under there. But chances are great that either your cleaning method will munge up the strings, or your rewrap around the posts will break sooner rather than later, or both.

$4. Just sayin'.

KyAnne likes this.
  6. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

I change them when I start to notice tuning issues (I never break strings). So, about once per month on my main Tele.

7. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I love new strings! I change them when I pick up a guitar and it doesn't inspire me. I've never understood those who leave strings on for years or decades not realizing how much better their guitar would sound with some new strings.

esetter, MickM and rich815 like this.
  8. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Plain steel when they break, wound when they get dented / I am a faithful string wipe down with towel guy...between tunes some times. Habit has saved me a few $$ over the years...

esetter likes this.
  9. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Even being a beginner and only practicing at home maybe 30 min a day I find a significant difference to the sound when I change them every few months whether I think they need it or not. Thing is the sound changes so gradually as they get black spots and sweat and finger oils you don't notice it much, then you change them, stretch them, tune it up and strum a few chords even unplugged and it's like, whoa, that sounds great!

LiteAsh and KyAnne like this.
  10. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Plus, you are reinforcing your knowledge and skills. Changing strings is a very simple procedure, but if you don't know how to do it it seems very difficult. Changing the whole set regularly is good for your guitar, and good for your own skills and knowledge.

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I probably should change them every 12 hours or so, I can get sets for $3.25 which barely buys a cup of coffee at work. But I leave them on longer than that, I guess. I'm playing around an hour a day on average, I guess I change them once a month on whatever guitar(s) I'm currently using.

12. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

And wouldn't you know it, I'm going to change some strings today

13. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I was going to bring this up. Cleaning strings vs. changing strings. Apart from breakage or denting is ‘dirty strings’ the problem? A guitar teacher I had seem to imply that wiping them with some cleaner (mineral spirits? I can’t remember) made them stay like new longer and reduce the need for replacement. Does it clean off dirt AND corrosion? Anyone else do this?

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I have rarely had a string break, so it's kind of on a schedule. Although I admit that schedule is only about twice a year.

15. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Ha! I think it's BBQ sauce that makes strings sticky
    for sliding up to notes~

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I let one guitar that I played every weekend go almost an entire year before changing strings, and the only reason I did was because I was getting weird intonation issues that defied all logic. Changing the strings fixed this.

KyAnne likes this.
  17. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I agree. First few times I sucked at it and wound it wrong and even pricked my finger on the ends of the strings. Now I'm an "expert".

18. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I use Gibson vintage re issue and find that they last me a couple of months before they go dull. I play quite a lot, and am a relatively heavy bender. I have yet to break one. Gibbys just sound great to me and can take a beating. I should also add that I am not a heavy sweater when I play.

19. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I forget if I wrote this above before, but do you think the great players of the 50s and 60s had fresh strings all the time on those great recordings that we all revere? I remember Paul McCartney talking about tying snapped strings together because of the cost being too much

A pack of strings in England bought from the local store I like to support costs about $US7. How many times a year should I restring my 22 guitars? Every month?

I don't know what 12 times 22 times 7 is: - there are some things mankind is not supposed to know, but I would rather buy a few guitars than spend 2k keeping strings all super bright

20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I play out about once every 3 months, and that is when I change my strings. The only reason I do it that frequently is because I can buy a 3 pack off eBay for about $12.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.