New Strings Day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boomhauer, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Mostly for my own reference, but the prodigal son has returned...to Ernie Ball, that is :D The first strings that I ever used that made it impossible for me to put my guitar down were EB Slinkies, the regular ol' green pack of 10-46's. Over the years, those have been my standby, while I've experimented with other brands (Fender Bullets, GHS offerings, D'addario, and many others), but nothing quite feels like Slinkies.

One thing that I've learned from my acoustic playing is that I like a little more chunk around the low E. So, thanks to Fret Nation, I was able to buy several packs of Ernie Balls (and one set of Dean Markleys), each pack is 10's, but the thickest strings range from 46 (standard green pack Slinkies) to 52 (the red pack Skinny Top Heavy Bottom).

Right now, I've currently got Ultra Slinkies (10-48) on my modern Telecaster, and I'm very happy with the little bit of added oomph on the low end (as compared to 10-46's). These are 10-13-17-28-38-48.

I took the Cusack Pedal Strings off of my Strat and put on normal Slinkies, thereby returning the sound to it's toneful default. For reference, these are 10-13-17-26-36-46.

I'm doing a little bit of neck maintenance on my Broadcaster, but I'm going to switch it up a little and put the Dean Markleys on this guitar...their Blue Steel strings in 10-13-17-30-40-50 (it was an old pack on clearance; I couldn't find this particular set of strings anywhere else online, so it may very well have been a typo on the website). I like the dark circuit wiring, and I'm replacing some DR's, so I hope the Markleys play nicely.

Finally, my Ibanez Dumpster Fire has D'addario NYXL's on it. I'm chasing a little bit beefier of a tone, a'la Southern Rock or Cowpunk...so, I'm using the choice of strings of Mike Ness: EB Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms at 10-13-17-30-42-52.

We'll see how this goes!

2. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I tend to just buy a bulk pack od D'addario's 10s for my guitars except for the acoustics. I like silk & steels for the 12 string. I have more guitars than I need, certainly more than I can play. String changing is a long process here. And don't ask about the autoharp or my wife's lap harps. Those are month long projects. I'm glad that you like Ernie Balls. I used them for a long time until I returned to D'Addario. Everyone has their own favourites, which is why so many companies make strings! :)

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

GHS makes my favorite strings. Love the boomers they are beefy. However, the green slinkies are my second favorite.

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I tried a box of skinny top thick bottom or whatever they’re called EB’s a while back. Had to file out a few nuts to accommodate, and wasn’t blown away. I’m back to green slinkies too. Works on everything every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Hey, been running Slinkys for years on a strat and tele, elevens. I just haven't found anything that feels or sounds better on those Fenders.

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. Boomhauer

I must own the only acoustic guitar in the universe that sounds horrible with D'addarios. The guitar sounds infinitely better with strings from Martin, Ernie Ball, GHS, Elixir, or SIT. D'addarios feel bad, sound bad, and simply don't inspire me to play my acoustic. I've owned that acoustic since I was 16 or 17, and at the behest of my cousin (a rather accomplished guitarist), changed the strings to D'addarios to make it sound better. Well, the guitar sat...and sat...and sat for years, because I simply didn't dig the sound. Had I known that D'addarios sounded like a wet fart, I would've gone with something else, and maybe picked up the guitar at an earlier point in my life.

idjster likes this.
  7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I use D'AD's almost exclusively but on my Esquire, I use the Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies. For some reason they just work and sound better on that guitar. I just got a couple of free sets of GHS Boomer .010's coming in. I haven't tried them in decades. I got to say, the price was right! ;-)

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

It really is funny the way guitars react differently to different things like strings, pedals, etc. It isn't fiction, it is a true thing. I'm not sure that even with all the current "technology" testing we'll ever know why. I'm glad your system and string choices work for you!

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You are talking about acoustics sometimes...you're not using 10's on an acoustic, right?...

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

For some reason I like 9.5s or 9's on my Strats, but 10's on my Teles. D'Ads.

Something about a Strat with niners just sounds amazing. And Teles with tens.

11. Boomhauer

That's correct, I like 12-54 or 12-56 on my acoustic.

william tele likes this.
  12. Boomhauer

That particular acoustic is made in Korea...and those Koreans make a mighty fine guitar! Believe it or not, it's a Peavey acoustic. It was improved exponentially with a $50 setup, and is a pretty solid sleeper. I've had quite a few guys turn up their nose when they see the headstock, but then pick it up and strum a few chords, saying "Hey, that's actually really darn good!"

13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

When I first started buying strings (1999/2000) I bought the pink EBs, because my brother told me EBs were better than bullets/super bullets.
    I switched to DM Blue Steel for like a year in 2003ish (after trying a few brands other than Fenderand EB, not being sold on D'adarios or ghs), then around 2004 I started using up the old EBs, because I wasn't liking the DMs much anymore. I think it was 2005 when I got the idea that the strings might actually matter a bit, and a guy I knew at the local guitar store talked me into rotosound. I wanted a set with nines on the thin end but more meat on the fat side, so I got the orange hybrid gage 9-46, stuck with those until last year, when I had to concede defeat from a financial standpoint and switch back to EBs, since I can get them in the hybrid orange for $11ish for 3.
    This year I just started stringing the duosonic/mustang with the 10-48s (Ultra slinky) to get a better feeling on the whole, keep the G in tune better, and hear the fat strings a tad better.

I'm not done with Rotosounds, but since only EB and D'ad make the 10-48s, I guess I'm sticking to EB. They last about as long as the Rotos anyway.

I think I might try the Ernies in Cobalt for kicks sometime, but for the cost, EBs sound good and last about as long as pricier strings before sounding dead. Not that I'm above playing on dead sounding strings, I just feel like an accomplished adult when I have the option to get fresh strings like twice a year.... :)

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Set of 10’s for Fender scale , often replacing the high E and B with 11 and 15.

Set of straight 11’s on Gibson scale.

Any strings acceptable as long as not DR’s .

Boomhauer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.