New Strat Plus Being Made? Seen at GC

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by noah330, Mar 18, 2018.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Yesterday I was at Guitar Center and they had a brand new Strat behind the counter. First I thought it was a used Strat Plus because of the ash body (natural) and Lace Sensor looking pickups but I was told it was a new model. IIRC it was $1099 and the pickups aren't marked as Lace, but they sure look like it with the lack of pole pieces.

Anyone know what these are? I wanted to try it but since I wasn't going to buy it I didn't want to waste the sales person's time.

2. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

noah330 likes this.
  3. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

What if you'd tried it and realized you needed it? If it's that hard for them to hand someone a guitar, what in the world are they going to do for a living after GC finally collapses?

Platefire and noah330 like this.
  4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I just have a policy that unless I'm looking to buy that day I don't ask them to try. If I would have asked they would have obliged. Actually, the people in my local GC are very nice. Usually they ask if I have anything cool in my car they can check out.

Yesterday was a Saturday and they were a little busy. I wasn't really in the mood to buy something.

5. bottlenecker

I would never buy the day I try something. I mean, I would, and have, but I shouldn't. It makes more sense to wait and see how I feel about it later.

awasson and PCollen like this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

What are those pickups, I wonder?

7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I generally don't even plug guitars in for more than a minute or two if I'm going to buy them. Generally I check out the neck and play it unplugged to see how it feels. Only plug it in to make sure it works ok.

If I'm buying something really expensive I'll play it, but for GC or something usually I just need to see how it feels.

I also worked in a guitar store for a while and have dealt with a lot of lookie loos.

ricksandteles likes this.
  8. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

This was a really beautiful looking guitar from where I was standing (it was behind the counter and up a bit). Not sure how they feel/play/sound but it grabbed my attention right away.

9. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A reviewer on the GC page said this about them:

"if you're wondering about the pickups as I was I took the guard off and had a look and you have nice vintage cloth wiring with 6 beveled pole pieces than are arranged perfectly flat - no curve and no staggering."

10. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Interesting. They should have done the FLS!

11. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not even close to a Strat Plus.....no roller nut, no locking tuners, vintage trem vs. two-point trem, and if those are American Vintage pickups they are Vintage Fender Mustang with white covers. $1099 ! No way............I'd recomment the MIM American Special Strat, or the MIM Classic Player 50's Strat over that RAW guitar.

awasson likes this.
  12. PCollen

He took the guard, i.e., the pickguard, off ? So he was looking at the BOTTOM of the pickups ? Or does guard mean the pickup covers ? I don't get it.

13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

For 1099 I would buy an old Strat + not any of the crap the modern FMIC is pumping out! This guitar did look nice, though.

14. bottlenecker

Yeah, I remember you talking about this before.
    I'm mostly only interested in weird old guitars, so I play the stuff I'm into when I can. I'm always buying if it's the right guitar, but may have to sell something first and come back.
    I mostly care how they sound. I could almost stop there, but I also care how they look.
    I really don't care how they feel. I'll be able to play it. But I have to really hear the sound.
    Last time I checked out a 60s gibson it was handed to me without me asking, and plugged into a 70s deluxe. I was disappointed. It sounded ok. I won't bother playing that model again. So hopefully that will save someone some time in the future.

I bought my telecaster online because it's such a standard thing. I've heard enough fenders.

15. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The RAW guitar is $100 more than the regular American Specials. Hell - who pays full price for a Fender at GC? They've always let me use whatever discount coupon I've had on a Fender (either 15% off or 20% off). It's only ordering online where it kicks out the coupon codes; if you buy in person or over the phone they should give you the coupon.

16. PCollen

..and then taxes reduce that discount by 25-40%. My recommendation holds, regardless of price.

17. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

The MIM American?

If it's MIM, it's not American. And vice versa.

18. PCollen

Oops...typo. You're right....MIA, not MIM.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.