New Strat finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Guitarman98, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Guitarman98

Guitarman98 TDPRI Member

Hey all. I’ve recently started this Strat build I’ve been working on and I purchased paint from guitar ReRanch. I’ve grain filled, sand sealed, sprayed primer and I’ve gotten to the color coat and it looks like this after a couple coats. Not sure what to do from here. I’ve read to just spray the clear over and buff n polish that, however I’ve also heard some guys claim it’ll get worse after clear. Any opinions ?

Attached Files:

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  2. Guitarman98

Guitarman98 TDPRI Member

The light doesn’t capture it very well but this is the “surf green” fender color.

3. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I'd be tempted to sand it lightly before applying clear coats. You can always touch up the color coat before you put on any clear.

Fretting out and Guitarman98 like this.
  4. Guitarman98

Guitarman98 TDPRI Member

Is this normal roughness on a color coat ? What grit should I use and shall I wet or dry sand ?

TelenTubes likes this.
  5. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

That looks quite textured to me. I would be tempted to sand that with 400 grit (lightly!) to see if it could be smoothed out. I realize that is quite aggressive but as it stands your clear coat would have to be very thick to be able to achieve a smooth gloss finish. Maybe try 600 grit to start...

Guitarman98 likes this.
  6. Guitarman98

Guitarman98 TDPRI Member

It is very textured... I am not sure why it came out like this. I live in Florida, it could’ve been a little hot for the paint to lay smoothly on the guitar. Should I wet sand ?

7. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

I would try dry first. If you only have two coats it will sand through quite easy, so don't do it unless you have more colour on hand. It looks like the whole body is painted so you could wet sand no problem. I would dry sand just because you see the result right away, but the paper will load up very quickly.

This is what I would do, but I am not a pro. Others with more experience may have other ideas. Whatever you do, tread carefully, sand through is easy to do.

8. Guitarman98

Guitarman98 TDPRI Member

Will try this, and I’ll update this forum.

9. Guitarman98

Guitarman98 TDPRI Member

If anybody knows why the paint went on like that I would love to know so I don’t do it again.

10. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I'll defer to others, but on the two guitars I finished, I had some texture. I sanded back both - on the first guitar I ever did, I didn't sand back enough, and even though the clear coats and subsequent sanding made it less noticeable, it was still there. Hard to tell, but I'd start with 600 or so and if that isn't leveling it enough, 400.

11. Guitarman98

Guitarman98 TDPRI Member

Sounds great.

12. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

Guitarman98 likes this.
  13. Guitarman98

Guitarman98 TDPRI Member

Pits are starting to level out. Once finished sanding do I paint another coat on and hope it’s smooth, or throw clear on top of the color ?

Attached Files:

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Was the can shaken very well?
    How far from the body did you hold the can?

This is called orange peel and is often from paint that was not mixed well or was cold, also could be sprayed from too far away and landed too dry to flow out. Practice on scrap and spray a wet coat and see if it flattens out. I have read where some people suggested to warm the paint in a pan of hot water before shaking and spraying it so it would flow better.

15. Guitarman98

Guitarman98 TDPRI Member

Yes it was shaken well. I might’ve held it too far away, and it dried before hitting the guitar. I was scared of a run and might’ve gone too quick.

16. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I've done about 4 bodies not, all with nitro from both reranch and stewmac. And despite being pretty good with a spray can already, I still had some struggles to get the paint to lay down like I thought I should be able to...escpecially on the larger surfaces of the front and back.

I would definitely be sanding that out. And most likely you are going to sand through accidentally. So you will be putting another coat on. Remember the color coat does not need to be thick at all since you will be putting a bunch of clear on top.

And hopefully you don't need to order another can of color, because it could be awhile before Reranch is shipping again. Don't ask me why I know this.

17. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

As painters say... the perfect paint job is one big run. If you don't lay it down wet it will never be shiny. There is a fine line between a beautiful wet gloss coat and a run.

If you have enough paint I would sand it level and spray another wet coat or two. Wait 15-20 minutes between coats. It should go on wet and smooth.
    Buy some regular spray paint and practice on scrap till you can lay down a smooth shiny coat.

This is ReRanch Shoreline gold spray can before clear.

img00196a.jpg

18. Guitarman98

Guitarman98 TDPRI Member

After sanding flat and one last coat it looks great. Thanks for everyone who commented in here.

Attached Files:

TelenTubes likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.