New Star Trek movie out today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by McGlamRock, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Nah mate, if we're being honest with ourselves, we could find a few.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just saw the new Star Trek movie last weekend. Good but I feel there is too much reworking of familiar territory.

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

While I'm no Trekkie, I grew up with & enjoyed the original series, during the '60's. Okay, phasers on stun! I must admit, I wasn't overly impressed with the latest movie, nodding off, several times. Weak writing & dialogue, (I know this isn't rocket science fiction, but...), too much CGI, not the best villain...

4. JLC78TELE

JLC78TELE Tele-Meister

I think it helps people see themselves in the film, makes it appeal to a wider audience while making it less attractive to the narrow minded. Remember Gene Roddenberry was all about an inclusive world. Star Trek started out as a multi-racial affair, with a diverse crew. I think it makes perfect sense to include lgbt people in the latest incarnation.

As for the movie, I grew up loving the original crew in the 80's and 90's when they were decidedly uncool, and while I enjoyed the last 2, especially the aesthetics and the characters, I was not impressed with the stories. I think this new movie did a great job of capturing the more traditional parts of Star Trek that the fans missed in the last 2, while still making it dumb enough for the general summer movie loving public.

While I thought into darkness did a bad job with the best parts of wrath of khan,this movie really nailed the feeling of kirks melancholy from that film.

I think this review really sums it up well.

5. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I really liked it. And I find this series more enjoyable than the other two - much more so than the TNG movies.

6. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Next generation or nothing!

7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I also liked the movie, however there were some holes that I wished the film makers had filled. But at over 2 hours long I knew going in there were going to be some parts where I was going to have to fill in the gaps...

But overall I like how the direction of this reboot is going. Although I am getting tired of seeing the Enterprise not get her due as a character in the series.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Just watched it tonight in the two buck theater, my sons and I liked it well

9. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Me too. I mean, they created a whole new time line so that they could depart from the original and tell new stories. So give us something new. I liked the new one better than the first two, though. I wasn't that impressed with Into Darkness. It was ridiculous on a few levels, IMO.

I agree

10. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Star Trek Into Darkness is on free to air here tonight. Might have to catch it. I hope it's better than Beyond, which I rented and simply couldn't finish.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.