1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Star Trek movie out today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by McGlamRock, Jul 22, 2016.

1. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I got tickets for my wife and I to see it tonight and I am pumped!

I saw a cool Star Trek exhibit at the EMP in Seattle a month back while I was there for my Family Reunion, so I am properly amped up! It looks like the movie got pretty good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Anyone else planning on going tonight?

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I see it's scheduled at the nearby drive in theater in August, I think I'll hold out til then

3. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not a Trekkie but I do enjoy the recent Star Trek movies.

4. McGlamRock

I envy your self control, blowtorch! The minutes are passing like hours for me at work today

5. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

I am a Trekkie but I don't enjoy the recent movies. ;)

richa and dmitri like this.
  6. blowtorch

The newest of the Bourne series is supposed to be playing out in the drive-in, also, later in the season. That should be fun.

Yeah most all movies I wait til they're either in the about-to-go-to-DVD-$3-theater, or I see them in the drive-in. Regular theaters are just too expensive, and on the other hand, if we don't support the few drive ins left, they will vanish

Jakedog and McGlamRock like this.
  7. McGlamRock

I hear ya. The last of the drive ins around me became commercial office space about 15 years ago

8. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I have mixed feelings about both Star Trek and Star Wars new movies. The franchises are be well-worn, but there is still the possibility of good story telling in each. I think what bugs me about both is the amount of hype surrounding them. I guess that comes with the territory though.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  9. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I have mixed feelings about the Star Trek and Star Wars reboots. J.J. Abrams is the single most derivative filmmaker I've ever encountered, who is regularly given hundreds of millions of dollars to make movies that are just pale reflections of those that preceded them.

Of course, Force Awakens was the most egregious example. But, the changes he's made to Star Trek - and, yes, I understand his Star Trek universe exists on a different timeline than the original Roddenberry one - are either weak or preposterous. I mean, really, Lt. Uhura, who was one of the original "strong, independent women" of late-60s television, whining and screaming about their relationship with Mr. Spock... while he was engaged in hand to hand combat with Khan????? Give me a freakin' break!!!!!

And, not for nothing, Planetkiller Base? Explain to me, why if you've killed the Sun in a given system, do you need to blow up the planets? A) The lack of a sun would extinguish all life, and B) The gravitational pull of the space previously occupied by that sun would suck in all the planets, anyway. (Counter intuitive, but true!)

I love Star Trek. I have a problem standing J.J. Abrams absolute lack of originality. Don't get me wrong: Give me $100,000,000 and a crew of 15,000 people and I will fail to accomplish anything. But, all he achieves is retreads of superior originals.

Gay Sulu? Black Stormtrooper? Politically correct garbage. Even George Takei isn't on board!!!

I can't wait to see what Gareth Edwards, who made the most recent Godzilla movie, does with "Rogue One." I'll bet it's the most original thing to wear the name Star Wars in many, many years, even if it does exist in a previously explored universe. And, more importantly, I'll bet it'll be plausible and - most important - good!

All that said, I'll be seeing "Beyond" on Tuesday -- What can I say? Any Star Trek is better than no Star Trek at all!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Toto'sDad, McGlamRock and Dan R like this.
  10. blowtorch

you guys, truth be told, star trek was shatner/nimoy and star wars was mark hammill/harrison ford/carrie fisher.

I will always watch the new versions, but they have all been just the palest imitations

radiomanjh likes this.
  11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Can't wait to see sometime.

To boldy go.....

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Toto'sDad and RetroTeleRod like this.
  13. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks guys for reminding me about the drive-in. I have a lot of great memories of going to them growing up. When I was a kid there was one less than five miles away from our house. Popcorn, Hot Dogs and Cokes were never better than they were at the drive-in! Around here they also used to have something called "carload night" when you could get as many as you could haul in your vehicle in for one price. I need to make it a point to go to one again soon. The old one had been gone for years, but there's one about 45 miles away.

14. BigDaddyLH

The one near me does flat rate per car on Thursday. They also have "smokin" and non-smokin sections :p

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I think it's amazing the number of families that are still being started nowadays, considering the limited number of drive-ins that are still in business. You might say they are a family tradition, for many.

16. McGlamRock

That's the ticket!

17. BigDaddyLH

My fambly will be celebratin!

[​IMG]

AAT65, RetroTeleRod and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. McGlamRock

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, you'll be happy to know that JJ Abrams only produced the latest Trek. And it was Simon Pegg who decided that Sulu was gay. Pegg wrote the script.

However, I'll be waiting for Blu-ray. I have an excellent home theatre with comfortable seats, a 90" screen, no other audience members to impact the viewing experience, and a pause button for the guaranteed moment that I will need to go to the bathroom.

20. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Abrams was in charge. It's his fault... Whatever "it" is!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.