New Squiers Are Now $600

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
I mostly agree with this. However they also vary from guitar to guitar more than people assume, and some models became known for its neck (early Squier '51s for example). I sold my 2016 VM Mustang but not because of the chunky neck. It measured 0.92" to 0.95", 1st to 12th, nice C-shape profile with a rosewood fingerboard. Another player mentioned his VM Jag was just under 1 inch at the first fret. On the other hand the VMJM I own is average, just a little less than an Allparts JM neck.

true, and there is a lot more slop the lower you go down the line. even my MIM standard tele i think sometimes is a fluke (.85"-.92"), since that standard neck (the one after 08 with the not-quite-CBS logo) is always spec'd as .82"-.87".

Audiowonderland

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
FSR Squier Bullet Tele in Lake Placid Blue went from $150 USD in MF/GC to $219.99 in those same outlets when the new stock arrived on or about January 19, 2022.

Still the best value in Fender’s line, IMO.

Pricing for container space to land the product in the USA, IMO, is the most likely cause of the price jump.
I will take this one any day of the week over a Squier.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Yes, the new top of the line Squiers are now $599. I'm old enough to remember buying a US made Strat for less than that.

View attachment 944701

Strange days, indeed. I got my cv tele at $299, days before they made the jump to $450. It's a great guitar, just what I wanted. Maybe I would have bought it at $450, I cant say. But $600?! That's just nuts. I think before I paid that amount for an import squier, i would do a hell of a lot of shopping, and would look at alternatives like ltd, schecters, and such.

The days of the $150 Bullet Squier may also be over. Indeed - paying more for parts and labor will typically lead to higher prices. Priced amps lately?

It trips me out more that the most basic MIM tele is $800. The MIM classic 50s lacquer tele I bought new in 2017 for $900, is now selling for $1100-1200 used.
Yes the prices are going up. But guys, if the prices of new stuff goes up, so does the used stuff and by that I mean the guitars we have ;)

Ash-517

TDPRI Member
I'm gonna be the odd man out here and say I payed $450 for my CV50's and feel like it was 100% justified. Better fretwork than my $750 player strat that it replaced and much better than the player series strats and teles I've played in my local guitar stores since then. Those things feel like they're gonna cut my hand open from all the fret sprout. Not to mention the squier's electronics are much more lively than the fender's but I chalk that up to fender using 250k pots on a humbucker loaded guitar which is downright stupid. Either way I'm not sure it's fair to compare Squier CV guitars to G&Ls that are going for almost $100 more and using basswood where the CV50 at least uses pine. Yes these new ones are $600, they're also clearly some limited edition "premium" models for an anniversary. True the other guitars have been going up in price, so has literally everything else that money can buy in the US right now.

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
Well, I'm gonna have to reconsider. Can't keep crying about inflation...😏🙃

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/squier-40th-anniversary-models

View attachment 944717
Yeah man, that's killer. I get alot of joy outta my Squiers, all are heavily modded of course, except my CVJM, i haven't felt the need to do anything to it except shim the neck and locktite the bridge adjusters (std JM stuff). That one looks like it would be good to go right outta the box, nothing wrong with Squier upping their game, and expecting to be paid for it.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Probably a bit of a stretch to call those "Top of the Line" :oops:
To be honest, I find them all to be gaudy, for the Gucci crowd :lol:

I still consider the Classic Vibe series to be "Top of the Line" and those have only risen a few dollars.

Silent Otto

Tele-Holic
the top CV at canada's national retailer is at CD$659 ($750 take home price)
'tis sweet tho: fsr sparkle seafoam tele body w/ maple & strat headstock

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Yeah man, that's killer. I get alot of joy outta my Squiers, all are heavily modded of course, except my CVJM, i haven't felt the need to do anything to it except shim the neck and locktite the bridge adjusters (std JM stuff). That one looks like it would be good to go right outta the box, nothing wrong with Squier upping their game, and expecting to be paid for it.
Hey Wildeman...yep, the VM and CV offsets have always put out the best value for JMs, Jags, and Mustangs for a decade now. I had a VM Jag that needed nothing apart the usual bridge setup and truss rod tweak. We'll see if these things keep flying off the shelves at 500 though...They probably will as the used market slides right up..

Ash-517

TDPRI Member
I will admit as a follow up for my previous post, the specs on the anni models aren't very intriguing. The CVs definitely look like a better value. What the heck is Nyotah anyways?

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
This FSR Aztec Gold Squier Bullet Stratocaster was purchased by my Lady from MF for $99.99 with free shipping. It arrived in my office on September 6, 2016:
View attachment 944757
Five years later, after a set of Hipshot locking staggered tuners and a pickguard/backplate change, it’s still a great player:
View attachment 944762

As another poster said, the Golden Age may have ended. 😔
What amp is that in the picture and how do you like it? Thanks!

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If I recall correctly, back in the day GC paid me $100 to take a Telecaster off their hands and gasoline for the car was FREE! Yep, we'll never see those days again...🤣🤣🤣

wblynch

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
That's too much money to send to China and I'm still not convinced that consistent quality is coming out of Indonesia. Save a few more shekels and buy MIA, or at least MInorthA.
Considering modern corporatist business, probably only $50 is going to China. The rest goes into the middleman’s pockets.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Considering modern corporatist business, probably only $50 is going to China. The rest goes into the middleman’s pockets.
There are shipping and costs of doing business for MIM and MIA guitars too. I still buy MIA where possible, or made in a non-predatory economy in an American owned factory where possible. That goes for any consumer product I buy. I read labels before buying.

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
What amp is that in the picture and how do you like it? Thanks!
It’s a Fender Mustang I v.2. I keep it there for noodling and general sanity. I bought it a few years ago to keep at my Lady’s home (which has been “my home” since shortly before the pandemic). I have a second one with identical patches at my house, plugged into my DAW, to use for quick-and-dirty recording work.

It’s an early version modeling amp. If it was available at the time I bought this one, I would have been happier with a Champion 20. It’s more than I need for de-stressing noodling. IMO, the Mustang is unnecessarily complicated.

I spend a few hours a couple of days a week with friends at my house, playing. The occasional project comes my way which requires a more serious approach. It’s then that the mics, direct boxes, various amps, guitars, and basses get selected to do their thing. 😀