New Squiers Are Now $600

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, the new top of the line Squiers are now $599. I'm old enough to remember buying a US made Strat for less than that.

600squiers.png

old soul

Tele-Holic
Strange days, indeed. I got my cv tele at $299, days before they made the jump to $450. It's a great guitar, just what I wanted. Maybe I would have bought it at $450, I cant say. But $600?! That's just nuts. I think before I paid that amount for an import squier, i would do a hell of a lot of shopping, and would look at alternatives like ltd, schecters, and such.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Get them at that price while you can because it's going up soon when the new MIM prices go over $1000 by the end of the year.

i think there were so many MIM standards made and still around to keep the used prices down. they were around 350-450 for the longest time when they should have been 5, it was like a time warp to the 90s. if you use reverb, sure, prices are a race to the top. but CL/classifieds it's not getting out of control.

i sold an 00s MIM bass for 5 during the pandemic, but it was IRL and not reverb. taking 5 for a 1000 dollar new MIM would be really bad depreciation. but in my case, and many others, 5 was about original new price in last year's dollars adjusted for inflation. and close to what i would have netted through reverb anyway. i'm plenty happy with that and can imagine others would be too.

Last edited:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
The days of the $150 Bullet Squier may also be over. Indeed - paying more for parts and labor will typically lead to higher prices. Priced amps lately?

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
Don't know if I mentioned what I paid for my near new 2021 MIM. :cool::D

$500 cash. Yup. Had to do a little dealin' to come up with cash. But man I pounced on it when the opportunity presented itself. I was actually at a GC, getting ready to plop down what I could for a new one, when the seller responded from an earlier message convo.

The seller just figured he wasn't a strat guy. Wanted more of a metal sound and feel. Well, the Fender Players certainly aren't metal guitars in stock form, to say the least.

Get this. The original strings weren't even stretched out yet.

And just a few weeks after Fender increased to $849. With that and the RK Twin finds happening on the same day, I should make a Vegas run. 👯‍♂️

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Where are you seeing this? Looks like FSR runs to me. I'm down with bound 'n blocked inlays on my Jazzmasters but not so much for gold hardware. Still, a hard no on these for 600.

I paid 299 new for my VMJM, and 100 bucks used for my VM Jag. Both had rosewood necks. Those days are long gone 😔

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
The days of the $150 Bullet Squier may also be over. Indeed - paying more for parts and labor will typically lead to higher prices. Priced amps lately?

Anyone remember the $99 Fender Strat deal at GC? IIRC it went on for at least 5 years or so, until some time in the very early 90s. It was Fender branded, too. Not a Squier.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
i think there were so many MIM standards made and still around to keep the used prices down. they were around 350-450 for the longest time when they should have been 5, it was like a time warp to the 90s. if you use reverb, sure, prices are a race to the top. but CL/cassifieds it's not getting out of control.

When I sold my '73 Strat for $250 in 1992 I thought, "Yeah, I'll be able to get one later for about the same price if I want." Oops!

Buy at those 2018 and earlier prices while you still can.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
When I sold my '73 Strat for $250 in 1992 I thought, "Yeah, I'll be able to get one later for about the same price if I want." Oops!

Buy at those 2018 and earlier prices while you still can.

different circumstances though. people then thought they were completely worthless post CBS junk, and now people go insane for any last shred of "vintage."

the MIMs will likely never be that hated nor that prized. unless fender does something crazy like move all import production to asia, which I don’t think will happen given that the average wages in a lot of asian countries either have overtaken or will overtake Mexico in the near future.

Last edited:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Where are you seeing this? Looks like FSR runs to me. I'm down with bound 'n blocked inlays on my Jazzmasters but not so much for gold hardware. Still, a hard no on these for 600.

I paid 299 new for my VMJM, and 100 bucks used for my VM Jag. Both had rosewood necks. Those days are long gone 😔
Agree. If I am going to buy an inexpensive guitar, I want my money going toward build quality and components, not bells and whistles.

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Sweetwater, Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, all the usual online stores have them available for pre-order.
Thanks. I looked at Sweetwater first, but my searches turned up nothing. I knew GC had a FSR run of Jazzmaster (not these), which jumped in price over night earlier this month.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
It trips me out more that the most basic MIM tele is $800. The MIM classic 50s lacquer tele I bought new in 2017 for $900, is now selling for $1100-1200 used.

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Agree. If I am going to buy an inexpensive guitar, I want my money going toward build quality and components, not bells and whistles.

Ah, but the B&B is what FMIC realizes offset people will pay more for 🤑 I mean, those are not bells and whistles for me lol. I'll do 550 for that desert sand JM I posted above, especially if that neck feels like the older VM Jags and Mustangs (fat necks).

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
It trips me out more that the most basic MIM tele is $800. The MIM classic 50s lacquer tele I bought new in 2017 for $900, is now selling for $1100-1200 used.

It bothers me that I sold my 50s lacquer Tele for 5 or 600 (can't remember) around 2016. Hope that kid knows what he has, and did something awesome with it.