New squier paranormal series?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ReverendRevolver, Jun 5, 2020.

1. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

So, I just spent an exhausting day shopping for a new couch.

Came home, and as I'm unwinding I look on reverb and Ebay for fun. I see some rubbish about a preorder on a squier offset tele. I Google.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/squier-revives-forgotten-fender-classics-with-the-paranormal-series

HPVgfSotLMmTnv5ZkdjqW6-1024-80.jpg

This is the coolest series out of squier I've ever heard of. I haven't been this impressed since they made those '51s years back.
    When I started playing, the cyclone and later cycloneII were drool-worthy for me. Toronados even moreso. If you don't believe me, in addition to it being my main guitar for more than a decade, its tattooed on my leg. No, really.

I had a cyclone II ad on my wall (along with a few hundred other cut from magazine pictures of music related stuff.

So I saw this and had to stand up and make sure I wasn't dreaming or hallucinating.

Theres also a super sonic and 2 different cabronitas. A thin line and a baritone.

I REALLY wish they were cheaper than $400 (which is used Fender price range) so I could conceivably buy several. I'm gonna guess these will be like the $400 squier mustangs and never go for cheap used.

But, for now, the offset tele looks promising. I mean, the mahogany Japanese ones cost as much as the new US teles with the really cool colors, or a pair of FSR colored MIMs.

Thoughts?

BorderRadio, tery, MrGibbly and 3 others like this.
  2. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I've purchased any number of Squiers in the $200-$250 range, so yeah, when I see the prices hovering in the $400-$450 range, I have to get more selective. But between these and the new Starcasters, I know I'll be getting a couple more.

zippofan likes this.
  3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I was able to get a pre-order when MF put them up after NAMM very briefly, but they pulled them and cancelled the orders pretty quickly.

So, finally. A Super Sonic will be mine...

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I miss "Squier " meaning "<$200". The Toronado is $349 on the fender site. A Fender Toronado was probably $329 in 1999, but I'd have to grab an old magazine from my basement to prove it.
    I'll be the first to admit a 2020 squier is at least $150 better quality than a 1999 squier, adjusted for inflation, but it's a big ouch for me.

Still really tempting though.

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I like the super sonic but they rerelease it every 8 years or so and it never takes hold

Squier and fender versions

I never liked the toronados there’s just something wrong about them

Some of those are guitars released in my youth and they weren’t too popular back then either, I guess they are hoping one of these guitars will eventually be the “new” mustang/jazzmaster/jaguar

6. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

My Toronado cost right around $500 new in 2002

popthree likes this.
  7. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

If I get any of the reissues of the older models its gonna be a Lead II. I scoped out the 4 paranormal guitars, only thing that would get a 2nd look is the carbonita tele

8. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I was gung ho on the Cyclone and the Cabronita when first announced, then found out they're not putting Jag pickups in the Cyclone. They're just Strat type pickups. My hopes were further dashed when I read the description of the neck as a "slim, comfortable neck." I can't stand those anemic Fender necks. In fact, all the Paranormal series apparently have the "slim" necks. So, regrettably, I have zero interest in this series.

9. Lamar Fandango

Lamar Fandango TDPRI Member

Zero interest. If I decide to get a Super Sonic, it will be a Vista or Pawnshop.

10. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Wow!! I’ll say that semi-hollow Cabronita Tele in Oly white with the black Jazzmaster pups and black pickguard looks VERY Sexy!!!

I love a “reverse tuxedo” motif on a guitar ever since I saw Brix play her white Ric 330 with the black headstock plate and pickguard back in the day with (R.I.P. Mark E. Smith...) The Fall.
    I really think that’s the looker of the herd.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  11. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

OK, OK- I posted too quick!!

Cyclone in Shell Pink- also super cool.

‘54 Jazz Bass in White Blond with the stacked V/T knobs????

Dang! I (really don’t..) NEED at least two of those three!!!... Oly White Cab, and the White blond J-Bass- there- that’s my new GAS. Curse You Squier by Fender!!! HELP....

Alex W and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  12. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'll take a Toronado.

13. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Wow very interesting, it seems Squier isn't as budget as it once was and USA Fenders have gone up hugely. I assume this is due to the cost of labour rising in all of these places as these instruments are all above the proportional inflation rate quite significantly.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  14. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think they’re cool, but my attention is on buying old stuff and projects these days. Otherwise I’d be all over the Starcasters.

68Telebass likes this.
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

That's by design. Squiers greatest competitor is - a used Fender. Heck, Fenders greatest competitor is Fender. With the extreme glut of great guitars produced over decades, Fender has to offer a new model that is just as appealing as a older MIM. The used MIM market sets the price point of the consumer, so that's what they target. Why buy used, if you can have the same or better in a new guitar?

archtop_fjk and TokyoPortrait like this.
  16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

Very cool group of guitars. I want at least three of them right off the bat.

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

Double post...

68Telebass likes this.
  18. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

That baritone black Cab is pretty dope.

19. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

CA$560.00 plus 15% gov't tribute here in canadia. hard pass.

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Unfortunately, I don't think I'd like any of them. It looked like most of them have narrow frets and a 9.5 radius which isn't something I care for. I'd probably like the Toronado if it had a 12" radius and medium jumbo frets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.