New Squier Affinity Telecaster in Arctic White

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Fretman67, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Fretman67

Fretman67 TDPRI Member

Just saw the new Squier Affinity Telecaster Arctic White. It is now a pure white color. No longer has the yellowish tone to it. Plus it's a string-thru body instead of a top loader. And the design and wording on the headstock has also changed along with the nut color from black to white. Plus the tone knob sits much closer to the selector switch for some reason.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

My first telecaster, which happened to be my only Squier also, was an Affinity. I wish I had kept it. It was a great guitar.

Fendereedo and Fretman67 like this.
  3. Fretman67

Fretman67 TDPRI Member

4. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

This is purely a personal preference, but, I have never been able to like white guitars. I've even seen a few I thought were pretty, but, I can't make myself own one. If you buy that one, I hope you enjoy it ten times as much as you pay for it.

5. Fretman67

Fretman67 TDPRI Member

I bought mine last year. A 2018 model that has the yellowish tone color. I like it a lot. The pure white color caught my eye. It's a toss up for me which color is my preference. But I'll be keeping the one I have right now.

'51 geezer and Fendereedo like this.
  6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

The Jack plate looks to be a better design too. I hated to old plastic square one, really clunky looking, and not very stable. Hopefully the new design will be at the very least made of some kind of durable metal.

Fretman67 likes this.
  7. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

The Spec does say top loader bridge. Looks like the regular model now being made in Indonesia and I don't think the placing of the knobs is different. I bought mine a while ago and whilst i have a Custom Shop Nocaster, I still play and won't part with my affinity because it's a perfectly playable and good sounding guitar, which I'd really recommend to someone on a budget looking for a tele. You may have to do abit of work - in my case the fret ends but that'[s not so much poor workmanship as wood shrinkage. The thing I like about these is that they can be set up perfectly. Pickups? Ceramic sure but not that bad but I would recommend upgrading to alnicos - a real improvement. Otherwise they are fine. Some have issues with the narower neck width and the vintage style frets but they are very well made with, apprently, alder bodies.

8. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

That’s very cool, thanks for posting. I have a white on white Tele build planned with a nice ebony fret board. I think the contrast will look amazing with a white peg head. I’d love to bind it, but it’s already had round over.

Fretman67 likes this.
  9. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

String through is a huge step. Cant stand top loaders

10. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I see nothing wrong with toploaders in general, but string thru is nice too. No way I could get on with that 1.6 inch nut width though. Who's hands are that small?

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

You should try a 2000 standard... even more narrow than 1.6" (40.6mm) (which almost no Affinity has), I even measured 39.8mm (1.57") on a 2001 double fat tele made in Korea.
    The string spacing was a lot more narrow on the 2000 standards than on the double fat (carved top) tele though.

12. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

No thank you! I'll stick with my Bullet at 1.660 inches!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.