1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Squier '51... Anybody got one?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Danomo, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

I sold my original to a bud, and while I can visit it, he's already indicated I'm never getting it back.
    While I did mod it significantly, my only two real gripes about it stock were the poorly cut nut and not having a string through body, at least they added the string through body.

Who has bought the new one? Is it as "special" as the original?

Attached Files:

2. NEPATelecaster

NEPATelecaster Tele-Afflicted

I had an original and recently bought a new one. I prefer the new model with the string through. I also didn't have fret problems with the new as I did with the old, and I like this color better. I really wish I didn't sell the last one, but loving this one.

3. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

I've been interested in getting a newer one since they came out with string-through. A 2 tone burst one would look really nice next to my Sting bass.

4. Bill Clay

Bill Clay TDPRI Member

Do the new ones also have baseball bat necks? With fender making the new baja necks skinnier, I'm worried that they're doing away with thick necks.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I've got an old one for sale... Never really bonded with it. Can't say on the new ones,

6. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

The neck on my original was about the same thickness as my BT Tele (but satin instead of gloss).
    I picked up a used G & L tribute legacy in a suburban GC a couple weeks ago, I had déjà vu, the neck felt very similar to my '51.

I too would go for the burst.

7. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

Attached Files:

8. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Got my hands on a new one at Roxy Music (LaPorte IN) today. It was lighter than my old one (which was light), the neck felt like it has a bit thinner taper than the original, it also felt like it hadn't been cleaned before the satin finish was put on the neck (satin finish felt slightly gritty). The neck pup is just as good as the original, I never cared for the original bridge pup, the new one is a tad brighter. The string through bridge is an improvement (seems twangy-er), and the string ferrules are metal. The frets are finished way better than my original was (no filing required). It comes down to.. is it worth $179? I think so, but the neck... While made physically better than the original, feels more (size-wise) like the $99 sparkle Strat necks than a real Tele neck (like the original).

I'll tell you what grabbed me... Was the CV '72 thinline next to it. It felt more balanced, and comfortable than the several MIM ones I've tried of late (same pickups), it also had a chunkier neck than the MIM, except for the gloss finish... it actually felt more like the neck on my old '51.

9. Dennis Brown

Dennis Brown Tele-Meister

Thanks to Craigslist, I just picked one up in Hardee's parking lot without hearing it. When making the offer, I couldn't have cared less which squier it was, I didn't buy it to play. I gave $100 for it because I just wanted the neck for a project I'm working on, and figured I could get most or all of that out of the loaded body, so the sound was irrelevant to me: I was hoping to part it and turn it into a free neck. I literally walked in the door less than an hour ago with it. Then curiosity got the best of me and I plugged it into the Blues Jr. I keep in the living room...I was a bit taken aback. I've only played on it for 15 or minutes, but here is my first impression:

This little booger sounds GOOD, honest good without the thin cheesy overtones I associate with most thin-bodied Squiers. I just so happen to have the big brother to it, the Fender Pawnshop 51, same color and everything. Definitely not the same quality of guitar, but then again, the Japanese version costs 4.5x the Squier. Front logo was gently removed, the back is intact, shows 2005 as a build date. The Squier is thinner and lighter, they don't sound the same, very different tone, etc, but just judging as a stand alone guitar, I think it sounds good enough to get paid. The bridge pickup was very good as a humbucker, decent as a single coil. The neck pickup was pretty good, although not as woody or full bodied as the Texas Special in the Fender version.

It's unfair to compare a $800 guitar to a $179 guitar, but it is fair to say that if you are only comparing SOUND, the Squier is an insane value and it wasn't hard to find some good sound with all the tone controls on 5. Probably won't be granted a permanent place in my stable, but it is a very good little guitar and the best $100 I've ever spent on a complete and clean guitar.

10. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Well said Dennis. I would love a pawn shop 51 and I love my 05 51.

11. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

I succumbed... (This is a 2014 model).

Attached Files:

12. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

All the fun of the original, but with smooth fret ends, block saddles, and a string through body (doesn't say 51 on it anywhere now). The bridge is also correctly placed now, my original needed the low E settle almost flush to the plate to be intonated.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.