New Speaker for Supersonic 22.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Singles Forever, Oct 17, 2020 at 6:13 PM.

1. Singles Forever

Singles Forever TDPRI Member

I have the stock Lightning Bolt now. I'm curious if anyone has tried either the Cannabis Rex or the Swamp Thang on this amplifier.

I could save some money on the Cannabis Rex, and it's all so much easier to find in Toronto. But I'm worried it might not have enough Sparkle and fight.

Anybody?

Thanx

tah1962 likes this.
  2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I no longer have my Super Sonic 22, but when I did have it I tried 5-6 different speakers in it and ended up putting the stock lightning bolt back in it.

Is your stock speaker broken in? I wasn’t real impressed with the lightning bolt until is was broken in, then it came alive.

3. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I have a SS Twin, with the stock Celestions. Perhaps your 22 might sound good, with a British voicing?

4. Singles Forever

Funny you say that, cuz I just put a wgs veteran 30 that I had lying around in the 22. Sounds god awful worse than the lightning bolt. Thats not really British though

5. Singles Forever

I think it is. I've been playing it a lot for about 1.5 years. It's not like I don't think it sounds good. I think it sounds very good already. I just thought it could sound even better. I change the speaker in my Blues Junior to a red white and blues, and the jtm 32A black shadow, and the difference is were remarkable. So much so that before those changes I played the supersonic almost exclusively... Now it's merely in 2nd place.

tah1962 likes this.
  6. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

For reference, if u didn't know. The Lighting Bolt is similar to a V30, ie mid emphasis.

It does work very well with the ss22.

I've used and hate CRex in other amps and find no redeeming features (unless u want dark, bass emphasised ).

Other ppl say they are great. You be your own judge.

tah1962 likes this.
  7. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

An Alessandro GASC64 would be my choice.

Singles Forever and tah1962 like this.
  8. Singles Forever

That may actually be true, but I've listened to comparisons between a real v30 and the veteran 30 and I don't find those amps to sound at all like each other. The lightning bolt also has a lot, a lot a lot more bass and fullness then the veteran 30. At least that's how it sounded in my supersonic.

Actually now that I think about it I disagree with you. I remember hearing a comparison video between the lightning bolt and a real v30 by Shawn at In the Blues. The lightning bolt had that warmer, slightly scooped Fender sound while the celestion had more mid-range aggression of the sort you would expect paired with a Marshall in a hard situation. I def prefered the lightning bolt.

I'm starting to think tah1962 is right lol.

But I think at the end of the day, everything can be a little bit better if you have the patience. I never thought I would play my jtm30 more than my supersonic, but with the black shadow it's winning all day.

9. Watchdogg

Watchdogg TDPRI Member

Recently swapped to a celestion g12h55. Very pleased. Still have classic fender sparkle on vintage and the drive is much warmer clear.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 7:54 AM
    Singles Forever likes this.
  10. Singles Forever

What you guys think about a celestion v type 70?

11. Hpilotman

Hpilotman TDPRI Member

I like and recommend the Eminence Red-White-and Blues in Fender 1 x 12 Fender Tube Amps. Rated AT 120 Watts and 101 db. Big fat clean Fender tones from Strats and Teles. I get my OD from Keeley Red Dirt. I have used this speaker in several different amps and never regretted it. I presently use it in a Fender Blues JR.
    Usual street price New: $79.99

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 10:39 AM
  12. Singles Forever

Nice. Interestingly enough I have a red white and blues in my blues junior as well. Nice punchy sound that takes away the Blues Junior fartiness.

I just keep on going back to the hunch that the Swamp Thing is the best match though.

The problem is you never really know until you try.

13. MusicCityGrooves

MusicCityGrooves TDPRI Member

I ran a CRex in my SS22 for a couple of years, but I recently put the Lightning Bolt back in.

When running medium to higher gain in the burn channel (no pedals), the bottom flubbed out a fair bit more with the CRex. On the plus side it may have been a bit smoother in the upper midrange and high end than the LB.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.