New speaker for 1969 Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joecool324, Aug 27, 2019.

1. joecool324

joecool324 TDPRI Member

My 1969 Deluxe Reverb is going to a tech to get repaired in the coming weeks and while it’s there I am going to have the speaker changed as well. I am thinking of replacing it with a Celestion Alnico Cream. However, I am debating if a Celestion Gold or Vintage 30 would work better. I usually play a tele and traditional country, 50s and 60s rock, classic rock and Americana. Does anyone here have experience with these speakers in Fender style amps (Deluxe Reverbs especially)? If so, what were your impressions of them?

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Emi GA SC 64 ........DONE!

But seriously, you may like any of those you mention. I tried a Greenback in mine for a month or so. Liked it at first but later tired of it. The only other Celestion I remember trying is various versions of the G12-65 by Celestion, Weber etc. They were ok but not what I wanted. A cream or gold alnico could be very nice. I'm just not an alnico fan myself.

3. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I'm mostly using an alnico blue with my DR, which is very similar to yours (mine is from the early 70s). I like it, and I think you'd be happy with it for 50s and 60s sounds. It's thick and rich and has that cool smooth yet thick high midrange thing going on that I've never found in any other speaker. But I don't think I'd want to use it for country. You just lose too much of that bright Fender zing.

FWIW, I also have a G12H30, but I don't care for it with the DR. Too big in the low end and a bit too strident in the highs. I think the Greenback would work better, though (IME, that speaker may not be great, but sounds at least good with everything). I've also used an old Jensen P12Q with it. Not nearly as nice as the Blue. Can't handle the bass and too attenuated in the highs. Nice midrange, though.

joecool324 likes this.
  4. HybridTele

HybridTele TDPRI Member

Vintage 30. Fits very well with Fender Deluxe.

joecool324 likes this.
  5. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Here's my short list, ranked on my taste:
    - Weber 12F150T
    - Emi Lil Texas
    - Emi Cannabis Rex
    - MojoTone BV30H
    - WGS ET65

I have yet to try the Emi GA-SC64 but likely will in the near future! Don't know if it can beat the 21F150T...

GFrank, nojazzhere and joecool324 like this.
  6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Of the two choices I’d go with the Gold (I dislike V30’s). My BFDR actually had a Celestion Blue (similar to a Gold) inside when I bought it. The Blue sounded good in the amp, but it made my Deluxe Reverb sound less like a vintage Fender amp, and more like a British sounding amp.

Playing Country, why go with a British sounding speaker? I second the GASC64 or Weber’s version of a Jensen C12N.

I just did a thread on the GASC64 in my BF Deluxe Reverb. I really like that speaker.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/search-ended-vintage-dr-speaker-replacement.973042/

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    rebelwoclue and joecool324 like this.
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya. I have Celestion Cream in a PRRI and Celestion Gold in a DRRI. Both great..
    Has both US and brit to it. Not as bright as as US ceramic types, but with the
    extra headroom for both, you can do almost anything. I may flip around
    some day or look at the new Ruby. I am a alnico nut.

joecool324 and JustABluesGuy like this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Alessandro SC64. Vintage Jensen tones in a modern high capacity, high efficiency speaker.

Great vintage tones, not expensive.

You play classic Americana, custom made.

gridlock and joecool324 like this.
  9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Deluxe Reverbs are a funny amp in that they're either too loud or not loud enough. I put a Maverick in mine for some added flexibility.

10. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

There's another thread about the Alessandro too ... I tried a few different choices in a late SFDR and ended up with the Cannabis Rex. Generally I love Eminence speakers (great values that they are) and the the Rex was the one that best represented my amp.

nojazzhere and joecool324 like this.
  11. silktone

silktone TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Are you looking to retain the character of the amp that you're used to and just want a new speaker for reliability or are you changing because you're seeking a tonal change?

I've tried a lot of speakers in Fenders in for repair and don't like the vintage 30 for what you're playing at all. I think the celestion gold does everything well in a fender but very differently than the old seamed cone american speakers. It won't sound like the vintage speaker you've got in there if it's in good shape. Its hard to beat the sweetness and openness of those vintage guys.

gridlock and joecool324 like this.
  12. joecool324

joecool324 TDPRI Member

Not really looking to retain the character. The person I bought it from replaced the vintage speaker after it needed to be repaired with a Celestion Seventy/Eighty which sounds ok but not great. I like alnicos in other amps I’ve played.

13. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I’ve owned/tried every speaker mentioned here. They are all great in their own ways, but I went with the Alnico Cream.

joecool324 likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I may be "odd man out" among many players, but I've never been a fan of Celestions. I've long preferred Jensens, or Eminence copies. Electro Harmonix used to carry their own brand, made by Eminence. They had Jensen copies, and Celestion copies......and I STILL liked the Jensen style.
    I even put an Eminence 12" in my Vox Pathfinder 15R....that's how much I prefer them. ;)

joecool324 likes this.
  15. silktone

silktone TDPRI Member Vendor Member

If you want that nice vintage fender alnico tone I’d say go for a WGS g12A or an eminence Eric Johnson model (ej-1240 - also designed with George Alessandro like the ga-sc64) - I preferred the wgs. Celestions are nice but leave a lot to be desired with clean tones in a fender, I think.

joecool324 likes this.
  16. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've found the ceramic G12m-65 Creamback to be my favorite DR speaker other than some of the original Oxfords from the mid-60's.

Warehouse speakers also makes an excellent copy at a much lower price. I'd use either one - but not a Vintage 30 or Greenback.

joecool324 likes this.
  17. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I know it's not Alnico, but I'd go with either an old or new (I've got both and love 'em) EVM12L. Great sounding speaker. Doesn't color your sound...only delivers whatever it is your amp already has. For Country, or just about any music style you can't do better! That speaker is Boss!

joecool324 likes this.
  18. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes TDPRI Member

I’m a huge fan of the Neo Creamback in my Deluxe Reverb. It comes standard in the 68 Custom with the Pine Cabinet.

joecool324 likes this.
  19. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

These are as close to NOS sound as you can get with these IMO if you want the stock Fendery sound.

joecool324 likes this.
  20. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

Ever considered 2x10? _526.JPG JBL D110fs. _525.JPG _527.JPG _527.JPG

joecool324 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.